I am convinced WE OVERRATE the talent on defnse

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
And this should really bug Jerry Jones. I always said we would never know how good Newman was until there are other CBs on the team good enough to the point Newman will not continue to get a free pass. And they all look average to me. Not saying they are bums like Jacques Reeves....but they don't even look like Kevin Smith good.

And it really annoyed me all summer when we just HAD to have all of these guys that were free agents. We could not live without Hamlin. The entire organization felt this way....well what exactly has he done? Again, because the Safety play had been so bad in Dallas for so long...ANYONE would look like a "must" have.

The reality is this....the only upper echelon defenders we have are Ware and Ratllff. And like I said 1000 times...and Jerry just confirmed it....we tried to re-sign Canty, but could not get it done. And the reason it did not get done is because I will bet my mortgage he is asking for TWICE what we gave Ratliff. And Jerry just cannot do that. And can you blame him? What do these guys really do. Jerry re-signs more of our own guys than any other GM. This unit should dominate. They are bend but don't break defense that wait for the other team to make a mistake instead of forcing them to make a mistake.

We rush the QB like a guy having s*x for the first time. We are right there, ready to sack the guy....and we get so nervous/excited we let the guy go before we even get started. Have you ever seen more QBs shrug our defenders off in your life?

And why on earth would you give Newman 50M, risk the PR hit on Pac Man Jones...draft Jenkins in the 1st round...give Henry a double digit signing bonus, give Roy a double digit signing bonus...give Hamlin a double digit signing bonus...and then ask them to let the WRs catch the ball...then make the tackle? I will tell you why....these guys in the secondary are not trusted by the coaches...and I am convinced it is because they are not as good as we the fans think they are

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I think the players are fine for the most part, all offseason we heard about several of them begging the staff to be more aggressive and play more straight man to man defense, and we hardly ever see it.

Newman, Jones and Jenkins are pure man to man CB's...Henry should probably be moved to FS permanently...

its a case of square peg in the round hole IMO

khiladi

Reaction score
bbailey423;2295008 said:
And this should really bug Jerry Jones. I always said we would never know how good Newman was until there are other CBs on the team good enough to the point Newman will not continue to get a free pass. And they all look average to me. Not saying they are bums like Jacques Reeves....but they don't even look like Kevin Smith good.

Kevin Smith was one of the best CBs in the game...

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
I think you guys are a little high on your teams players, same as I would likely be on my teams players.

However (timing related), you are saying pass rush is a problem. That has been an issue for a while, the Commanders have the same problem.

Money spent is not the issue.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;2295093 said:
I think you guys are a little high on your teams players, same as I would likely be on my teams players.

However (timing related), you are saying pass rush is a problem. That has been an issue for a while, the Commanders have the same problem.

Money spent is not the issue.

so you just going to comment on every thread???

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2295008 said:
And why on earth would you give Newman 50M, risk the PR hit on Pac Man Jones...draft Jenkins in the 1st round...give Henry a double digit signing bonus, give Roy a double digit signing bonus...give Hamlin a double digit signing bonus...and then ask them to let the WRs catch the ball...then make the tackle? I will tell you why....these guys in the secondary are not trusted by the coaches...and I am convinced it is because they are not as good as we the fans think they are

Our secondary is a joke. It's unreal too seeing how much we have invested back there.
#1 picks like Newman and Roy and FA signee Henry vs. #1 picks like Rogers and Landry and FA signee Springs. There's no comparison.

And while the secondary is bad, we do get some pressure from upfront, but not enough, and seem to miss the sack more often than not.

This defense is vastly overrated and is a major weakness. With all the #1 and first day draft picks on it there's no way they shouldn't be dominant. But in reality, it'll be the main reason we won't get to the Super Bowl.

Velvet Jones

Reaction score
bbailey423;2295008 said:

And it really annoyed me all summer when we just HAD to have all of these guys that were free agents. We could not live without Hamlin. The entire organization felt this way....well what exactly has he done? Again, because the Safety play had been so bad in Dallas for so long...ANYONE would look like a "must" have.

The reality is this....the only upper echelon defenders we have are Ware and Ratllff. And like I said 1000 times...and Jerry just confirmed it....we tried to re-sign Canty, but could not get it done. And the reason it did not get done is because I will bet my mortgage he is asking for TWICE what we gave Ratliff. And Jerry just cannot do that. And can you blame him? What do these guys really do. Jerry re-signs more of our own guys than any other GM. This unit should dominate. They are bend but don't break defense that wait for the other team to make a mistake instead of forcing them to make a mistake.

