I am trying to figure Dak out instead of bashing him

Cowboysheelsreds053

Reaction score
Dallas for me already killed the fun of the regular season and now i'm just sitting back and waiting to see what they can do in the post season.

3-2 is unacceptable. What can go wrong will go wrong with this team. They find ways to lose.

The only hole i've seen with this team that is on them is the run defense and I don't understand how they get ran on with the players they have on defense. Especially after being top 5 last year again the run.

The defense is a shell.. Zeke doesn't make big plays anymore.. Dak can play a close game or with a lead but he looks so bad when we're down a couple of scores.

I just can't give this team my time on Sundays anymore if they're going to have passes bounce off their hands and make stupid mistakes repeatedly. It's unwatchable.

The refs are just on another level of bad as well and make it impossible to watch another game that's not your favorite team.

The Dallas Cowboys don't deserve our time. It's just another year headed down the same path. Waste of talent.

That 2nd sentence after 3-2 sounds like Steven A. Smith.

shabazz

Reaction score
Yep that is where I am at too. We can win with him but if he takes that much cap space, we can't win long term with him.

Accuracy issues aside, he is just not good enough to makes plays when the pocket breaks down!

and that why we have to supply a hermetically sealed pocket. If that's the case we need salary cap money to pay for this cocoon of pass protection

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
Good lord, you'd think that Dak was Quincy Carter for crying out loud.

Course, some of you were in diapers when Carter was the QB it seems like.

Saints did a number on this Cowboys team. And, it's up to this team to get fighting and realize with PROPER execution of plays, they can be better.

And, again, some fans in here stop taking the cheese. lol

I think it was more of the cowboys doing a number on the bad teams than the saints doing a number on the cowboys.

For all we know the cowboys probably start out 0-2 had the first two games been NO and GB!

Sydla

Reaction score
- He's not the most talented QB.
- He's tough as nails
- He's not as consistent as the best QBs in the league
- He has limitations in his game
- Mobile
- Lacks pocket awareness at times
- He does seem to have some sort of "it" factor in terms of making plays in big moments (Not always, mind you)

He is what he is. He's a good QB, not a great one. I mean anyone who thinks he stinks hasn't seen Luke Falk play, for example. LOL.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
This is hard to do:huh:

So what I came up with is, we all know that Dak can play the position to a certain extent. He is on at times and then he is off, badly.

There has been alot of hype about the contract. He started the season off great against below average teams. Then against above average teams he starts getting away from himself and all he has worked on in the offseason to develope better.

So I thought, what if the hype of the contract is getting to him? He now seems to be overthinking things, and now forcing the ball more, throwing interceptions, not throwing to wide open guys and being "greedy" as he puts it.

I believe he is pushing too hard for a big contract instead of just playing ball, playing his game, getting back to what he practiced.

Yes the competition has been a tad better but nothing Dak shouldnt be able to handle.

I believe Dak could be going into games with half his brain on football, and the other half on his contract and how to make a nice impression.

I am still against signing the guy but while he is here it would be good to just ponder what the problem could be.
he is a work in progress. we knew for three years his mechanics and footwork need improvement, his pocket awareness needs improvement, his mind's eye of where to throw the ball needs improvement. He did a lot of things well, has the tangibles and for some reason when he is down and behind, the pressure is on, the light goes on and he plays differently.

with that said, his foot work has improved, his mechanics are better but it takes time for old habits to die and muscle memory take over. the big tests are often when you are under pressure and you react...he reverted a little this past couple of games, but that's normal....

His pocket awareness is somewhat better, as he is getting the ball out sooner, and despite this past game is seemingly taking less sacks....his accuracy (knowing where to throw the ball and ability to get it there) is work in progress. this past game we saw both the good and the bad....the throw to Cooper that ended up Int (a fluke, with the defender in the right place), was a bad throw. he needed to lead the receiver than throw behind him. lead the WR and its a TD and its a different game going u 7-0..... he did it a second time with cooper streaking down the sideline and he had to stop to make the catch and then got tackled, both times hcooper had his man beat. the other two Int's were bad...he threw to double coverage..... then he made several nice throws to Gallup and Cooper and cobb. putting the ball exactly where it needed to be.....dropping dimes as they say.....

like I said, a work in progress. arrow pointing up. not there yet.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I'm fine with Dak being our quarterback.

I struggle a lot with him being our $35 million quarterback.

We have to separate salary from the player. Just because he's paid well of course doesn't mean he'll be great, he has to play the game.

But what choices do we have? Only 3:

Pay him and try to build a team around his strengths and minimize his weakness.
Trade him for a high draft pick to a team like the Commanders, who are in desperate for a decent quarterback.
Let him go and try to sign a free agent, top quarterback.

None are good options, with T. Smith's back issues, and apparently Martin's as well, the line may be on the downslope, and Dak needs protection to play well. Trading for a high draft pick will take a year or two for the rookie to develop, and as we've seen with guys like Mayfield last night, he may not turn out well. And just what free agent is available? Don't know of any top quarterback, if he's really good they will pay him, or at best you'll get an older player with limited time left and possibly more likely to be injured. Brees' injury is probably partly due to age, the tendons and ligaments get less flexible with age, 5-8 years ago he'l likely have only a sprain, not a torn ligament.

