I Asked This Last January

Doomsday101

Reaction score
It will not just be these writers but I can promise it will give them more ammo on TO. Sorry some fans still believe is a certain amount of sportsmanship and seeing their team being represented with class. It is obvious many of the younger fans would not know class if it bit them on the butt and have no clue as to sportsmanship. If you find this way of thinking old fashion so be it but I'm not going to lower my standards of right and wrong. I will also not be a hypocrite and gripe about him when it was done to the Cowboys but now it is alright because he is on the team. Sorry but that is about as shallow as any fan can get.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
peplaw06 said:
No I looooved it :rolleyes:... What do you think?!?!? Of course I didn't like it. I was only mad though because it was a sign that we couldn't stop him... I was never like, "Oh my GOSH!!! He's defiling our sacred piece of fake blue grass!! :eek: But like I said before, he was on another team. He's a Cowboy now, like it or not. I love the Cowboys, and I'm not going to let my past dislike for a player prevent me from enjoying my Cowboys.

And you can say Emmitt was defending his team, but that doesn't change the fact that he went out there. Dooms said going out on the star shows a lack of class. I don't get the jump in logic there, if it was okay for Emmitt to do it. That's all I was commenting on there.

peplaw06, make a public poll so that the people that don't like to post can at least express their opinion...you know mine already.

It could just be a simple yes/no poll. One question:

"Do you want T.O. to run to the middle of the Star to celebrate his first at home TD and recieve a 15 yard penalty?"

yes

no

Make a poll, because you and I can sit down and drink beer all day long and never change each others minds! ;)

Make a poll...I've seen you make them before...

Cheers....

:star:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
5Stars said:
After the game, I could care less of T.O. makes love to himself on the Star...but, not during a game, period...

I agree and I'm not opposed to celebrations in the endzone, the rules allow it so if you feel the need to do something after a TD do it in the endzone. If TO wants to stand on the star at mid-field do it before or after the game go for it but during the game no.

Tass

Lucky Devil
Reaction score
superpunk said:
If he went out and spiked the ball on the Commanders logo

:laugh2: I can't stand the man but I'd laugh like a loon if that happened. (The only time I ever actually stood up and cheered for Owens is when he did the Ray Lewis dance.)

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Doomsday101 said:
I agree and I'm not opposed to celebrations in the endzone, the rules allow it so if you feel the need to do something after a TD do it in the endzone. If TO wants to stand on the star at mid-field do it before or after the game go for it but during the game no.

It makes no sense whatsoever...it like, "hey, the house in on fire, let's throw some wood on it and try and put it out"! :eek:

T.O. is basically on fire just by being himself on a day to day basis! Why add to his antics...? T.O. needs that kind of dicipline...he needs to grow up.

Da Hammer

The Natural
Reaction score
I would love it if T.O went to the star but i hardly think Bill will when we get a 15 yard penalty. Parcells will probably warn T.O about not getting a celebration penalty

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
TwoDeep3 said:
What will you do if T.O. becomes a Cowboy, scores a 65-yard TD, then runs to the Star and kneals down, ala Emmitt Smith.

The majority of answers I got were negative.

He won't be a Cowboy.

I will still hate him.

Jerry would never sign him because of the Star incident.

So I am asking now. First home game.

T.O. runs a slant and Bledsoe nails him with the ball, just like Irvin and Aikman.

T.O. takes it 65-yards for the score.

He goes to the Star and kneals down- ala Emmitt - and shows respect for the team, instead of dance.

What say you now, Zoners?

I think I will begin to set my expectations very high for this team.
My expectations are also very high, but it does not change my perspective about Owens and never will. He is a professional football player and a premier wide receiver. It is his job to play at his highest level and produce positive results--the more positive the better. He should do his job without desiring any of the unnecessary hero worship many would like to bestow upon him.

Hopefully, he'll average two touchdown receptions per game. Hopefully, he'll be an integral part of the offense every single game. Hopefully, the only negative thing reported about him will be how well opposing defenses took him out of a game or two.

But this is Owens we're discussing.

