CFZ I am already thinking offseason

Sydla

Reaction score
Season is obviously not over but I need something to occupy my time. My offseason plan (with the easily assumed fact that this team will just spit the bit again at the end like they've done for years now):

1) Dak is done. But his cap number is tricky. Ideally you'd like to trade him for even some scrap picks but his pre June 1 trade cap hit is crazy (same as his pre June 1 cut hit). Unless I am missing something, I don't think you can trade him pre June 1 and designate him a post June 1 cap hit. So I bite the bullet, don't concern myself with the scrap picks you might get and just cut him, designated June 1.

2) McCarthy is shown the door. He was a retread hire and not a very good one. What does he do well? As HC, the team is not very well coached and lacks discipline as once again they appear to be heading towards Top 10 status in penalties. And the penalties we are accumulating are mindnumbing. The pre-snap penalties are pathetic. That's coaching. What does he well as OC? Nothing. Offense is bland. For all the criticism of Dak, a quality coordinator would design an offense that gets Dak some easy throws. Watch what Shanahan is doing and how he creates the open looks for Purdy. Where is that with McCarthy? There's a reason he got run out of GB despite having Rodgers. He's repeating it again here.

3) My eye is on Shane Waldron in Seattle as the new HC. Coached under McVay in LA and now is sucking knowledge off Carroll. In his first year in Seattle he helped turn Geno Smith into an extremely competent QB. Smith's play this year hasn't fallen off that much. He seems like the perfect guy to work with Lance. Waldron is also young (44). Waldron likely is going to be a hot name this offseason so Cowboys need to strike fast. Jerry can't sit around with a thumb up his butt for a couple of weeks figuring out what to do while all the hot shot names get sucked up. Bienemy is my #2 but a lot depends on how he does in Washington this year. He doesn't have a lot to work with, especially at QB, but if he squeezes competence out of that group, I can live with him.

4) Lance is the guy in 2024. You take your lumps with Waldron working with him. You also draft a QB with one of your first 3 picks. You have to rebuild the QB room.

5) I am not as down on Quinn as some are but ideally, if you could talk him back into being DC under Waldron, I could live with that. But I could also see Waldron having his own ideas for DC and that's perfectly fine with me. I am not in love with Quinn.

Bold moves. Which means Jerry would never, ever do it, because 1) it would be outside his comfort zone, 2) he hates admitting failure and cutting Dak would be just that, 3) Waldron is likely going to have his pick of jobs, many of which will give him more control than Jerry will be willing to give up.

So basically, we are FUBAR'd.

CWR

Reaction score
Geez man, there's gonna be an excessive amount of time to ponder the off season. Why rush it? Five games in is nothing. There are endless changes throughout a season. I realize how pathetic we looked Sunday night, but get a grip.

How many times have we been early season champions? The niners were struggling this time last year. There is a plethora of teams who have risen from the ashes only to win it all. This is still an any given Sunday league.

I will always bet the field, but that doesn't mean it's over before it gets started.

What matters is who is healthy and playing good football in December/January.

visionary

Reaction score
Season is obviously not over but I need something to occupy my time. My offseason plan (with the easily assumed fact that this team will just spit the bit again at the end like they've done for years now):

1) Dak is done. But his cap number is tricky. Ideally you'd like to trade him for even some scrap picks but his pre June 1 trade cap hit is crazy (same as his pre June 1 cut hit). Unless I am missing something, I don't think you can trade him pre June 1 and designate him a post June 1 cap hit. So I bite the bullet, don't concern myself with the scrap picks you might get and just cut him, designated June 1.

2) McCarthy is shown the door. He was a retread hire and not a very good one. What does he do well? As HC, the team is not very well coached and lacks discipline as once again they appear to be heading towards Top 10 status in penalties. And the penalties we are accumulating are mindnumbing. The pre-snap penalties are pathetic. That's coaching. What does he well as OC? Nothing. Offense is bland. For all the criticism of Dak, a quality coordinator would design an offense that gets Dak some easy throws. Watch what Shanahan is doing and how he creates the open looks for Purdy. Where is that with McCarthy? There's a reason he got run out of GB despite having Rodgers. He's repeating it again here.

3) My eye is on Shane Waldron in Seattle as the new HC. Coached under McVay in LA and now is sucking knowledge off Carroll. In his first year in Seattle he helped turn Geno Smith into an extremely competent QB. Smith's play this year hasn't fallen off that much. He seems like the perfect guy to work with Lance. Waldron is also young (44). Waldron likely is going to be a hot name this offseason so Cowboys need to strike fast. Jerry can't sit around with a thumb up his butt for a couple of weeks figuring out what to do while all the hot shot names get sucked up. Bienemy is my #2 but a lot depends on how he does in Washington this year. He doesn't have a lot to work with, especially at QB, but if he squeezes competence out of that group, I can live with him.

4) Lance is the guy in 2024. You take your lumps with Waldron working with him. You also draft a QB with one of your first 3 picks. You have to rebuild the QB room.

