I could live with an Iloka and Quinn finish

Sydla

Reaction score
It would not be a great FA period for the Cowboys, but it certainly wouldn't be bad. Frankly, if one were honest, it's probably the best they could have done given the limitations they put on themselves in FA.

Make no mistake, a guy like Iloka isn't a solution. He's a short term fix. The Cowboys can still draft a S that they like if the opportunity presents itself.

There is no way the Cowboys would do this, but I'd still sniff around Suh. The market for him seems light right now so I would guess he's trending towards signing another one year deal. Suh, again, is not a long term solution. He's no longer "elite". But he would present an upgrade on what you have.

If the Cowboys brought in Quinn and Suh, suddenly the DL is looking pretty darn strong:

DE - Lawrence, Taco
1T - Suh, Woods, Covington (can probably swing between 1T and 3T)
3T - Crawford, Collins
DE - Quinn, Armstrong, Gregory

Draft either a 1T or a 3T (or both) and suddenly that DL is looking like a strength of the team.

PS - If Suh turns you off, then I'd still look at a guy like Shelton to plug in at the 1T. He provies little in the passing game but is an active run stuffer.

PPS - Sorry for the typo in the title!

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It would not be a great FA period for the Cowboys, but it certainly wouldn't be bad. Frankly, if one were honest, it's probably the best they could have done given the limitations they put on themselves in FA.

Make no mistake, a guy like Iloka isn't a solution. He's a short term fix. The Cowboys can still draft a S that they like if the opportunity presents itself.

There is no way the Cowboys would do this, but I'd still sniff around Suh. The market for him seems light right now so I would guess he's trending towards signing another one year deal. Suh, again, is not a long term solution. He's no longer "elite". But he would present an upgrade on what you have.

If the Cowboys brought in Quinn and Suh, suddenly the DL is looking pretty darn strong:

DE - Lawrence, Taco
3T - Crawford, Collins

Draft either a 1T or a 3T (or both) and suddenly that DL is looking like a strength of the team.

I'm on board, although I can't say I'm really knowledgeable about Iloka. Statistically he seems about the same as Heath, but maybe stats don't tell the whole story?

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

DE - Lawrence, Taco
3T - Crawford, Collins

PS - If Suh turns you off, then I'd still look at a guy like Shelton to plug in at the 1T. He provies little in the passing game but is an active run stuffer.

PPS - Sorry for the typo in the title!

I’d throw Tim Jernigan’s in as another name at defensive tackle. Coming off of the back issue, he will likely be cheap in a one year prove it deal, and that’s what they seem to be looking for.

Sydla

Reaction score
I'm on board, although I can't say I'm really knowledgeable about Iloka. Statistically he seems about the same as Heath, but maybe stats don't tell the whole story?

John Owning did a write up on three safeties we could land - Iloka, Cyprien and Phillips. Said Iloka is an ideal fit for the scheme we run, is a more sure tackler too. Again, Heath was one of the worst starting safeties at missing tackles last year.

Sydla

Reaction score
I’d throw Tim Jernigan’s in as another name at defensive tackle. Coming off of the back issue, he will likely be cheap in a one year prove it deal, and that’s what they seem to be looking for.

Definitely.

I guess what my larger point here is I would still go out and get another vet DT here. They like Covington, I get that. But I would still go for depth at DT. You can also still draft one. Frankly, while I am OK with Collins and Crawford, neither is a killer 3T. So, bring in some vet bodies at the 1T, and then hope a guy like Gerald Willis or Tillery slide to you as legit 3Ts and be happy.

conner01

Reaction score
We have a team of over achievers
Suh is the total opposite
I wouldn’t touch him
I really liked iioka coming out
And at the right price he doesn’t hurt but I don’t think he is much of an upgrade either
We need a big body in the middle
Shelton at the right price atleast gives you that

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like Iloka as he would be an upgrade. As the OP mentioned, not a long term solution. And I do expect them to draft a S in the 2nd or 3rd round, as I also expect a DT with the other. Well, I hope they do. But if we can sign ILoka and maybe Suh, or don't rule our McDowel still. As well Quinn. Then that does leave those picks open for BPA / are of need player to be elected.

But if we can get Quinn, Iloka and Such or McDowell, if healthy, then I will b pretty comfortable going into the draft.

Sydla

Reaction score
I like Iloka as he would be an upgrade. As the OP mentioned, not a long term solution. And I do expect them to draft a S in the 2nd or 3rd round, as I also expect a DT with the other. Well, I hope they do. But if we can sign ILoka and maybe Suh, or don't rule our McDowel still. As well Quinn. Then that does leave those picks open for BPA / are of need player to be elected.

But if we can get Quinn, Iloka and Such or McDowell, if healthy, then I will b pretty comfortable going into the draft.

One thing to note............. Quinn is essential IMO.

You don't bring in Quinn, I think DE is now on the board in the 2nd or 3rd round. You simply cannot be dumb enough to think Lawrence, Taco, Armstrong and Hyder is good enough at DE.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
John Owning did a write up on three safeties we could land - Iloka, Cyprien and Phillips. Said Iloka is an ideal fit for the scheme we run, is a more sure tackler too. Again, Heath was one of the worst starting safeties at missing tackles last year.

I personally don't have the dislike of Heath some do, but without a doubt he can take some bad angles or fail to break down when tackling. Being a more sure tackler was what I suspected might be the difference with Iloka, so thanks for confirming.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitely.

I guess what my larger point here is I would still go out and get another vet DT here. They like Covington, I get that. But I would still go for depth at DT. You can also still draft one. Frankly, while I am OK with Collins and Crawford, neither is a killer 3T. So, bring in some vet bodies at the 1T, and then hope a guy like Gerald Willis or Tillery slide to you as legit 3Ts and be happy.

They definitely need more there no matter what. Even the guys they have left are only here short term.
I’d draft at least one, and likely two defensive tackles for the future.

Sydla

Reaction score
They definitely need more there no matter what. Even the guys they have left are only here short term.
I’d draft at least one, and likely two defensive tackles for the future.

I'd poop my pants if the draft board fell where we could get a legit 3T like Willis or Tillery in the 2nd, a real solid S prospect in the 3rd and then a slobberknocker type 1T in the 4th.

Carson

Reaction score

Agreed. I’m liking our approach.

Filling needs, but not breaking the bank.

I’d be very happy with Iloka and Quinn. Iloka may not be Eric Berry. But he’s going to give you 16 games where Berry May give you three

Sydla

Reaction score
So you would prefer a slower Strong Safety?

I prefer a better one. Iloka is that. People fall in love with Heath's speed and think that somehow makes him a better safety. It does not, especially in the role they ask him to play. It's not just Cowboys fans that have an issue with Heath. Football Outsiders has said he's one of the worst safeties starting. Local writers have picked apart his game. John Owning has said he's not very good and that guys like Iloka and Cyprien and Phillips would be upgrades.

What good is speed if you take bad angles and miss a ton of tackles? Oh, but he pushed Carr out and saved the Raiders game. One play doesn't make up for all the bad plays.

Carson

Reaction score
So you would prefer a slower Strong Safety?

Meh.

But I much prefer a sure tackling SS who is dependable and allowing Heath to be what he does best. A sub package, make plays when needed guy. He shouldn’t be a full time starter. He’s played much better in limited snaps

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
He's an upgrade on Heath. Huge upgrade? Of course not. But you get a surer tackler at SS and a guy with more size that can jam and handle TEs, something Heath also struggled at.
Sure, which is to say no difference on game day.

This defense needs playmakers and guys who create turnovers. Iloka isn't that.