I blame Cowboys Fans

cowboyed

Reaction score
The Cowboys are one of the winningest teams in recent decades despite their disappointing, overall post season record under Jones family leadership. If we are looking for a tipping point perhaps it will be if we start earning dismal win - losing records in the regular season as well. Isn't that what caused the Cowboys team financial death spiral in the 80s in part, leading Clint Murchison, Jr., to sell out to the likes of the Jones family?

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys are one of the winningest teams in recent decades despite their disappointing, overall post season record under Jones family leadership. If we are looking for a tipping point perhaps it will be if we start earning dismal win - losing records in the regular season as well. Isn't that what caused the Cowboys team financial death spiral in the 80s in part, leading Clint Murchison, Jr., to sell out to the likes of the Jones family?
Bold>There were two primary reasons. The first reason is as you stated. League teams, back then, were not sustained by the type of revenue it began raking in by the late 1990s. H.R. Bright bought the franchise in 1984, at the time in which the team's on-the-field success began to decline.

By comparison, stadium ticket sales was a huge slice of franchises' revenue pie prior to the 1990s than it was after Jerry Jones triggered a more-than-significant revitalization of money being raked in by the owners afterwards. Back then, Bright hoped a major change would re-ignite team success by altering course with the head coach and firing Tom Landry. Bright was too timid in ever pulling the trigger. All the while, the franchise was losing $1 million a month and was near bankruptcy (link).

Bright suffered his other major financial blow in the form of the 1988 Texas banking collapse (link). The FirstRepublicBank Corp's demise cost him $29 million in stock. Bright was proactive in making financial deals but had an innate fear of going broke also (link).

Both factors pushed Bright to sell. Jones had his opportunity to purchase the franchise. And the rest is history.

foofighters

Reaction score
So you don’t watch the games? Because if you do, you’re helping line his pockets.
That's pretty much all I do anymore. I don't watch pre game or post game. I rarely watch other games unless there's some big story behind it. I admit that football is on the TV from noon to 6 on Sunday, so ya, I am lining pockets. However, for me it's different now. I am no longer consumed with the media on Monday-Saturday and my only sit down time is when the Cowboys actually play. Normally (when it's nice out) the TV is on in my garage and I am doing something and whatever game is on is just background noise.

I know that I am in the minority here but I am loosing interest in the NFL as a whole. The rules and flags have done a lot to make games not that much fun anymore. Sunday football used to be something to look forward to. It used to be, "hurry up and get the yard work done in the morning while having something smoking so we could eat it when everyone arrives for the big game." Now my nice Sundays are filled with riding my Harley with my wife and friends and we'll barely watch whatever game is on at whatever dive we decide to stop and eat at.

I love football but I don't love today's football if that makes any sense. and yes, I still love the Star. Always will.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
That's pretty much all I do anymore. I don't watch pre game or post game. I rarely watch other games unless there's some big story behind it. I admit that football is on the TV from noon to 6 on Sunday, so ya, I am lining pockets. However, for me it's different now. I am no longer consumed with the media on Monday-Saturday and my only sit down time is when the Cowboys actually play. Normally (when it's nice out) the TV is on in my garage and I am doing something and whatever game is on is just background noise.

I know that I am in the minority here but I am loosing interest in the NFL as a whole. The rules and flags have done a lot to make games not that much fun anymore. Sunday football used to be something to look forward to. It used to be, "hurry up and get the yard work done in the morning while having something smoking so we could eat it when everyone arrives for the big game." Now my nice Sundays are filled with riding my Harley with my wife and friends and we'll barely watch whatever game is on at whatever dive we decide to stop and eat at.

I love football but I don't love today's football if that makes any sense. and yes, I still love the Star. Always will.
Sorry to hear this. I’m probably older than you and have been a football fan longer and I love the sport more than I did when I started. I love everything about it. Changes happen. It’s inevitable. But I don’t let that spoil whats such a big part of fall and winter. Heck all year around as here I am.

