I could live with an Iloka and Quinn finish

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, that's why Heath has started the past several years and remains the starter.

Apparently the Cowboys don't want him starting for much longer since they have been kicking the tires on Ss this FA period.

Sydla

Reaction score

Smarter people than you, for sure.

I think we found the biggest Heath fan boy.

It's utterly not surprising that you like what is a below average starting SS in this league simply because he's a Cowboy. Therefore, he must be good. Because only really good players play for the Cowboys!

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Berry has played like 5 games in 3 years. That's quite a risk to take. But I would not be opposed to bringing him in but I would do it with eyes wide open understanding there is a really good chance he's A) not the same player B) likely not playing 16 games.

There's no reason to not bring in an upgrade at S, and Iloka is that, on the cheap to replace Heath while still looking to the draft for a longer term solution.
Yea, which is why I said "potential." I wouldn't depend on Berry for anything.

I know there's no reason not to. I don't care if they do or don't. But at the end of the day, it's a lateral move. Iloka had 16 tackles last year...do we really think that he's going to come in and tackle Saquon in space, because that's what we're talking about here.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
No the Kam Chancellor that was a 4 time Pro Bowler and 2 time 2nd team All-Pro.

That Chancellor.

And note, Iloka isn't as good as Chancellor was in his prime.
Iloka isn't that good. Period. If he was, the Bengals would have kept and paid him $5 million / season, which would have been a good deal on a good Safety.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I'm on board, although I can't say I'm really knowledgeable about Iloka. Statistically he seems about the same as Heath, but maybe stats don't tell the whole story?

Better run stopper. Worse pass defender.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yea, which is why I said "potential." I wouldn't depend on Berry for anything.

I know there's no reason not to. I don't care if they do or don't. But at the end of the day, it's a lateral move. Iloka had 16 tackles last year...do we really think that he's going to come in and tackle Saquon in space, because that's what we're talking about here.

He has a better shot of it than Heath, who had the 2nd most missed tackles amongst Ss last year and one of the worst tackle effectiveness rates.

Sandyf

Reaction score
I still think we need to draft one in the third round.

Iloka doesn't instantly change this defense the way Earl would have.
I believe Iloka is an upgrade over Heath. Just not so sure the Cowboys looked at Earl of being a huge upgrade over Woods. Woods was starting to come into his own and may prove us wrong about needing Earl, lets hope so.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yeah, because he was surrounded by All Pros. You mean the same Kam Chancellor that Zeke trucked over? lol

Same Cam Chancellor that help the Seahawks reach the SB and got a lot of recognition for his play in Seattle. He played within the system that Richard was teaching and did so very well. As for Zeke running him over you bet it made highlights because it was a big deal, he took on one of the league big hitters and won. Had Zeke did that to another safety no one would have said anything. Fact is Richard likes big players and Chancellor at 6’3” 225 fit that bill for what they wanted from that position.

. Iloka at 6'4" 225 and actually quicker than Chancellor I think is someone who can fit into what Richard is looking for.

Sydla

Reaction score
Iloka isn't that good. Period. If he was, the Bengals would have kept and paid him $5 million / season, which would have been a good deal on a good Safety.

The Bengals drafted two young safeties so Iloka became a cap casualty. Which is what the Cowboys should do here. Bring in Iloka as a short term solution and draft a S for long term.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score
I’d throw Tim Jernigan’s in as another name at defensive tackle. Coming off of the back issue, he will likely be cheap in a one year prove it deal, and that’s what they seem to be looking for.
That is the kid I want. Young and fixes both long and short term concerns.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
No the Kam Chancellor that was a 4 time Pro Bowler and 2 time 2nd team All-Pro.

That Chancellor.

And note, Iloka isn't as good as Chancellor was in his prime.

True but then they played in 2 different defensive systems. If Cowboys do come to an agreement it will be interesting to see how Iloka adjust to what he will be asked to do from Richard.

JustChip

Reaction score
I don’t know if Ilona is better or not in this scheme with the existing personnel. However, that doesn’t matter, they should be LOOKING to upgrade at just about every position. Bring Iloka in & let him compete during camp (hopefully with a draft pick as well). If he’s better, he takes over, if he’s not you’ve not really lost anything unless they pay him crazy money.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Same Cam Chancellor that help the Seahawks reach the SB and got a lot of recognition for his play in Seattle. He played within the system that Richard was teaching and did so very well. As for Zeke running him over you bet it made highlights because it was a big deal, he took on one of the league big hitters and won. Had Zeke did that to another safety no one would have said anything. Fact is Richard likes big players and Chancellor at 6’3” 225 fit that bill for what they wanted from that position.

. Iloka at 6'4" 225 and actually quicker than Chancellor I think is someone who can fit into what Richard is looking for.
Kam Chancellor 40 time: 4.69 seconds
George Iloka 40 time: 4.67

Yes, that Iloka is much quicker and faster. :omg:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Smarter people than you, for sure.

I think we found the biggest Heath fan boy.

It's utterly not surprising that you like what is a below average starting SS in this league simply because he's a Cowboy. Therefore, he must be good. Because only really good players play for the Cowboys!

This guy rips Kiper as a know nothing in the draft but preaches the scriptures of the legendary John Owning.

Ahuh.

Sydla

Reaction score
I don’t know if Ilona is better or not in this scheme with the existing personnel. However, that doesn’t matter, they should be LOOKING to upgrade at just about every position. Bring Iloka in & let him compete during camp (hopefully with a draft pick as well). If he’s better, he takes over, if he’s not you’ve not really lost anything unless they pay him crazy money.

Bingo. Iloka is the short term fix, the draft pick is the long term solution.

There is another angle to this as well. What happens if the draft falls a certain way and you can't land that long term solution at S? You ready to roll into 2019 with Heath as your starting SS again?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
The Bengals drafted two young safeties so Iloka became a cap casualty. Which is what the Cowboys should do here. Bring in Iloka as a short term solution and draft a S for long term.
Heath is younger than Iloka, plus faster, quicker and by far out-played him last year.

But Iloka is better...:facepalm:

Sydla

Reaction score
This guy rips Kiper as a know nothing in the draft but preaches the scriptures of the legendary John Owning.

Ahuh.

I ripped Kiper's grades because they make zero sense because there is no consistency. Frankly, I am not sure he even really gives a crap about grades but that ESPN kind of forces him to do that stuff.

I have no real issues with his scouting skills. In that sense, he's as good as anyone else out there, if not better.