I am taking the just say no to hate pledge

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The funny thing about this thread is most of the people that get offended by Dak being criticized are the same people who are saying Jeff Heath sucks and want to see him replaced. Heath is a humble guy and he is a really hard worker but maybe he lacks a little talent. Sound familiar!
Making the effort and maxing out a player's talent seems to be underappreciated by some. I wonder how they would have been about Bill Bates back then. He earned that S job by pushing himself to the limit every time he got the chance, that's a coach's dream. Landry rewarded him with making him the starting S and he really wasn't very good. But he was a fan favorite. That's why Marinelli was a Nick Hayden fan. Probably the least talented of the DL but the hardest worker chasing his dream.

I look at some of these players with so much natural talent and wonder what they might have been. He was plenty good but imagine Randy Moss with Jerry Rice's work ethic. He would have been unstoppable because he was blessed with the most natural talent I've seen for a WR.

A player does his job, represents his team so well he gets Man of the Year and max's out his talent because he wasn't born fast, will be a 1st ballot HOFer yet some openly criticize his return to the team. We've seen the same about Lee, only there for his knowledge and leadership. These are two players that are going to give everything they've got to help their team and I am glad they are there. You never outgrow your need for role models.

I used to be an "all about the winning" fan but fortunately I moved on from that and the game of football is a lot like life, it's not all about the winning, it is often how the game is played. The lessons are not learned through victories.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The word "hate' gets thrown around the forum too freely and I am taking the pledge not to use that word again in here.

We are surrounded by hate in our own country and the world and most of us come here to take a break from the real world with others that share the same feeling about their team. Yep, even some come to argue and debate as part of this but hate is just too strong a word to use here.

So, I CouchCoach, do solemnly pledge not to use that word in ANY post, even in the attempt to repel it, and the Staff here has my permission to give me a time out for breaking my pledge.

My fellow posters, please join me in removing this word from a place it has no place in.
In the real world, hate is a strong word that is used far too often but in the context of sports forum talk, we all know the word has a meaning that is not what it is in the real world. "Hate" is what we use to describe a guy, not in our favorability. It doesn't mean I don't want the guy's autograph or wouldn't hang out with him if given the opportunity. I'm sorry for you if your gentle sensibility won't allow you to use the word in the context of sports forum talk but I'm not going to stop using it. I'm smart enough to be able to discern how the word is being used so I'm good with others using it here. If that's not you then, so be it.

Reid1boys

Reaction score
Making the effort and maxing out a player's talent seems to be underappreciated by some. I wonder how they would have been about Bill Bates back then. He earned that S job by pushing himself to the limit every time he got the chance, that's a coach's dream. Landry rewarded him with making him the starting S and he really wasn't very good. But he was a fan favorite. That's why Marinelli was a Nick Hayden fan. Probably the least talented of the DL but the hardest worker chasing his dream.

I look at some of these players with so much natural talent and wonder what they might have been. He was plenty good but imagine Randy Moss with Jerry Rice's work ethic. He would have been unstoppable because he was blessed with the most natural talent I've seen for a WR.

A player does his job, represents his team so well he gets Man of the Year and max's out his talent because he wasn't born fast, will be a 1st ballot HOFer yet some openly criticize his return to the team. We've seen the same about Lee, only there for his knowledge and leadership. These are two players that are going to give everything they've got to help their team and I am glad they are there. You never outgrow your need for role models.

I used to be an "all about the winning" fan but fortunately I moved on from that and the game of football is a lot like life, it's not all about the winning, it is often how the game is played. The lessons are not learned through victories.

I started coaching club softball 21 years ago. I was 28 years old and still full of testosterone. My teams were always good, and we won games at a pretty ridiculous clip. I remember going 6-0 and winning a tournament, but we allowed 2 runs in the championship game (we won like 8-2) and yet I came home and laid on the couch fuming inside because we allowed those 2 runs....lol. Boy, how did those players survive me?

Luckily, Ive grown a little wiser. If NFL football is only about winning for you, well, you are going to be a pretty miserable SOB. The Cowboys are about sittin ghere in June anticipating training camp, then anticipating opening weekend, travel, exhileration, incredible frustration. So many good times, bad times, emotional times, angry times.... there are few things in my life that bring out so many emotions in me as the Cowboys. One of my favorite expressions as a coach I use applies here. "The game can't only be fun when you win."

Well said CC.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
We need a "Hate" button so I can use it now for the OP's idea.
Joe, you go on feeling all the h*** you want. I'll still love ya!

This is more of a personal thing for me. I was using that word as well, even formed the Dakaters but then it began to bother me when I'd see it and that has little to do with a sports forum and everything to do with what's going on outside of this forum. I've lived seven decades and never witnessed the level of hatred I see around me in this country right now. And it's not sports, it's real hatred and it saddens me.

I can live with others using that in here but if this slows down just 10% of that, it's worth the thread.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

This is more of a personal thing for me. I was using that word as well, even formed the Dakaters but then it began to bother me when I'd see it and that has little to do with a sports forum and everything to do with what's going on outside of this forum. I've lived seven decades and never witnessed the level of hatred I see around me in this country right now. And it's not sports, it's real hatred and it saddens me.

