I am convinced WE OVERRATE the talent on defnse

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
nyc;2295182 said:
Really? Who would be our linebackers? Who plays MLB? James or Thomas? James wouldn't be a very good OLB in a 3-4. You could have Burrnett and Carpenter. A starting trio of Carpenter, Thomas, Burrnett with James becoming a backup. Justin Rogers and Spencer couldn't play LBer anymore since they don't fit a 4-3 LB that would become backup DEs and then we have the problem with having of having way to many DTs with Canty, Spears, Ratliff, Tank, Bowman, and Hatcher.

So, we have to many DTs and not enough LBers. Sorry buddy, our players do not fit a 4-3 better than the current 3-4.

Anyhow, I prefer the 3-4 as it's more dynamic.

We'd need to add some typical 4-3 LB's, but I absolutely could runa 4-3 with Ware at RDE, Spencer backing him up. Ellis and maybe Canty at LDE, Spears at one DT spot and then Ratliff at the other, or maybe Johnson and ratliff at DT and Spears at LDE (where he really belongs IMO, as a 4-3 DE)...Hatcher could also play either LDE or DT in a 4-3 I think.

At LB I could make do for now with Thomas or James at MLB (prob Thomas), Burnett at WOLB (where I think he would be fine) and Carpenter at SOLB.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2295189 said:
Why couldn't James be a line backer??? If we have Hatcher Ratliff Ware Ellis and Spencer as our De's it will get crowded but we would have to mix and match stuff however a D Line of Ware Ellis Tank Ratliff I'd still rather have ratliff on the inside opposed to canty with a LB core of James-THomas-Burnett. Would prob be the best thing for us if we were to go that route.

I didn't say James couldn't play linebacker, he WOULD play linebacker. As a MLB. Problem is we have Zach Thomas playing MLB. James isn't an outside linebacker in a 4-3. We have two players that can play OLB in a 4-3. No backup OLB with way to many DTs. We couldn't make a change. At best, we could play a hybrid. In a since we do that sometimes now.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2295215 said:
Cleveland traded for Rodgers

We should have made a move for him, is what I meant. It didn't take much...
Wade was simply infatuated with Ratliff as an NT...

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dbair1967;2295218 said:
We'd need to add some typical 4-3 LB's, but I absolutely could runa 4-3 with Ware at RDE, Spencer backing him up. Ellis and maybe Canty at LDE, Spears at one DT spot and then Ratliff at the other, or maybe Johnson and ratliff at DT and Spears at LDE (where he really belongs IMO, as a 4-3 DE)...Hatcher could also play either LDE or DT in a 4-3 I think.

At LB I could make do for now with Thomas or James at MLB (prob Thomas), Burnett at WOLB (where I think he would be fine) and Carpenter at SOLB.

Canty can't play DE in a 4-3. He is 295lbs. They could consistently run wide or swing pass to his side. This is why 4-3 DEs range from 250-270lbs instead of 300lbs. DT are around 300lbs in a 4-3. Canty would have to move inside.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
khiladi;2295224 said:

I agree we need a big NT but I don't care much for Rodgers. He's to out of shape. He was gasping for wind by the 2nd quarter when we played them. The only reason he got to Romo was because Proctor sucks.

khiladi

Reaction score
nyc;2295228 said:
Canty can't play DE in a 4-3. He is 295lbs. They could consistently run wide or swing pass to his side. This is why 4-3 DEs range from 250-270lbs instead of 300lbs. DT are around 300lbs in a 4-3. Canty would have to move inside.

The fact that Canty isn't getting to the QB, while playing in-between Ratliff and Ware should be enough to tell you, he just isn't that good...

slick325

Reaction score
dbair1967;2295050 said:
I think the players are fine for the most part, all offseason we heard about several of them begging the staff to be more aggressive and play more straight man to man defense, and we hardly ever see it.

Newman, Jones and Jenkins are pure man to man CB's...Henry should probably be moved to FS permanently...

its a case of square peg in the round hole IMO

You hit the nail on the head!!! :bow:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
khiladi;2295212 said:
Those were coverage sacks... The fact that even Campbell avoided sacks makes it all the mor apparent it is a trend with our defense not being able to get to the QB, then the other team's shiftiness....

Tough crowd.

Teams are allowed to get coverage sacks.

Dallas has been getting good pressure on QB's all year and i'd bet the stats would show that.

Yesterday we lost because they ran the ball down our throats and had managable 3rd downs.

Its hard to get a lot of sacks vs West Coast teams anyways and we've played 3 in a row.

Our problem is we don't play the short pass aggressive enough and west coast teams will eat us up in the short passing game if we play soft.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
khiladi;2295224 said:

Ratliff is a pretty damn good NT. I'm not sure why people are whining about it all the sudden. Nobody was whining last week when he completely dominated the Packers.