Even with a top quarterback or a hot shot rookie, we're back to coaching, Rodgers, Brady or Brees would probably do better with this team, but I doubt even they could win a SB with these coaches.

I was really hoping for a really good season, but it's going down the drain fast, and little hope for the future remains...

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I don't see why Dak is so controversial. He's pretty good, not great. He's probably a #8-12 QB. He's not the greatest pure passer but he does have great leadership qualities. He's good enough to win with but not good enough to carry a team.

Plenty of good qualities but also some significant limitations. Not that different from other QBs who play for winning teams.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I don't see why Dak is so controversial. He's pretty good, not great. He's probably a #8-12 QB. He's not the greatest pure passer but he does have great leadership qualities. He's good enough to win with but not good enough to carry a team.

Plenty of good qualities but also some significant limitations. Not that different from other QBs who play for winning teams.

Yes, and what's maddening is that we see great throws occasionally, then we see missed throws and dumb decisions. With the great throws we see he's capable of being elite, but it's not done consistently enough to make him elite. I keep hoping the great throws will increase and the dumb plays decrease, but if he doesn't do that this year, he never will, imho...

Whyjerry

Reaction score
This is hard to do:huh:

So what I came up with is, we all know that Dak can play the position to a certain extent. He is on at times and then he is off, badly.

There has been alot of hype about the contract. He started the season off great against below average teams. Then against above average teams he starts getting away from himself and all he has worked on in the offseason to develope better.

So I thought, what if the hype of the contract is getting to him? He now seems to be overthinking things, and now forcing the ball more, throwing interceptions, not throwing to wide open guys and being "greedy" as he puts it.

I believe he is pushing too hard for a big contract instead of just playing ball, playing his game, getting back to what he practiced.

Yes the competition has been a tad better but nothing Dak shouldnt be able to handle.

I believe Dak could be going into games with half his brain on football, and the other half on his contract and how to make a nice impression.

I am still against signing the guy but while he is here it would be good to just ponder what the problem could be.

What is there to figure out about Dak? He is a winner. Tough guy. Great leader. Can run with the ball. Can throw all the NFL passes. Struggles with accuracy at times. Holds the ball too long. Can be a tad slow on progressions at time. Decent vision but not elite. Add it all up and you have a good but not elite QB. You can win a lot of games with Dak but he NEEDS HELP. Every QB needs help. The hand wringing over this loss is ridiculous. 2 of his 3 picks were not on him at all. The defense and Cooper's bad luck were the main culprits I also think Dallas came out flat which is remarkable given the NO loss.

The Dak haters need to stop. He is NOT the issue.

SoupcanSam

Reaction score
he is a work in progress. we knew for three years his mechanics and footwork need improvement, his pocket awareness needs improvement, his mind's eye of where to throw the ball needs improvement. He did a lot of things well, has the tangibles and for some reason when he is down and behind, the pressure is on, the light goes on and he plays differently.

with that said, his foot work has improved, his mechanics are better but it takes time for old habits to die and muscle memory take over. the big tests are often when you are under pressure and you react...he reverted a little this past couple of games, but that's normal....

His pocket awareness is somewhat better, as he is getting the ball out sooner, and despite this past game is seemingly taking less sacks....his accuracy (knowing where to throw the ball and ability to get it there) is work in progress. this past game we saw both the good and the bad....the throw to Cooper that ended up Int (a fluke, with the defender in the right place), was a bad throw. he needed to lead the receiver than throw behind him. lead the WR and its a TD and its a different game going u 7-0..... he did it a second time with cooper streaking down the sideline and he had to stop to make the catch and then got tackled, both times hcooper had his man beat. the other two Int's were bad...he threw to double coverage..... then he made several nice throws to Gallup and Cooper and cobb. putting the ball exactly where it needed to be.....dropping dimes as they say.....

like I said, a work in progress. arrow pointing up. not there yet.

The frustrating part is still talking about everything you just mentioned after 4 years in.

I mean it's kind of like one of those, if you dont get it, you dont get it.

How long are they willing to wait on a guy.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
He’s getting hit a great deal of the time that he’s trying to throw the ball and this is keeping him from properly planting his feet. The o-line is in shambles right now....

jwooten15

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Arron Rodgers......sees pocket collapse......escapes......completes pass.

Dak.....more mobile......sees pocket collapse.....takes sack

3rd & 20
That's an understated issue!

Rodger's poise is unbelievable and I don't expect Dak to be on that level, but he gets shell shocked and sometimes loses the ability to think when pressure is coming.

It's unbelievable

Sydla

Reaction score

The question though here is what is he actually worth.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
The question though here is what is he actually worth.
Oh, he's going to be very overpaid, I have no doubt about that. But that's most QBs in his position.

Dak and his agent know Dak is good enough to not ditch and start over. He's good enough to keep the team relevant, which is Jerry's main concern.