CFZ I am excited for training camp this year

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I am very excited for training camp. What a difference a year makes! Last year, going into camp, we had controversy surrounding the Amari Cooper trade. That left us with Lamb, Gallup (coming off a late season ACL injury, and he didn't return until almost midway in the season), Noah Brown, a rookie Tolbert, Fehoko, and a bunch of UDFAs like Dennis Houston. Not exactly WR royalty. We also didn't exactly have a great CB opposite Diggs. We were relying on a 5th round NT, who we cut before the season. Oh, and we had the media sniffing around frequently asking if McCarthy was going to get the sack for Payton everytime he filled his coffee. We were being told that the team had too much controversy and not enough talent to be good enough last season. We then lost Dak for 5 games and were told we should just tank and get Payton. But, then Cooper Rush went 4-1. Dak came back, and you all know the rest of the story from last year.

Now, we come to this year. Firstly, *knocks on wood* have you noticed that this has been a very quiet offseason for the Cowboys? Usually by now, a player or decision would've been made to set the team on fire. But, this seems to be the quietest offseason I've seen from the Cowboys in a while, and I love it. It makes it easier for the team to focus, and we don't seem to have any obvious suspensions coming down the pipe. Secondly, we improved our WR group with Cooks, and Lamb should be better now that he's had another full offseason to rehabilitate his leg. So, now we enter TC with our first 3 WRs being Lamb, Cooks, and what should be a healthy Gallup. What a change that is! Plus, I think we upgraded at TE with Schoonmacher over Schultz. Our CB opposite Diggs is now Gillmore. That should make Diggs' job easier. Oh, and now we have Hankins and Mazi Smith at NT. Mazi is the first NT we've taken in the first round since Russell Maryland. I'm excited for how he develops. We also just signed a kicker from the Birmingham Stallions, who I saw last week in the Championship. He looked very good. All in all, this should be a fun and exciting Training Camp. I, for one, am excited to see how it plays out.
Nothing really excites me about TC. Everyone always looks amazing yada yada yada. Everything changes when the real games start. Im just happy to see TC end with as little injuries as possible.

Those that complained about the offseason last year were proven dead wrong. Jerry's biggest blunder was who he brought in to replace Cooper. Getting rid of Cooper was the right call. And besides we made it further than we ever did with Cooper regardless.

Gregory, Collins, Cooper, Mcgovern, Tyler Smith, Wilson, Lamb not being a true #1, many complained about all of it. The youth movement has been a overall success.

Nice to see Jerry finally make some moves in the offseason with trades. Finally got a stud DT. But he blew it with the Oline and possibly the running back room. We shall see.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Nothing really excites me about TC. Everyone always looks amazing yada yada yada. Everything changes when the real games start. Im just happy to see TC end with as little injuries as possible.

Those that complained about the offseason last year were proven dead wrong. Jerry's biggest blunder was who he brought in to replace Cooper. Getting rid of Cooper was the right call. And besides we made it further than we ever did with Cooper regardless.

Gregory, Collins, Cooper, Mcgovern, Tyler Smith, Wilson, Lamb not being a true #1, many complained about all of it. The youth movement has been a overall success.

Nice to see Jerry finally make some moves in the offseason with trades. Finally got a stud DT. But he blew it with the Oline and possibly the running back room. We shall see.

Sure, I'd like for us to get through it without injuries, but I do think that there's more to look forward to than last year for the reasons that I listed I think the youth movement has been good. I think the trades were smart, and I love that we got a NT. The part that excites me is watching the baking of the cake, if you will.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
A lot of optimism going into this years training camp, question marks are there but very minimal and we have had a good FA and draft.

Now we have to see few of the older draft picks either they have it or time to move on and see if any of the young bucks to step and fill big shoes.

Frankly updated D and some holes filled O meaning we have a good team and we dont have to be scared to take on any NFL opponents this year.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
One other area that I'm excited to see is how McCarthy's playcalling will be different to what we saw from Moore. I think it'll be fun to watch a McCarthy-led offense in training camp, and it will be fun to watch them develop.
Mikes clock mgmt has been bad.

