I almost felt sorry for Garrett

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The NO defense didn't play lights out. We played the typical Garrett/Linehan offense by running it up the middle on 1st down.

They dared us to pass the ball but our idiot of a head coach wouldn't want to put the game in Dak's hand.

They had 9 possessions in this game, and 4 started with runs as the 1st play. Conversely, last week they had 4 possessions of 6 that started with runs in the first half alone. The difference was not calling more runs on 1st down than before, it was that they weren't as effective as before. The same applies to the passing game. Just overall not nearly as effective as the first 3 games.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We watched the game and have the ability to decipher what we see. That offense last night was a carbon copy of the predictable play calling, vanilla play design, and ridiculously easy to cover route trees that Garrett has been pushing for years. It was not the same offense that ran in week 1. That gameplan had to have been forced down everyone’s throat and the team played exactly like they did last year. Garrett had a smirk on his face all game and looked like he was alienated from everyone. There is something going on behind the scenes. I suspect a power struggle for control of the offense. It has slowly morphed back into nothing but Garrett’s crap show offense. I suspect he had enough of all the accolades Moore was getting and sees the writing on the wall that he is out so he is forcing his way on the offense. He won this week and the team suffered for it. We can only hope the team mutinies and Moore gets control back and Garrett is forced out. He has to go ASAP.
You have the ability to believe what you want. The reality is Moore may have game planned for the Saints differently, or he may have adjusted play calling once he saw Dak had less time to throw than in earlier games. There is no logic behind the notion that after 3 straight 30+ point games they just decided to pull the offense away from Moore and have Garrett dictate the game plan and play calling.

Hell, maybe Moore just had a bad game. Did anyone really believe we were going to ride a wave of 30-40 point games to the Super Bowl with no bumps in the road?

The notion that you know something by the "smirk" on Garrett's face cracks me up. I guess that proves pretty clearly that logic isn't going to get in the way of the agenda. lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I understand why but he was also under the impression that OU would be getting away from the wishbone when he signed with OU and that never happened. In the end the transfer was the best for Aikman since he was not the athletic type to be running the ball as that offense requires. Barry was never a strict with his players something Troy felt he should be. I agree with the wild bunch of OU and I would also remind you of the reputation of the Hurricanes under Jimmy which was gangster U who had thugs on that team but if you were winning Jimmy said nothing. People talk about how strict he was in Dallas? He would cut a Curvin Richards for sleeping in a meeting yet Emmitt would constantly fall asleep during meeting and Jimmy never did a thing
LOL, it was only Barry's Bad Boys that kept Jimmy's at OSU off the front page. Barry and Jimmy were cut from the same cloth as long as the player played for Jimmy, Barry was a little more of a players' coach. He coached Booger and Jimmy at AR and was the influence that caused both to want to go into coaching but Booger was more money driven.

The only reason the offense didn't change was because Aikman broke his leg. But Barry had agreed to change it to get Troy because he was a stud in OK high school football. Aikman wanted to dispel any rumors about Barry and himself and did so in his A Football Life. He's the one that broke the story that Barry tried to get him on with Jimmy at Miami but it didn't work out. Troy was very appreciative of Barry trying to help him out, especially with another team that was a challenger to OU for a national title.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman did not like him to begin with which is why he left OU and went to UCLA and won an NCAA title after Aikman left
It was largely because Switzer had planned to go to a more pass oriented offense rather than the typical OU running offense (or at least he told Aikman that), but Switzer backed out of that decision which left Aikman in a bad spot.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It was largely because Switzer had planned to go to a more pass oriented offense rather than the typical OU running offense (or at least he told Aikman that), but Switzer backed out of that decision which left Aikman in a bad spot.
He didn't back out, Aikman broke his leg and left Switzer no choice but to revert back to his old offense but Aikman has verified that they were changing until he broke his leg.

RichmondFan

Reaction score
I cant get over the flashback to Linehan and Garretts cookie cutter, play not to lose game plan and lack of adjustments.

And neither excuse is palatable.

1. This was all Moores doing and he just screwed it up
2. He was told what to do and is a puppet himself.
I think Jerry should have called more deep pass plays last night!!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think Jerry should have called more deep pass plays last night!!

Somebody should have. How is it that we come out winging the ball deep like we are the Chiefs the first 3 weeks and then don't do it at all?

Really is confusing stuff.

Xeven

Reaction score
I’d say Garret could be a good broadcaster on one of the NFL shows but I think they only hire old Head Coaches that got a ring. Sorry Jason.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Somebody should have. How is it that we come out winging the ball deep like we are the Chiefs the first 3 weeks and then don't do it at all?

Really is confusing stuff.

I think part of it was that the pass blocking wasn't holding up as well as well as the first 3 weeks, but I agree they should have found a way to take a least a couple more shots down the field. They really needed to connect on a few more to back the defense off a little.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think part of it was that the pass blocking wasn't holding up as well as well as the first 3 weeks, but I agree they should have found a way to take a least a couple more shots down the field. They really needed to connect on a few more to back the defense off a little.

They needed more finesse and speed last night. Power wasn't having it. A few nice runs by Dak as well and it would have thrown the defense off. Gave them something else to think about.

The fact that pollard was absent from the game plan is telling.

From what they are showing through the first 4 weeks, they are not using Pollard as a weapon or a tool in this offense. They simply use him to spell Zeke and mop up duty.

Small mindedness. He needs to be used in specific ways, every week. Instead of giving defenses ANOTHER thing to game plan for they don't have to game plan at all.

links18

Reaction score
The difference is I didn't claim I knew it. The difference is I am recognizing there are multiple possibilities whereas you are saying there is only one. And the reality is, if there had been identical play calling, but the pass blocking was better and the running game was more effective nobody would have questioned this, but because those things didn't happen it is just a convenient reason to claim that they switched it up and let Garrett dictate the game plan and play calling. The other reality is, people were deluding themselves if they thought we were going to go through the season without Moore experiencing some bumps in the road.

I didn't say there is only one possibility. I am not in the meeting rooms. My thoughts are like everyone else's here: impressions. You are asking for what cannot be given.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No Gallup and how healthy is Cooper? That Saints secondary is a good one too.

This was also the best DL, by far, that they've faced and the health of that OL is a ? to me.

Tommy

Reaction score
Regardless of which coach did what last night, we all knew that coaching would cost us AT LEAST one game this year. That's status quo for a Garrett lead team. Our kicker will also cost us AT LEAST one game this year. Here we sit, one of those games down and hopefully not many more to go. Did anyone here really think Garrett was going to out-coach Peyton when it really counted?...
We lost because our offensive line couldn’t block and our receivers couldn’t get separation.

The Saints outplayed us.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I didn't say there is only one possibility. I am not in the meeting rooms. My thoughts are like everyone else's here: impressions. You are asking for what cannot be given.
Omer is all knowing......lol

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
His career rests on a first year OC that struggled last night. Playcalling was iffy but had some mistakes that were on the players. And the refs didn’t help us.

As HC, he needed to calm his rook OC and emphasize areas of strengths and opportunities.

That is what managers and leaders are expected to do, especially in crisis.

dfense

Reaction score
He looked very serious and stern, but I don't see that he looked "out of it". He's actually looked the same in the previous games this year, at least until the lead became comfortable.
He actually was looking pissed off at all the mistakes and calls going against the Cowboys. At one point, every single time the Cowboys had a good play, I was actually just waiting for the yellow flag to come up on the screen. It was almost predictably late, as if it's an afterthought.