I have never cared for Owens throughout his career. As much as I despise the 49ers, I disliked his attitude towards Jerry Rice even more. I don't care for him now. I will not care for him after he has departed from the team. He could haul in six touchdowns in a single game and blow the nuts off some fantasy football contestant. It doesn't matter. Everything I said about him to date still holds true for me. There is literally nothing on God's green heavenly earth that Owens could humanly or inhumanly do which will ever change my mind.

I hope that was specific enough. :)

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
wileedog said:
Screw it. I hope he does it 4 times and the crowd goes bananas.

Yeah, classless, penalties, yada yada yada.

I'll give up the 60 yards in penalties and endless JFE articles for the opportunity to thoroughly thrash the Commanders and have their fans have to endure TO standing in the middle of the stadium bathed in adulation from the fans.

Bill will go crazy and the fallout will be worse, but I gotta admit I'd enjoy the living heck out of it.

:bow: :laugh1:

I would laugh my butt off if he did it. It would be entertaining and funny. But I'm a person that doesn't mind the celebrations at all.

Come on, I don't think anyone even gave that star in the middle of the field a thought til TO. Heck, noone even had thought about doing that and the reaction it would get.

And you know what's funny, it is actually respect given to the franchise.

Question: If he had stood on the logo in the middle of the field of any other team, do you think it would have made the big news it did??

Nope. If he stood on the logo of the Jaguars, who cares.

Have fun with it, get your popcorn, its going to be a show. And to me, there is nothing wrong with a show, purist seem to always want guys to not celebrate, but if we were all alike, life would just be boring.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Deep_Freeze said:
Have fun with it, get your popcorn, its going to be a show. And to me, there is nothing wrong with a show, purist seem to always want guys to not celebrate, but if we were all alike, life would just be boring.

I want him to celebrate also. But, only within the rules of the game. And, I would expect that a 30 something year old, professional football player, playing for the most scruntinized team in America, start acting like a grown man, not some attention man child *****!

He can prance and dance and pom-pom and do push-ups, and throw footballs in the stands, whatever...just DO NOT jepordize the team in anyway!

Remember, football is a game of inches...and I don't want T.O. to give the other team 540 inches!

wileedog

Reaction score
5Stars said:
I want him to celebrate also. But, only within the rules of the game. And, I would expect that a 30 something year old, professional football player, playing for the most scruntinized team in America, start acting like a grown man, not some attention man child *****!

He can prance and dance and pom-pom and do push-ups, and throw footballs in the stands, whatever...just DO NOT jepordize the team in anyway!

Remember, football is a game of inches...and I don't want T.O. to give the other team 540 inches!

Meh, I think if you are waiting for TO to turn into Troy Aikman you are going to be waiting for a long time. He is what he is, he will always be what he is. The Stationary Bike Incident sould have clued you off that TO is never really going to take the game as seriously as you do.

Me, I'll take the touchdowns in trade for the occasional penalty and nonense. I didn't like the guy before he got here, I don't like him now, I won't like him when he leaves. But I rooted for Deion Sanders too. As long as TO stays away from the locker room stuff and refrains from expressing his opinions on Bledsoes sexual habits, the rest is just fluff.

And I'll still LMAO if he puts up 28 points on the Commanders, does the star thing and I get to hear Gibbs whining after the game about TO's 'showmanship."

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Question: Are the 15 yards on the kickoff?? Or when the team takes gets the ball.........(I assume at kickoff).

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Deep_Freeze said:
Question: Are the 15 yards on the kickoff?? Or when the team takes gets the ball.........(I assume at kickoff).

You are right...it's at kickoff. That's why I don't like nonsense like these kind of penaltys because it gives the opponent better field position. It might sound like its' no big deal, but, when you have to go from the 5 yard line or the 20(if the kick is a touchback)...it's much harder then starting at something like the 40 or 45...

It's just not a wise idea to give the opposing team any kind of advantage, ever...especially accepting a penalty just to watch a player celebrate a TD...that is my whole arguement about this silly "run to the Star" "we love us some T.O." "who cares? It's T.O's first TD" yippee-yippee!! stuff!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
wileedog said:
Meh, I think if you are waiting for TO to turn into Troy Aikman...