TheCritic

Reaction score
This thread is not only brilliant, but it's also self-evident. So many Cowboys fans bending themselves out of shape to avoid facing the reality that they are also part of the problem. You don't have to avoid it, or deny it or have to defend anything. Just remember that if you are not satisfied with the results since the last Cowboys Super Bowl, that even in some small way, you helped pay for it.

cowboyed

Reaction score
Bold>There were two primary reasons. The first reason is as you stated. League teams, back then, were not sustained by the type of revenue it began raking in by the late 1990s. H.R. Bright bought the franchise in 1984, at the time in which the team's on-the-field success began to decline.

By comparison, stadium ticket sales was a huge slice of franchises' revenue pie prior to the 1990s than it was after Jerry Jones triggered a more-than-significant revitalization of money being raked in by the owners afterwards. Back then, Bright hoped a major change would re-ignite team success by altering course with the head coach and firing Tom Landry. Bright was too timid in ever pulling the trigger. All the while, the franchise was losing $1 million a month and was near bankruptcy (link).

Bright suffered his other major financial blow in the form of the 1988 Texas banking collapse (link). The FirstRepublicBank Corp's demise cost him $29 million in stock. Bright was proactive in making financial deals but had an innate fear of going broke also (link).

Both factors pushed Bright to sell. Jones had his opportunity to purchase the franchise. And the rest is history.

Thanks DallasEast, I really appreciated reading your additional how and why details of the team acquisition by Jerry Jones.

StarChamber_33

Reaction score
We have enough Blame Dak, Blame Jethro threads. How about a Blame Cowboys Fans thread?

All you hear about is the Jones family being in it for the money and are not serious about winning another SB. But isn't it Cowboys fans who financially enable the Jones family and their so-called dysfunctional behavior?

For once, I would like to see a Cowboys fan look in the camera and apologize to the world for financing the madness. Take some responsibility for a change.
In case you didn't know, TV / Ad revenue is where the real money is at.. Jersey sales and ticket sales are a mere drop in the bucket for ole Jerruh and the gang. The NFL is a cash cow and every owner in the league has fat pockets because of that fact.

Being a fan of a team isn't something that you can turn on and off like a water faucet lol.. A real fan is emotionally invested in his or her team and wants to see them win no matter what. I don't know if you've been keeping track, but this team has won 12-games three years in a row!! I think that qualifies as a team / franchise that is trying to win.. Anyone with your thought process isn't a fan of this team anyway, so good luck finding another squad to root for.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
They're Pinky and the Brain,
Yes Pinky and the Brain,
One is a mad genius, the other's insane!

Their front office is in a vise,
Their genes can't be spliced!
They're Pinky, they're Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!

Before each preseason is done,
Their plan will be unfurled!
Before fans face fatigue,
They'll take over the league!

Yes Pinky and the Brain,
Their annual campaign is easy to explain,
To prove their latest sell,
They'll overthrow the NFL!

They're Pinky, they're Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, NARF!

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Yes Pinky and the Brain,
One is a mad genius, the other's insane!

Their front office is in a vise,
Their genes can't be spliced!
They're Pinky, they're Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, BRAIN!

Before each preseason is done,
Their plan will be unfurled!
Before fans face fatigue,
They'll take over the league!

Yes Pinky and the Brain,
Their annual campaign is easy to explain,
To prove their latest sell,
They'll overthrow the NFL!

They're Pinky, they're Pinky and the Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, Brain, NARF!
That was good. I could change a few words and make a song about Pinky. lol

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score

You're not alone - trust me. The NFL isn't the same as it was from the mid 1970's when I first started watching up to the late 1990's when the ridiculous salaries started popping up. It seems more and more the competition is no longer on the field, it's about who can score the largest contract. The players no longer play for the love of the game, and they no longer have the passion to win championships, at least that's how it seems in Dallas. Money - that's all anyone wants. It's not about the sport any more, and that's why I am close to walking away for good. No one wants to win, all they are interested in is market setting or history making contracts. Screw that...

There are much better things I would rather do on Sunday's than support an industry that is more like the WWE now than it has ever been.