I almost felt sorry for Garrett

WarDaddy

kidcrook
Reaction score
Last night's offense looked a lot like the offense that inspired Jerry to take away his play calling. I'm wondering if Garret didn't "offer" Moore some game planning advice.

Under Garrett, the offense has almost always been more conservative on the road. It’s like he feels if we don’t turn the ball over we’ll be in a better position to win in the end and he’s right. However, if you end up with a couple of turnovers against a strong defense, you lose playing all close to the vest.

kwcool619

Reaction score
Money game like beating Philly to become NFC East champs instead of fighting for WC had we lost? I have no issue of him being fired if this team fails this year. My whole beet is with those who want to put the blame on him when they lose yet act as if any win this team has that HC has nothing to do with it. I'm sorry I don't get that mindset except to say they want a different HC they can call puppet or have no clue. I find that humorous that fans who have done nothing seem to have all the answers for a guy who has spent almost his entire life around the game growing up, playing the game at the NFL level but he does not understand the game? OK. lol

Ok. Point understood. We are obviously on the opposite ends of the spectrum with this specific point, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's healthy to have these discussions. That's what makes the world go round.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Ok. Point understood. We are obviously on the opposite ends of the spectrum with this specific point, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's healthy to have these discussions. That's what makes the world go round.
He has no point! He can take Garrett and hit the drive in!!! How can any fan that knows anything about football defend this guy? Credit? I'll give him credit for his 2 playoff wins in 10 years!! Lol!!!

kwcool619

Reaction score
That was a slugfest and they needed the power, the OL was not opening the kind of holes that favors Pollard's talent. Elliott and Kamara are counting their bruises today. Man, they were slamming the runners.

Kamara is so hard to tackle anyway. That must have been a job in itself stopping him last night.

kwcool619

Reaction score
He has no point! He can take Garrett and hit the drive in!!! How can any fan that knows anything about football defend this guy? Credit? I'll give him credit for his 2 playoff wins in 10 years!! Lol!!!

I was just doing my best to understand where his mindset was.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They needed more finesse and speed last night. Power wasn't having it. A few nice runs by Dak as well and it would have thrown the defense off. Gave them something else to think about.

The fact that pollard was absent from the game plan is telling.

From what they are showing through the first 4 weeks, they are not using Pollard as a weapon or a tool in this offense. They simply use him to spell Zeke and mop up duty.

Small mindedness. He needs to be used in specific ways, every week. Instead of giving defenses ANOTHER thing to game plan for they don't have to game plan at all.
Hopefully this will be a learning tool for Moore and the offense. It better be, or the Saints will have provided the defensive model for other teams to follow. It might be that the Cowboys found things too easy in the first 3 games, and weren't prepared when they got more resistance this week. Really the only part of the offense that was positive yesterday was the use of the TE's. Both Witten and Jarwin were used as weapons and not just as safety valves and chain movers. The rest of the offense was pretty bland and ineffective though.

Dre11

Reaction score
There are plenty of fair complaints about Garrett, but I'm not sure this is one of them. How does a coach simply "take over the game"? Demote the offensive or defensive coordinator on the spot, scrap the game plan, and start calling plays himself? Belichick doesn't do a lot of talking to people on the sidelines either. At least not that we see. Who knows what is happening between possessions or between plays or during timeouts.

Exactly...lol

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't say there is only one possibility. I am not in the meeting rooms. My thoughts are like everyone else's here: impressions. You are asking for what cannot be given.
You directly supported the guy who wrote, without reservation and as if it were an unquestioned fact, that Garrett was responsible for the game plan and play calling, and contradicted me for suggesting that we do not know that.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He actually was looking pissed off at all the mistakes and calls going against the Cowboys. At one point, every single time the Cowboys had a good play, I was actually just waiting for the yellow flag to come up on the screen. It was almost predictably late, as if it's an afterthought.

The first half it seemed the Saints were getting all those flags, and the second half it was the Cowboys turn. Pretty frustrating game from that standpoint.

links18

Reaction score
You directly supported the guy who wrote, without reservation and as if it were an unquestioned fact, that Garrett was responsible for the game plan and play calling, and contradicted me for suggesting that we do not know that.

And? You are the one demanding that we "know" everything with a level of epistemological certainty that is impossible before we offer an analysis or an opinion, which defeats the purpose of this forum.

My eyes tell me that was a Garrett special last night. I could be wrong. I am prepared to live with that possibility.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And? You are the one demanding that we "know" everything with a level of epistemological certainty that is impossible before we offer an analysis or an opinion, which defeats the purpose of this forum.

My eyes tell me that was a Garrett special last night. I could be wrong. I am prepared to live with that possibility.
AND? lol. If a guys states something as a fact, and you support that statement as it is presented, and disagree with someone simply for saying that we don't know that to be fact, then you are in fact, supporting it as a fact.

So … show me where I demanded anything, much less that you know everything. All I said was that we do not know that Garrett took over the game plan and dictated the play calling this week. And we don't - you admitted that yourself - so you cannot fairly state as a fact that Garrett took the game planning away from Moore for this week. Much of it may have looked like past Cowboy offenses, but that very easily could have been because we were facing a much tougher defense this week and just didn't adjust well.

The other thing I said is that it is illogical to think that was the case after 3 games of huge offensive outputs and 30 point scoring. But, if the agenda is to give Moore credit when things go well, and Garrett the blame when they don't, logic isn't really part of the equation for you anyway.

FTWayne

Reaction score
We have Garrett right where we need him. Motivate the players, and let the coaches coach. Let Moore decide on who plays and what to run, same for the defense.

MikeT22

Reaction score
He looked like a neutered cat on the sideline. Every time they showed him, he had a blank look on his face. I guess Jerry has taken all of his authority. He wore a headset, but I never saw him talking to anyone. He yelled at the refs a couple of times, that about all I saw him do. It would be nice to have a real head coach that can take over a game when he needs to.

The only authority Garrett ever had was as OC when Jerry hired him. That was taken from him years ago and he's just been a headset wearing clapper ever since.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
I never blamed Garrett, I said I feel bad for him because he doesnt look like has has any authority. At what point does the head coach not get the blame. Any HC worth his salt steps up and take the blame, whether it's his fault or not.

Heck Dak takes blame for the lost even though we know it ain't his fault.Yet Garrett won't? When will we all wake up that the buck starts with Garrett and he is one if not the biggest reason why this team hasn't seem better success?