I agree with Jerry, if we sign Zeke to a new deal, what if he holds out again?

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
No, you've completely misassessed the situation.

No one is asking Zeke to take a pay cut. I have no clue where you got this idea from, but it's completely off base.

And this has absoolutely nothing to do w/ greed on the Cowboys part. I have to ask, are you seriously unaware of the salary cap and how hard it is to build a contender w/ the limited amount of cap space?
Hes absolutely being asked to take a team friendly contact which insinuates the obivous, a contract below market price, a cut.

Who doesnt understand staying below the cap? I have no clue where you got that from but it's completely off base. I would never assume its easy to build a contender while staying under the cap; however, could you imagine being Zeke and what he means to this offense and then being expected to take a cut so that Dak could get the "market price" 35mil+ a year?

waldoputty

Reaction score
Hes absolutely being asked to take a team friendly contact which insinuates the obivous, a contract below market price, a cut.

Who doesnt understand staying below the cap? I have no clue where you got that from but it's completely off base. I would never assume its easy to build a contender while staying under the cap; however, could you imagine the being Zeke and what he means to this offense and then being expected to take a cut so that Dak could get the "market price" 35mil+ a year?

it is 2 years before the contract is up.
in which universe is a deal team-friendly.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Lets say we sign Zeke to a new 5 year contract...…...2 or 3 years from now,
Not only could he hold out, but what if, or should I say gets suspended yet once again?! Either way, it's a slam against the owner, team & fans. He's worse than cry baby Dez. Release him already.

Too much of a head case. If he's carrying on like this now, it's sure not going to get any better down the road. Gurley he's not. Not by a long shot. Neither on nor off the field.

I hope Jerry fines him for each practice and future games missed. Two can play. Zeke isn't worth the drama.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
it is 2 years before the contract is up.
in which universe is a deal team-friendly.

Who cares how many years until its up? Is he supposed to wait the 2 years plus get franchised for 2 more years? Touching the ball 350+ times for 4 more seasons and never cash in?
Unrealistic.

waldoputty

Reaction score
Who cares how many years until its up? Is he supposed to wait the 2 years plus get franchised for 2 more years? Touching the ball 350+ times for 4 more seasons and never cash in?
Unrealistic.

the team has a contract.
that is the cba.
the team has every right to force him to play out the contract.
he can hold out till game 11 and take 1/3 of the 2019 pay.
same for 2020.
those are the rules.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
the team has a contract.
that is the cba.
the team has every right to force him to play out the contract.
he can hold out till game 11 and take 1/3 of the 2019 pay.
same for 2020.
those are the rules.
We know the rules.
We know why they have Elliott frustrated.
We saw Bell sit the year out of a tag bc of them.
These rules are preventing our best player from being on the field week 1.

waldoputty

Reaction score
We know the rules.
We know why they have Elliott frustrated.
We saw Bell sit the year out of a tag bc of them.
These rules are preventing our best player from being on the field week 1.

good he is frustrated.
if the front office had any balls, they would stick it to him
his remaining prime is probably 3 years.
why pay more
save the $ for other players

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
good he is frustrated.
if the front office had any balls, they would stick it to him
his remaining prime is probably 3 years.
why pay more
save the $ for other players
Save our money and let go of our best player so we can then turn around and pay Dak 40 mil per year.
Makes sense.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Excellent points my friend..................its like a relationship with your significant other..........once trust is gone, its almost impossible to get it back. At that point, its probably in everybody's best interest to just go their separate ways.

I think we may have reached that point with Zeke, too much bad blood and lack of trust to have a solid relationship anymore.........time for trade if I am being totally honest.

It's hard to distinguish bad blood from posturing, but it's starting to look like bad blood brewing on Jerry's side. His rhetoric has slowly escalated over time.

Even so, if bad blood were all there was to it, I'd be more positive about this. But the problem goes beyond bad blood. The CBA is just bad for elite RBs. Unlike other players, their elite years are used up during their rookie contracts. They arguably *should* hold out, even miss a season, to preserve elite mileage on their bodies for free agent money.

RBs feel they are getting screwed, and they're right. Jerry has at least started to protest that Zeke isn't honoring his contract. When both sides feel the situation is unfair to them, it's very hard to find a win-win solution. That's when people dig in for No Deal.

JBond

Reaction score
Sammy Watkins got a 3 YR 48 million dollar deal with 30million guaranteed a couple years back. What exactly has he done? Even with Buffalo to warrant what he got? Zeke has been consistent on the field. You can make a strong argument that he is the best in the NFL at RB. Was Sammy Watkins even a top 15 WR when he signed? How important was he to the Bills' offense compared to Zeke? The truth is that there are overinflated positional salaries in the NFL. It's a passing league but Dallas employs an offense with a strong running focus. They have to either bite the bullet and pay Zeke or roll the dice.
Sammy Watkins was drafted by the Bills and given the big pay day by the Chiefs to help develop their young QB. Ended up Mahomes didn't really need him, but it was not a horrible plan.

If you will remember correctly, the Cowboys went after him for the same reason.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
No because of your blind rage.

Blind rage like this? Because Zeke is a moron?

giphy.gif

Nope, I'm just a 'calm' person making a comment on a message board. Just like everyone else here.

Flamma

Reaction score
wrong.
zeke has to come in at game 11.
if cowboys are horrid without zeke, they are not a superbowl contender with zeke.

You're arguing a point I never made. There is a wide range between horrid and a super bowl contender. I think the Cowboys might win 10 games without him. Only because I think the defense will play well.

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm not sold on the idea that Zeke makes us a SB contender. I think Gallup, Amari Cooper, Pollard, and our defense will do more to take Dallas to the SB than Zeke has ever thought of doing.
I think this combination of talent will make Zeke wish he was still a Cowboy rather than the fans wishing he was still a Cowboy.

That's wishful thinking. I don't think our offense is all that good with Zeke, let alone without. I am hoping that a healthier offensive line and the new OC will make a big difference. And yeah on the defense. A good D solves a lot of problems.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Wow. Some of you will fall for anything.

Zeke has to honor his contract but Jerry doesn't. Jerry cuts players with years left on their contracts all the time. How do you hold Zeke (or any player) accountable for the same thing you're willing to give Jerry (and all owners) a pass on.

Because they don't care when Jerry cuts an underperforming player but they get angry when a key player holds out.

waldoputty

Reaction score
You're arguing a point I never made. There is a wide range between horrid and a super bowl contender. I think the Cowboys might win 10 games without him. Only because I think the defense will play well.

if cowboys will win 10 games without him, then it will be fine considering he will return game 11 at the latest.

Flamma

Reaction score
if cowboys will win 10 games without him, then it will be fine considering he will return game 11 at the latest.

I get that. I don't know if you are old enough to remember the 1993 team, but that team was not going to the SB without Emmitt. And they were a better team than we have now. I think this team's offense relies on Elliott in a similar fashion.

waldoputty

Reaction score
I get that. I don't know if you are old enough to remember the 1993 team, but that team was not going to the SB without Emmitt. And they were a better team than we have now. I think this team's offense relies on Elliott in a similar fashion.

my first game was 1975
what applies in 1993 does not apply now.
rules have changed.
particularly for protecting the qb and wr.
advanced stats show you spend the $ for a 2nd tier rb while spending the $ on passing and defense.