Hopefully the playcalling is ok.

It’s weird that Schottenheimer isn’t calling the plays though.

quickccc

Reaction score
I would say Anthony Brown was a good enough corner, opposite of Diggs. Too bad he go hurt. I think he'll be back in due time, even if with another team.

.. (sigh) .... no he wasn't .. Brown was an obvious weak link.

Even if he wasn't achilles tendon doomed for his career and a healthy return, he'd still be caught behind, not looking turning his head for the ball while it's in the air.

We would have had to be considering a starting CB in the NFL draft, if we did not do the Gilmore trade.

Now with Brown replaced with a solid vet CB, where would our weak link in secondary be ?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
.. (sigh) .... no he wasn't .. Brown was an obvious weak link.

Even if he wasn't achilles tendon doomed for his career and a healthy return, he'd still be caught behind, not looking turning his head for the ball while it's in the air.

We would have had to be considering a starting CB in the NFL draft, if we did not do the Gilmore trade.

Now with Brown replaced with a solid vet CB, where would our weak link in secondary be ?
The best way to improve is by upgrading your weakest link.

That being said I think Brown was an average corner. He both made and gave up plays. Gilmore is a remarkable improvement nonetheless.

Only question mark on defense right now is at LB. Clark, Overshown, and Cox step up though and this defense is stacked.

Second defensive unit is

Williams Hankins Gholston Armstrong
Overshown Cox
Bland Joseph Wilson Mukuamu Wright

Lots of talented young players who should get a lot of snaps in preseason.

quickccc

Reaction score
Looking forward to these camp position battles:

OFFENSE:

QBs - QB roles will not change. What I like is with no new camp arm QBs it should be just backups Rush and Grier tossing it to developmental WRs - scrub, lousy throwing QBs ruin young WR chances
I see THREE QB spots

- RBs: Who steps up as Pollard’s key backup contributors ? Jones my prediction pick for the angry runner change of pace guy in relief for Pollard … Deuce will be a sub package guy until he proves reliable as a blitz blocker …4th RB role will come down to Hunter Loop vs Malik Davis, imo. ..
I see FOUR RB spots

WR: When it comes to Training Camp I’m more interested in backups and developmental types such as WR Tolbert and Feheko,.Jalen Brooks, could speedy vet WR Tyrone Johnson surprise ? As well as one of the undrafted FA rookie WRs per Cropper or Durden ? Frankly I’ve seen enuff of Dennis Houston and think he’s topped out his potential.
I see SIX WRs spots.

TE: - despite all the talk ofFB hunter loop, I don’t see us carry just 3 TEs at his expense. I see 4 TEs. McCarthy is one that has always believed in TE depth And I don’t think that changes for a non-blocking FB, that’s more of a big RB. Be interesting to see development and emergence of rookie TE Luke Schoon,..I expect him to be gradual learn but the big question is will Luke Schoon take reps away from Hendershot as the No. 2 TE ? I have a theory with Jake Ferguson.
I see FOUR TEs

LBs: I’m interested in seeing the young LBs we have .. we don’t have a vet LB aside from LVE, so could that void show up throughout camp ? Or will one or two of the LBs (Clark ? Overshown?) make their impression. If not .. expect a vet LB signee at camp’s end as we did with Barr last year. Cox and Harper will be developmental types
I see FIVE LB spots

OL: it’s development of Waletsko Richards, Bass in camp,. And how the musical chairs with Tyron, Steele and Tyler will be wind up being at camp’s end. I just don’t expect three to play in preseason much, I expect Tyler at LG until he switches to LT “when” Tyron gets injured (again) I’m looking forward to the athletic Richards who only benches 13 reps at 225 lbs . Needs strength program badly much like Steele, but has Steele like agility. I expect both OT and OG swingee
I see NINE OL spots

SPECIAL TEAMS: Where is our new FG kicker ? is he already on the roster ? ..Or will he be at NFL roster cut day ? Who will be Turpin's backup if he gets hurt ?