5) I am not as down on Quinn as some are but ideally, if you could talk him back into being DC under Waldron, I could live with that. But I could also see Waldron having his own ideas for DC and that's perfectly fine with me. I am not in love with Quinn.

Bold moves. Which means Jerry would never, ever do it, because 1) it would be outside his comfort zone, 2) he hates admitting failure and cutting Dak would be just that, 3) Waldron is likely going to have his pick of jobs, many of which will give him more control than Jerry will be willing to give up.

Good ideas but if Mccarthy goes youll get DQ as HC. No way Quinn comes back as DC

ChronicCowboy

Reaction score
I don’t see McCarthy getting fired even if we have a losing record. Jerry will delude himself into thinking we’re a couple of moves away.

MM’s contract is up after next season and I doubt he gets a second deal unless we get to the NFC title game this or next season.

Sydla

Reaction score
Geez man, there's gonna be an excessive amount of time to ponder the off season. Why rush it? Five games in is nothing. There are endless changes throughout a season. I realize how pathetic we looked Sunday night, but get a grip.

How many times have we been early season champions? The niners were struggling this time last year. There is a plethora of teams who have risen from the ashes only to win it all. This is still an any given Sunday league.

I will always bet the field, but that doesn't mean it's over before it gets started.

Because I didn't to spend any time thinking about that crap fest from Sunday night or the reality that we are probably staring at another deflating season.

You can convince yourself that yeah, this team is worthy of making a run. I'll think that after they actually show us. Thus far, they have proven to be nothing all that different from past disappointments.

Reactions: CWR

goshan

Reaction score
Good to hear you give up that easily. Certainly a quality in life to be proud of.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Keep in mind you cant trade Prescott. You are going to have to cut him unless you can get him to waive his NTC. Possible but I wouldn't count on it

AshyLarry06

Reaction score

The reality for many of us who are finally willing to admit it is this team will go nowhere with Dak Prescott. This reality is a fact, and no matter how well the rest of this team plays, no matter what the history of the league has been, no matter any other extenuating factor, bottom line is team's are led by their QB in today's NFL. We do not have a QB capable of leading this team anywhere but maybe one playoff victory. They will fail bc Dak is not good enough and will not beat SF, Philly, Detroit, or even Seattle in the postseason, IF we even get there. Dak has regressed past a point I can even recognize anymore. He was a much better QB just 2 years ago. It's actually sad to see.

CWR

Reaction score
Because I didn't to spend any time thinking about that crap fest from Sunday night or the reality that we are probably staring at another deflating season.

You can convince yourself that yeah, this team is worthy of making a run. I'll think that after they actually show us. Thus far, they have proven to be nothing all that different from past disappointments.

Make em prove it is probably the right approach. I'm just tryna help you off the ledge for a few more weeks brother. I was on team tank after week 1 last year, stranger things have happened.

Sydla

Reaction score
The reality for many of us who are finally willing to admit it is this team will go nowhere with Dak Prescott. This reality is a fact, and no matter how well the rest of this team plays, no matter what the history of the league has been, no matter any other extenuating factor, bottom line is team's are led by their QB in today's NFL. We do not have a QB capable of leading this team anywhere but maybe one playoff victory. They will fail bc Dak is not good enough and will not beat SF, Philly, Detroit, or even Seattle in the postseason, IF we even get there. Dak has regressed past a point I can even recognize him anymore. He was a much better QB just 2 years ago. It's actually sad to see.
They are limited in so many ways. But sure, anything is possible I guess but what we have seen thus far this year, I can't put faith in any run at this point.

Does Prescott in January give you hope?

Can you put faith in McCarthy dialing up great game plans come January?

The answer to both questions, right now, is no. And if you can't put faith in your QB and OC, not sure how one can be confident in a SB run here.

Sydla

Reaction score
Make em prove it is probably the right approach. I'm just tryna help you off the ledge for a few more weeks brother. I was on team tank after week 1 last year, stranger things have happened.
I am not on any ledge.

I doesn't take much brain power to still watch the season unfold but also talk about what you'd like to see happen if/when the inevitable happens.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I wouldn't waste my time with Lance. He isnt going to be the guy. 2024 would basically have to be a tank year in order to position yourself for a franchise QB.

If they strike lightning with Lance, then they are getting a Tannihill/Dalton caliber player and that isnt getting us anywhere.

CWR

Reaction score
I am not on any ledge.

I doesn't take much brain power to still watch the season unfold but also talk about what you'd like to see happen if/when the inevitable happens.

Anyone watching without a glimmer of hope is a masochist, but I'm no one to judge. Enjoy

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yeah, I forgot about the NTC.
I mean it is possible. Wilson had one and waived it. But Prescott has the control there not us. If you can move him, you could probably get an late day 1. People will scoff at that value, but starting caliber QB's have alot of value even if there are limitations

Sydla

Reaction score
Anyone watching without a glimmer of hope is a masochist, but I'm no one to judge. Enjoy
Who said no glimmer of hope? Anything it possible. But history says don't put a ton of faith in the Cowboys going on a run, especially after this kind of start where your QB looks lost and the OC seems kinda clueless.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score

You’re a quitter. Always have been and always will be so no surprise.