We rush the QB like a guy having s*x for the first time. We are right there, ready to sack the guy....and we get so nervous/excited we let the guy go before we even get started. Have you ever seen more QBs shrug our defenders off in your life?

How many threads are you going to start about all the huge issues we have? Not being sarcastic. I just want to know how many tissues I should have on hand for you?

:violin:

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I'm not sure if Newman is overrated because he just doesn't look healthy to me but he sure got his butt handed to him.

The one player that is very overrated or at least over hyped is Tank. He's done nothing so far this season.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bach;2295107 said:
Our secondary is a joke. It's unreal too seeing how much we have invested back there.
#1 picks like Newman and Roy and FA signee Henry vs. #1 picks like Rogers and Landry and FA signee Springs. There's no comparison.

And while the secondary is bad, we do get some pressure from upfront, but not enough, and seem to miss the sack more often than not.

This defense is vastly overrated and is a major weakness. With all the #1 and first day draft picks on it there's no way they shouldn't be dominant. But in reality, it'll be the main reason we won't get to the Super Bowl.

IDK if you can consider us bad our defensive philosophy is terrible. Our CB line up on the first down makers or behind hard to make plays that way,

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2295111 said:
I'm not sure if Newman is overrated because he just doesn't look healthy to me but he sure got his butt handed to him.

The one player that is very overrated or at least over hyped is Tank. He's done nothing so far this season.

For a 3-4 defense we definitely don't have the stud NT. I like Ratliff but he's really out of position.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2295115 said:
IDK if you can consider us bad our defensive philosophy is terrible. Our CB line up on the first down makers or behind hard to make plays that way,
don't you think the coaches would allow the CBs to get in somebodies face if they think those guys could actually do it?

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
DeMarcus Ware's decline in play is as big an issue as anything. I think his 1 sack per game (coupled with fans not bothering to actually watch) has masked the fact that he's not half the player he was the past two seasons.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
bbailey423;2295119 said:
don't you think the coaches would allow the CBs to get in somebodies face if they think those guys could actually do it?

IDC what the coaches think. It's what I've seen I've seen newman man up on Moss be4 and shut him down and various other WR. I've seen him do bang up jobs in man coverage along with Pacman. I'm pretty sure they have seen this before also why they aren't doing it is beyond me.

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
JordanTaber;2295128 said:
DeMarcus Ware's decline in play is as big an issue as anything. I think his 1 sack per game (coupled with fans not bothering to actually watch) has masked the fact that he's not half the player he was the past two seasons.
too often he flails away like he is just learning how to play the position....very strange indeed....yesterday you would have thought Campbell was a greased pig the way he slid off him

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score

If he has continues that trend he will have 16 on the season

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2295111 said:

I agree, he probably is nowhere near 100%. He probably needed surgery, avoided it so he could play w/o missing most or all of the season and the team downplayed it, hoping teams wouldnt figure it out and go after him. That said, he was nowhere near as bad as people are making it out to be. He slipped on one play and got beat on a great doubkle move on the other.

yeah he hasnt done anything yet, and niether has Ken Hamlin, who IMO has been by far the worst player in the secondary so far this year. I was never on board with us giving him the mega bucks to keep him and he is really playing poorly vs the run and the pass. With as much zone coverage as we are playing and where he is playing on the field, there's not much excuse for him to be totally invisible.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Bach;2295116 said:
For a 3-4 defense we definitely don't have the stud NT. I like Ratliff but he's really out of position.

I have been wanting a big NT for a while. Rat is great but Tank is a waste of a roster spot right now.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

He has a sack in like 6 or 7 straight games. Multiply that over the course of a season thats a 16 sack season and thats only if he does have a multi-sack game.

Don't bump your head of the falling sky. :rolleyes:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2295137 said:
I have been wanting a big NT for a while. Rat is great but Tank is a waste of a roster spot right now.

I still think the majority of our front 7 players fit the 4-3 better than the 3-4.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
yeah he hasnt done anything yet, and niether has Ken Hamlin, who IMO has been by far the worst player in the secondary so far this year. I was never on board with us giving him the mega bucks to keep him and he is really playing poorly vs the run and the pass. With as much zone coverage as we are playing and where he is playing on the field, there's not much excuse for him to be totally invisible.

I was against Hamlin also and get laughed at and told how 1337 ZOMG Hamlin best safety since Woodson and etc etc etc.