CFZ I am already thinking offseason

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Season is obviously not over but I need something to occupy my time. My offseason plan (with the easily assumed fact that this team will just spit the bit again at the end like they've done for years now):

1) Dak is done. But his cap number is tricky. Ideally you'd like to trade him for even some scrap picks but his pre June 1 trade cap hit is crazy (same as his pre June 1 cut hit). Unless I am missing something, I don't think you can trade him pre June 1 and designate him a post June 1 cap hit. So I bite the bullet, don't concern myself with the scrap picks you might get and just cut him, designated June 1.

2) McCarthy is shown the door. He was a retread hire and not a very good one. What does he do well? As HC, the team is not very well coached and lacks discipline as once again they appear to be heading towards Top 10 status in penalties. And the penalties we are accumulating are mindnumbing. The pre-snap penalties are pathetic. That's coaching. What does he well as OC? Nothing. Offense is bland. For all the criticism of Dak, a quality coordinator would design an offense that gets Dak some easy throws. Watch what Shanahan is doing and how he creates the open looks for Purdy. Where is that with McCarthy? There's a reason he got run out of GB despite having Rodgers. He's repeating it again here.

3) My eye is on Shane Waldron in Seattle as the new HC. Coached under McVay in LA and now is sucking knowledge off Carroll. In his first year in Seattle he helped turn Geno Smith into an extremely competent QB. Smith's play this year hasn't fallen off that much. He seems like the perfect guy to work with Lance. Waldron is also young (44). Waldron likely is going to be a hot name this offseason so Cowboys need to strike fast. Jerry can't sit around with a thumb up his butt for a couple of weeks figuring out what to do while all the hot shot names get sucked up. Bienemy is my #2 but a lot depends on how he does in Washington this year. He doesn't have a lot to work with, especially at QB, but if he squeezes competence out of that group, I can live with him.

4) Lance is the guy in 2024. You take your lumps with Waldron working with him. You also draft a QB with one of your first 3 picks. You have to rebuild the QB room.

5) I am not as down on Quinn as some are but ideally, if you could talk him back into being DC under Waldron, I could live with that. But I could also see Waldron having his own ideas for DC and that's perfectly fine with me. I am not in love with Quinn.

Bold moves. Which means Jerry would never, ever do it, because 1) it would be outside his comfort zone, 2) he hates admitting failure and cutting Dak would be just that, 3) Waldron is likely going to have his pick of jobs, many of which will give him more control than Jerry will be willing to give up.

So basically, we are FUBAR'd.
Yep, I know this Season is going to end poorly, so I will watch the games, but without a lot of enthusiasm.

BigD5

Reaction score
Season is obviously not over but I need something to occupy my time. My offseason plan (with the easily assumed fact that this team will just spit the bit again at the end like they've done for years now):

1) Dak is done. But his cap number is tricky. Ideally you'd like to trade him for even some scrap picks but his pre June 1 trade cap hit is crazy (same as his pre June 1 cut hit). Unless I am missing something, I don't think you can trade him pre June 1 and designate him a post June 1 cap hit. So I bite the bullet, don't concern myself with the scrap picks you might get and just cut him, designated June 1.

2) McCarthy is shown the door. He was a retread hire and not a very good one. What does he do well? As HC, the team is not very well coached and lacks discipline as once again they appear to be heading towards Top 10 status in penalties. And the penalties we are accumulating are mindnumbing. The pre-snap penalties are pathetic. That's coaching. What does he well as OC? Nothing. Offense is bland. For all the criticism of Dak, a quality coordinator would design an offense that gets Dak some easy throws. Watch what Shanahan is doing and how he creates the open looks for Purdy. Where is that with McCarthy? There's a reason he got run out of GB despite having Rodgers. He's repeating it again here.

3) My eye is on Shane Waldron in Seattle as the new HC. Coached under McVay in LA and now is sucking knowledge off Carroll. In his first year in Seattle he helped turn Geno Smith into an extremely competent QB. Smith's play this year hasn't fallen off that much. He seems like the perfect guy to work with Lance. Waldron is also young (44). Waldron likely is going to be a hot name this offseason so Cowboys need to strike fast. Jerry can't sit around with a thumb up his butt for a couple of weeks figuring out what to do while all the hot shot names get sucked up. Bienemy is my #2 but a lot depends on how he does in Washington this year. He doesn't have a lot to work with, especially at QB, but if he squeezes competence out of that group, I can live with him.

4) Lance is the guy in 2024. You take your lumps with Waldron working with him. You also draft a QB with one of your first 3 picks. You have to rebuild the QB room.

