I am convinced WE OVERRATE the talent on defnse

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2295111 said:
The one player that is very overrated or at least over hyped is Tank. He's done nothing so far this season.
I wouldn't say he hasn't done anything because he has. He just hasn't quite lived up to the hype he was pitching during training camp.

I did notice Ratliff missing from the game for what appeared to be an entire Commander drive. Maybe he did see some play, but every time I looked for him, he wasn't on the field. (Tank was)

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;2295153 said:
I wouldn't say he hasn't done anything because he has. He just hasn't quite lived up to the hype he was pitching during training camp.

I did notice Ratliff missing from the game for what appeared to be an entire Commander drive. Maybe he did see some play, but every time I looked for him, he wasn't on the field. (Tank was)

I think Ratliff was injured for a lil bit.

khiladi

Reaction score
dbair1967;2295136 said:
yeah he hasnt done anything yet, and niether has Ken Hamlin, who IMO has been by far the worst player in the secondary so far this year. I was never on board with us giving him the mega bucks to keep him and he is really playing poorly vs the run and the pass. With as much zone coverage as we are playing and where he is playing on the field, there's not much excuse for him to be totally invisible.

I thought I was the only one that noticed Ken Hamlin was been sucking at safety. The guy has blown plenty of coverages.

Bach

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2295137 said:
I have been wanting a big NT for a while. Rat is great but Tank is a waste of a roster spot right now.

I'd just as soon get rid of Wade and revert back to the 4-3. But yeah, if we stay 3-4 then we need a stud at NT.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
khiladi;2295164 said:
I thought I was the only one that noticed Ken Hamlin was been sucking at safety. The guy has blown plenty of coverages.

but its RW not Hamlin hamlin best safety since Woodson RW :chainsaw:

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
Bach;2295169 said:
I'd just as soon get rid of Wade and revert back to the 4-3. But yeah, if we stay 3-4 then we need a stud at NT.

which was supposed to be Tank however that isn't working out for us....

JordanTaber

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;2295139 said:
He has a sack in like 6 or 7 straight games. Multiply that over the course of a season thats a 16 sack season and thats only if he does have a multi-sack game.

Don't bump your head of the falling sky. :rolleyes:

Misleading.

He has been atrocious in run defense this year (as opposed to the best perimeter run defender in football the last two seasons), looks, quite frankly, slow and stiff (like he's carrying around extra weight), and his actual pressures are way down (although that could be because his incredible flexibility is also gone and he is tripping over himself when he has managed to beat the offensive tackle).

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
dbair1967;2295143 said:
I still think the majority of our front 7 players fit the 4-3 better than the 3-4.

Really? Who would be our linebackers? Who plays MLB? James or Thomas? James wouldn't be a very good OLB in a 3-4. You could have Burrnett and Carpenter. A starting trio of Carpenter, Thomas, Burrnett with James becoming a backup. Justin Rogers and Spencer couldn't play LBer anymore since they don't fit a 4-3 LB that would become backup DEs and then we have the problem with having of having way to many DTs with Canty, Spears, Ratliff, Tank, Bowman, and Hatcher.

So, we have to many DTs and not enough LBers. Sorry buddy, our players do not fit a 4-3 better than the current 3-4.

Anyhow, I prefer the 3-4 as it's more dynamic.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
We will never generate a top rate pass rush until we stop giving teams a 15 yard cushions to their recievers.

And Newman is not a shut down, man on man conerback and never will be. He is a slightly better version of Jacque Reeves. He has never played the ball and never will.

If he is injured he should make way for Pacman and quit hurting this team. Pacman is a man on man CB who plays the ball.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
I confess,

I am guilty of over rating our D players.

That will stop effective today

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
nyc;2295182 said:
Really? Who would be our linebackers? Who plays MLB? James or Thomas? James wouldn't be a very good OLB in a 3-4. You could have Burrnett and Carpenter. A starting trio of Carpenter, Thomas, Burrnett with James becoming a backup. Justin Rogers and Spencer couldn't play LBer anymore since they don't fit a 4-3 LB that would become backup DEs and then we have the problem with having of having way to many DTs with Canty, Spears, Ratliff, Tank, Bowman, and Hatcher.