You know, the Commanders studied the Packers game tape and probably decided to make sure he didn't have a repeat performance.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
khiladi;2295231 said:
The fact that Canty isn't getting to the QB, while playing in-between Ratliff and Ware should be enough to tell you, he just isn't that good...

I'm aware of what Canty can and can't do. Not sure why you posted that.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
nyc;2295236 said:
Ratliff is a pretty damn good NT. I'm not sure why people are whining about it all the sudden. Nobody was whining last week when he completely dominated the Packers.

You know, the Commanders studied the Packers game tape and probably decided to make sure he didn't have a repeat performance.

Ratliff had a damn good game yesterday as well.

BLEU3ASY

Reaction score
CATCH17;2295235 said:
Tough crowd.

Teams are allowed to get coverage sacks.

Dallas has been getting good pressure on QB's all year and i'd bet the stats would show that.

Yesterday we lost because they ran the ball down our throats and had managable 3rd downs.

Its hard to get a lot of sacks vs West Coast teams anyways and we've played 3 in a row.

Our problem is we don't play the short pass aggressive enough and west coast teams will eat us up in the short passing game if we play soft.

the theme of the whole game....i don't think we are overrated, but i do think its a result from the way the D is being called....

khiladi

Reaction score
nyc;2295236 said:

WHo is complaining about Ratliff at NT? We are talking about his true position, which isn't NT. I am talking about maximizing the talent of this defense. We would be much better with Ratliff at DL and a big body like Rodgers at NT. If Ratliff was at DL, then we wouldn't have to worry about why Canty sucks, because Ratliff would be playing that position and would be right next to Ware. Our defensine line would actually create some pressure up-the-middle.

Also, Tampa Bay pretty much dominated the Packers yesterday, who only scored because of one amazing pass by Rodgers. Otherwise, the defensive front of Tampa Bay was killing the Packers. The Packers were soundly beaten, and it was Brain Griese's errant throws that kept them in the game.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
BLEU3ASY;2295254 said:
the theme of the whole game....i don't think we are overrated, but i do think its a result from the way the D is being called....

Yep.

I know our player can do it.

Wade does some really nice things with the front 7 and blitz packages.

But he has GOT to let these guys play more aggressive in coverage.

We can't keep letting teams get to the Redzone before we decide to get tough in coverage.

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
Notice where the Commanders did almost all of their damage running--off left tackle. DeMarcus Ware's area.

warecooleypancake.JPG

khiladi

Reaction score
nyc;2295241 said:
I'm aware of what Canty can and can't do. Not sure why you posted that.

Just made a general comment. Whether it is 4-3 or 3-4, Canty has shown nothing. The guy plays behind dominant defensive players, and very rarely sniffs the QB.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
khiladi;2295261 said:
WHo is complaining about Ratliff at NT? We are talking about his true position, which isn't NT. I am talking about maximizing the talent of this defense. We would be much better with Ratliff at DL and a big body like Rodgers at NT. If Ratliff was at DL, then we wouldn't have to worry about why Canty sucks, because Ratliff would be playing that position and would be right next to Ware. Our defensine line would actually create some pressure up-the-middle.

Also, Tampa Bay pretty much dominated the Packers yesterday, who only scored because of one amazing pass by Rodgers. Otherwise, the defensive front of Tampa Bay was killing the Packers. The Packers were soundly beaten, and it was Brain Griese's errant throws that kept them in the game.

The Packers had a lot of clumsy turnovers. They weren't really dominated they just kept finding ways to give the ball away.

They played clumsy football.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2295266 said:
Notice where the Commanders did almost all of their damage running--off left tackle. DeMarcus Ware's area.

warecooleypancake.JPG

Out of the thousands of plays he has been ran at you will find a few of those but he is mostly dominant against the run and pass.

I agree though about 1 thing. We had a soft game plan for both sides of the ball.

Boysboy

Reaction score
LOL @ this thread! I thought it was TO's fought b/c he has just a fragile ego to the point where the coaches and players had no choice but to make him happy and force him the ball.

Why all the sudden change of heart now saying it's the D's fault?

khiladi

Reaction score
CATCH17;2295271 said:
The Packers had a lot of clumsy turnovers. They weren't really dominated they just kept finding ways to give the ball away.

They played clumsy football.

They were killing Rodgers. Brooks almost had three picks, dropping two, because Rodgers was getting rattled. The Tampa Bay front was man-handling the Packers.

The Packers were dominated. Brian griese threw a horrible pick to Charles Woodson that went for a TD. The Buccaneers were movind the ball again, and were about to score in the red-zone, but the WR tipped the ball up causing the interception. That interception allowed the Packers to score on that Aaron Rodgers bullet. Brain Greise put the Packers back into the game.

The Packers did nothing against the Tampa Bay defense...