5) I am not as down on Quinn as some are but ideally, if you could talk him back into being DC under Waldron, I could live with that. But I could also see Waldron having his own ideas for DC and that's perfectly fine with me. I am not in love with Quinn.

Bold moves. Which means Jerry would never, ever do it, because 1) it would be outside his comfort zone, 2) he hates admitting failure and cutting Dak would be just that, 3) Waldron is likely going to have his pick of jobs, many of which will give him more control than Jerry will be willing to give up.

Where do you morons get off on thinking Trey Lance is anything but a bust? He freaking sucks. SF isn’t stupid. They knew they screwed up and got a 4th rd pick out of it at least.

I can’t believe the amount of start Trey lance posts I see. Um… hello?? Genius Kylie Shanahan couldn’t turn this pumpkin into a starting QB!! What makes you think fat Mike can?

kevm3

Reaction score
I've heard the Pats are wiling to fire Belichick if things don't improve. Anybody willing to take a flyer on Bill if we don't get to the 3rd round at least?

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

After watching this team crawl into a shell...after all the crap talking....I'm down with a total rebuild. This team just continues to bring in people with very little back bone. If a player disrespected the star like T.O. did...think there is anybody running out onto that field to kick some ***? I highly doubt it.

CWR

Reaction score
You know, too. But you enjoy as well.

Lol, I probably do, but refuse to speak in absolutes with something as fickle as the NFL. If I have to abandon all hope I won't even watch.

Sydla

Reaction score
Where do you morons get off on thinking Trey Lance is anything but a bust? He freaking sucks. SF isn’t stupid. They knew they screwed up and got a 4th rd pick out of it at least.

I can’t believe the amount of start Trey lance posts I see. Um… hello?? Genius Kylie Shanahan couldn’t turn this pumpkin into a starting QB!! What makes you think fat Mike can?
Where do you get off assuming people think he's good? I never did. But they brought him in for a reason and if you get rid of Dak, he's clearly going to get a chance as a reclamation project. And in my plan, I even stated you had to draft a QB as well in the next draft if Dak is gone.

So your rant seems............... weird.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
Fans like this complain about the players on the team giving up and call them gutless.

Go figure

Sydla

Reaction score
Fans like this complain about the players on the team giving up and call them gutless.

Go figure
You won't see a post calling players gutless or giving up from me.

And honestly, expecting guys to not go through the motions late in a game when they are down 35-10 or 42-10 is kind of dumb. When a game gets out of hand, pretty much everyone tends to go through the motions at that point in a game.

Pass2Run

Reaction score
If, big fat IF, McCarthy is fired, the next HC is Dan Quinn.

Or did someone forget that he skipped out on a HC offer in Tampa to stay in Dallas? You don't think Jerral Wayne told DQ he'll be the next HC when the time arises? Isn't that how we convinced DQ to stay? Or am I missing something?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
I've heard the Pats are wiling to fire Belichick if things don't improve. Anybody willing to take a flyer on Bill if we don't get to the 3rd round at least?
31 other teams may want to take a flyer (ok maybe an exageration, but probably 26 teams).

the question is not us just going and getting bill. the question is would Bill work under a GM/Owner like Jerry

BigD5

Reaction score
Where do you get off assuming people think he's good? I never did. But they brought him in for a reason and if you get rid of Dak, he's clearly going to get a chance as a reclamation project. And in my plan, I even stated you had to draft a QB as well in the next draft if Dak is gone.

So your rant seems............... weird.
You said Lance is the guy in 2024. I’ve seen several posters on here saying to put Lance in and he needs to play or start etc.

That’s just unbelievable to me that anyone thinks shanahan and SF couldn’t turn this guy into even a decent backup, they picked Sam darnold over lance, but yet Mike McCarthy is gonna make him into even a starting QB.

It’s just so dumb to even think this guy will contribute anything to an NFL team

Sydla

Reaction score
You said Lance is the guy in 2024. I’ve seen several posters on here saying to put Lance in and he needs to play or start etc.

That’s just unbelievable to me that anyone thinks shanahan and SF couldn’t turn this guy into even a decent backup, they picked Sam darnold over lance, but yet Mike McCarthy is gonna make him into even a starting QB.

It’s just so dumb to even think this guy will contribute anything to an NFL team
Yeah because in my plan, with Dak gone, your QB room is now Rush, Lance and a rookie QB. So the odds would be that Lance would be given the first crack at the QB spot while they try to develop the rookie QB. Nowhere did I insinuate that Lance would be the guy going forward. More than likely, he'd just be a placeholder until the young QB you drafted is ready.

There's nothing to lose in seeing what Lance has or if he can be salvaged. But no one predicted he'd be the guy going forward either.