I can live with others using that in here but if this slows down just 10% of that, it's worth the thread.

Hate has just become one of those overused and misused words in recent times - like "epic"

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

Brother, I'm a gentle human being that loves every person I meet until they prove they are not worthy of it. And even then I try to understand why that person is that way if I can. I don't use the word "hate" very much in my everyday life. It's a choice I've made in life because as a retired combat veteran, I've seen my share of meanness in the world and know what true hate is. But that is not this and this is not that. In the world of sports forum talk, "hate" takes on a completely different context. I don't mind your effort to slow down the use of the word and I thank you for not minding if I don't participate in that effort. Thank you.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I know what you're talking about, it's the rampant negativity that flows so freely nowadays. Not that it hasn't existed before, but it has never been so easily communicated from one human being to another. Our connected society can be both a blessing and a curse, as with any other tool, it's about how you use it.

I view it as shallow thinking, and a byproduct of instant gratification and an "instant" internet world. We have less patience than ever before, as we get most everything we want or need immediately. And as a result, we rashly say things in the heat of the moment without thinking them through more deeply, and seeing their true impact.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I know what you're talking about, it's the rampant negativity that flows so freely nowadays. Not that it hasn't existed before, but it has never been so easily communicated from one human being to another. Our connected society can be both a blessing and a curse, as with any other tool, it's about how you use it.

I view it as shallow thinking, and a byproduct of instant gratification and an "instant" internet world. We have less patience than ever before, as we get most everything we want or need immediately. And as a result, we rashly say things in the heat of the moment without thinking them through more deeply, and seeing their true impact.
And I don't even do any social media where I understand it's the worst.

It's almost as if we've had a disconnect from empathy and compassion and doesn't matter if we hurt someone's feelings, we can just apologize that away. And I see more rude behavior every day. I was trained right but when I hold the door for a lady or an older couple, I get this shocked look of pleasant surprise from them. Last week, I saw two guys, in their 40' almost knock down this lady on her walker trying to get past her and get in the door of the grocery store. I immediately flashed on Alabama's "I'm in a hurry and don't know why".

I encourage everyone to watch The Rock's acceptance speech at the MTV awards show. Everyone should take his advice to "just be nice".

kskboys

Reaction score

The people who overuse the word hate and are rude all the time used to be shunned. No one would be around them. Now, we can't get away.

There's only a handful of posters on this site who are truly rude. However, they do get others caught up in the rudeness and it spreads.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The people who overuse the word hate and are rude all the time used to be shunned. No one would be around them. Now, we can't get away.

There's only a handful of posters on this site who are truly rude. However, they do get others caught up in the rudeness and it spreads.

I'll cop to getting pulled into it at times, but it's something I'm going to make a conscious effort to be better at. I'll always be a work in progress...

kskboys

Reaction score
I'll cop to getting pulled into it at times, but it's something I'm going to make a conscious effort to be better at. I'll always be a work in progress...
As do I. I've gotten to the point where I find myself arguing rudely, so I try to pull away from the boards for a while. Sometimes it's a few hours, sometimes it's a few days.

Another strategy I use is to stop going to a thread. If the arguments get stupid and I feel as if there's no winning and nothing good can come of me clicking back in, I often make it a point to just not go back.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As do I. I've gotten to the point where I find myself arguing rudely, so I try to pull away from the boards for a while. Sometimes it's a few hours, sometimes it's a few days.

Another strategy I use is to stop going to a thread. If the arguments get stupid and I feel as if there's no winning and nothing good can come of me clicking back in, I often make it a point to just not go back.

Not me - I'm always kind and courteous

And the entire board yelled HAH!

armadillooutlaw

Reaction score

Yeah, you gotta be careful with toxic people/toxic topics, whether it's online or in social settings face to face. It has a way of really dragging people down to it's level. There's a saying, "evil company corrupts good habits", that proves to be true every time, and you just gotta pull back.

Cowpolk

Landry Hat
Reaction score
The word "hate' gets thrown around the forum too freely and I am taking the pledge not to use that word again in here.

We are surrounded by hate in our own country and the world and most of us come here to take a break from the real world with others that share the same feeling about their team. Yep, even some come to argue and debate as part of this but hate is just too strong a word to use here.

So, I CouchCoach, do solemnly pledge not to use that word in ANY post, even in the attempt to repel it, and the Staff here has my permission to give me a time out for breaking my pledge.

My fellow posters, please join me in removing this word from a place it has no place in.
I hate pledges

kskboys

Reaction score
Yeah, you gotta be careful with toxic people/toxic topics, whether it's online or in social settings face to face. It has a way of really dragging people down to it's level. There's a saying, "evil company corrupts good habits", that proves to be true every time, and you just gotta pull back.
It really does. I know that I would never speak as rudely to people face to face as I'm sometimes driven to speak here from the childish stuff.