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Looking forward to these camp position battles:

OFFENSE:

QBs - QB roles will not change. What I like is with no new camp arm QBs it should be just backups Rush and Grier tossing it to developmental WRs - scrub, lousy throwing QBs ruin young WR chances
I see THREE QB spots

- RBs: Who steps up as Pollard’s key backup contributors ? Jones my prediction pick for the angry runner change of pace guy in relief for Pollard … Deuce will be a sub package guy until he proves reliable as a blitz blocker …4th RB role will come down to Hunter Loop vs Malik Davis, imo. ..
I see FOUR RB spots

WR: When it comes to Training Camp I’m more interested in backups and developmental types such as WR Tolbert and Feheko,.Jalen Brooks, could speedy vet WR Tyrone Johnson surprise ? As well as one of the undrafted FA rookie WRs per Cropper or Durden ? Frankly I’ve seen enuff of Dennis Houston and think he’s topped out his potential.
I see SIX WRs spots.

TE: - despite all the talk ofFB hunter loop, I don’t see us carry just 3 TEs at his expense. I see 4 TEs. McCarthy is one that has always believed in TE depth And I don’t think that changes for a non-blocking FB, that’s more of a big RB. Be interesting to see development and emergence of rookie TE Luke Schoon,..I expect him to be gradual learn but the big question is will Luke Schoon take reps away from Hendershot as the No. 2 TE ? I have a theory with Jake Ferguson.
I see FOUR TEs

LBs: I’m interested in seeing the young LBs we have .. we don’t have a vet LB aside from LVE, so could that void show up throughout camp ? Or will one or two of the LBs (Clark ? Overshown?) make their impression. If not .. expect a vet LB signee at camp’s end as we did with Barr last year. Cox and Harper will be developmental types
I see FIVE LB spots

OL: it’s development of Waletsko Richards, Bass in camp,. And how the musical chairs with Tyron, Steele and Tyler will be wind up being at camp’s end. I just don’t expect three to play in preseason much, I expect Tyler at LG until he switches to LT “when” Tyron gets injured (again) I’m looking forward to the athletic Richards who only benches 13 reps at 225 lbs . Needs strength program badly much like Steele, but has Steele like agility. I expect both OT and OG swingee
I see NINE OL spots

SPECIAL TEAMS: Where is our new FG kicker ? is he already on the roster ? ..Or will he be at NFL roster cut day ? Who will be Turpin's backup if he gets hurt ?
A training camp battles to watch topic deserves it's own thread. Good stuff.

quickccc

Reaction score
Defensive Tackles - I want to see rookie Feheko vs Gholston battle - I also another that think Gallimore spot is in jeopardy but could survive with a very impressive camp. Don’t see Bohanna making it (maybe Practice squader reserve?) Bohanna just doesn’t make plays- and we have two 1 techs now.
I see FIVE DTs.

Defensive Ends - I wanna see Williams vs Armstrong battle
I see Five Edge guys.

Secondary: Bland vs Lewis,… Scott vs Joseph.. don’t see Wright making it... How much more will Izzy and Bell develop in this camp ?
I see SEVEN CBs ...and I see FIVE safeties

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Defensive Tackles - I want to see rookie Feheko vs Gholston battle - I also another that think Gallimore spot is in jeopardy but could survive with a very impressive camp. Don’t see Bohanna making it (maybe Practice squader reserve?) Bohanna just doesn’t make plays- and we have two 1 techs now.
I see FIVE DTs.

Defensive Ends - I wanna see Williams vs Armstrong battle
I see Five Edge guys.

Secondary: Bland vs Lewis,… Scott vs Joseph.. don’t see Wright making it... How much more will Izzy and Bell develop in this camp ?
I see SEVEN CBs ...and I see FIVE safeties
You have to cut CJ Goodwin.He doesn't add enough value.

quickccc

Reaction score
You have to cut CJ Goodwin. He doesn't add enough value.
Goodwin is very well valued as a special teams gunner.

It must be a reason why he remains on the team with a one track pony role.

If it's that very valuable to Bones Fassel... then that's very valuable to the team roster.
The club is gonna give Bones the personnel support he asks for and needs.

That's another reason why I keep laughing at those that want Turpin cut.