Huh? Aikman is a QB...T.O. is a reciever! Please keep up....:D

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
5Stars said:
You are right...it's at kickoff. That's why I don't like nonsense like these kind of penaltys because it gives the opponent better field position. It might sound like its' no big deal, but, when you have to go from the 5 yard line or the 20(if the kick is a touchback)...it's much harder then starting at something like the 40 or 45...

It's just not a wise idea to give the opposing team any kind of advantage, ever...especially accepting a penalty just to watch a player celebrate a TD...that is my whole arguement about this silly "run to the Star" "we love us some T.O." "who cares? It's T.O's first TD" yippee-yippee!! stuff!

Yeah, I mentioned that cause really, 15 yards on a kickoff isn't as bad. It is a big deal, and you don't want to hurt your team, but that really isn't a horrible thing if it happens once by accident (on the fence of the rule, and the ref flags it anyway).

If they get that 15 yard penalty, really all that happens is your opposition will give you a touchback, and start at the 20.

Daudr

Reaction score
TwoDeep3 said:
What will you do if T.O. becomes a Cowboy, scores a 65-yard TD, then runs to the Star and kneals down, ala Emmitt Smith.

The majority of answers I got were negative.

He won't be a Cowboy.

I will still hate him.

Jerry would never sign him because of the Star incident.

So I am asking now. First home game.

T.O. runs a slant and Bledsoe nails him with the ball, just like Irvin and Aikman.

T.O. takes it 65-yards for the score.

He goes to the Star and kneals down- ala Emmitt - and shows respect for the team, instead of dance.

What say you now, Zoners?

I think I will begin to set my expectations very high for this team.

If he actually goes to the star and kneels in respect of the star and the Cowboys, I will have a new-found respect for TO. Until then I still think he's an arrogant prick that will help us win (just like Deion did).

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
5Stars said:
peplaw06, make a public poll so that the people that don't like to post can at least express their opinion...you know mine already.

It could just be a simple yes/no poll. One question:

"Do you want T.O. to run to the middle of the Star to celebrate his first at home TD and recieve a 15 yard penalty?"

yes

no

Make a poll, because you and I can sit down and drink beer all day long and never change each others minds! ;)

Make a poll...I've seen you make them before...

Cheers....

That poll is a slam dunk. I even told you I don't WANT to see him go out there. But I can face facts, I am 80% sure it WILL happen. My post about the scenario where we're beating up on the Skins was my imagination creating what IMO would be the BEST possible scenario for him to do it.

Will it happen that way?? I don't know. I hope if it does happen, that it's something like that. Otherwise, as I stated earlier in the thread, I won't like the penalty.

The one thing I can tell you, -- and I'll say it again, though I've said it numerous times -- is that I'm not one of those guys who think that his prancing on the star was some big Slap in the Face insult when he did it with the Niners. I THINK he WILL do it again. Then if he does it, hopefully that's the end of it. I'll take it as some form of peace offering with the Dallas fans who are still holding that grudge. I'm only throwing out the Best Case Scenario in my mind.

And if you want to talk about him making the situation worse... TO's going to be scrutinized WHATEVER he does. He's the media's golden egg. Anything he does will be front page news Monday morning. We all know it. If he catches no balls, it will be headlines... if he catches 3 TDs it will be front page. Any celebration IMO isn't going to add to the media firestorm that's coming. We've seen it already over a pulled hamstring and a Lance Armstrong jersey.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Deep_Freeze said:
Yeah, I mentioned that cause really, 15 yards on a kickoff isn't as bad. It is a big deal, and you don't want to hurt your team, but that really isn't a horrible thing if it happens once by accident (on the fence of the rule, and the ref flags it anyway).

If they get that 15 yard penalty, really all that happens is your opposition will give you a touchback, and start at the 20.

Well WE would be the ones kicking off after a score... Meaning we kick from the 15 instead of the 30... meaning an average starting field position of 25 would be the 40.