So, we have to many DTs and not enough LBers. Sorry buddy, our players do not fit a 4-3 better than the current 3-4.

Why couldn't James be a line backer??? If we have Hatcher Ratliff Ware Ellis and Spencer as our De's it will get crowded but we would have to mix and match stuff however a D Line of Ware Ellis Tank Ratliff I'd still rather have ratliff on the inside opposed to canty with a LB core of James-THomas-Burnett. Would prob be the best thing for us if we were to go that route.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Hamlin isn't our problem. Where the heck are you guys getting that?

The secondary as a whole keeps having 1 to 2 mental breakdowns a game combined with backing off 10 yards in coverage and letting the other team catch 6 yard passes.

The major reason we lost yesterday was that we got RAN ON.

Nobody hardly ever runs on this defense.

Combine getting ran on with another rarity of Terrence Newman getting beat like a drum and it turned into an L.

The players are there on defense for us to have a great year. They just need to start doing it.

The pieces this defense needs are already on this roster.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
nyc;2295182 said:

I like the 3-4 also but wish Dick Lebeau was running it

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Mr Cowboy;2295186 said:
We will never generate a top rate pass rush until we stop giving teams a 15 yard cushions to their recievers.

And Newman is not a shut down, man on man conerback and never will be. He is a slightly better version of Jacque Reeves. He has never played the ball and never will.

If he is injured he should make way for Pacman and quit hurting this team. Pacman is a man on man CB who plays the ball.

We have been getting after the Quarterback pretty well the last 2 games and even in the Philly game McNabb was running for his life.

We do however have some bad tackling going on that has cost us at least 5 extra sacks this year.

I would bet Dallas is towards the top of the league in Sacks.

Doing this while playing 3 west coast teams who entire offensive Philosiphy is to get rid of the ball.

Oh and Newman has basically been a shut down Corner his entire career except for the struggles he has had in year 2.

1 bad game doesn't change that. Im sure you waited along time to get that post in.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
JordanTaber;2295175 said:
Misleading.

He has been atrocious in run defense this year (as opposed to the best perimeter run defender in football the last two seasons), looks, quite frankly, slow and stiff (like he's carrying around extra weight), and his actual pressures are way down (although that could be because his incredible flexibility is also gone and he is tripping over himself when he has managed to beat the offensive tackle).

You're letting emotion blind you. Ware has consistently caused trouble in the backfield and IS our best perimeter run defender. He IS considered by many as the premiere front 7 player in the league.

khiladi

Reaction score
Yeagermeister;2295137 said:
I have been wanting a big NT for a while. Rat is great but Tank is a waste of a roster spot right now.

We should have signed Shaun Rodgers, who is with Cleveland. We should not have relied solely on Ratliff as being an NT, because he isn't the ideal size. He would be way more effective as a DL, his oirignal position. Can you imagine how dominating the tandem of Ratliff and Ware could be? And Tank plays himself out of position for a 3-4 NT. He could play a DL.

Canty, Spears, and Hatcher blow.

khiladi

Reaction score
CATCH17;2295205 said:
We have been getting after the Quarterback pretty well the last 2 games and even in the Philly game McNabb was running for his life.

Those were coverage sacks... The fact that even Campbell avoided sacks makes it all the mor apparent it is a trend with our defense not being able to get to the QB, then the other team's shiftiness....

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
khiladi;2295207 said:
We should have signed Shaun Rodgers, who is with Cleveland. We should not have relied solely on Ratliff as being an NT, because he isn't the ideal size. He would be way more effective as a DL, his oirignal position. Can you imagine how dominating the tandem of Ratliff and Ware could be? And Tank plays himself out of position for a 3-4 NT. He could play a DL.

Canty, Spears, and Hatcher blow.

Cleveland traded for Rodgers