I could live with an Iloka and Quinn finish

8FOR!3

Reaction score
I still think we need to draft one in the third round.

Iloka doesn't instantly change this defense the way Earl would have.

And we can afford to. DT in the second, safety in the 3rd, the rest of the draft can go to LB/DB/OL depth or TE/backup RB/another slot receiver to go along with Cobb

Sydla

Reaction score
Sure, which is to say no difference on game day.

This defense needs playmakers and guys who create turnovers. Iloka isn't that.

OK. Where is this playmaker coming from right now? Is there that guy sitting out there in FA?

Nope.

So at this point, bring in a guy in Iloka that is better than Heath and then look to the draft for a long term solution.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
OK. Where is this playmaker coming from right now? Is there that guy sitting out there in FA?

Nope.

So at this point, bring in a guy in Iloka that is better than Heath and then look to the draft for a long term solution.
There was one, and he's no longer available. Berry is the only potential guy left.

I don't care if they bring in Iloka, Cyprien, Keith Davis or whoever to replace Heath. These guys are all the same.

Just because you miss out on the top guy doesn't mean you sign the #6 guy just for the sake of signing one.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Nope.

Iloka is better than Heath? Says who? Iloka is slower than molasses. Have you watched his tape?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
I prefer a better one. Iloka is that. People fall in love with Heath's speed and think that somehow makes him a better safety. It does not, especially in the role they ask him to play. It's not just Cowboys fans that have an issue with Heath. Football Outsiders has said he's one of the worst safeties starting. Local writers have picked apart his game. John Owning has said he's not very good and that guys like Iloka and Cyprien and Phillips would be upgrades.

What good is speed if you take bad angles and miss a ton of tackles? Oh, but he pushed Carr out and saved the Raiders game. One play doesn't make up for all the bad plays.
Heath IS better than Iloka. Go watch their tapes.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I’d throw Tim Jernigan’s in as another name at defensive tackle. Coming off of the back issue, he will likely be cheap in a one year prove it deal, and that’s what they seem to be looking for.

Agreed. Jernigan would be an excellent pickup for our team.

Sydla

Reaction score
Heath IS better than Iloka. Go watch their tapes.

He is not.

Jeff Heath was the second worst S in football last year in missed tackles, for starters. That's coming off a 2017 when he wasn't a great tackler either. Not a great quality to have from your starting SS.

Sydla

Reaction score
There was one, and he's no longer available. Berry is the only potential guy left.

I don't care if they bring in Iloka, Cyprien, Keith Davis or whoever to replace Heath. These guys are all the same.

Just because you miss out on the top guy doesn't mean you sign the #6 guy just for the sake of signing one.

Berry has played like 5 games in 3 years. That's quite a risk to take. But I would not be opposed to bringing him in but I would do it with eyes wide open understanding there is a really good chance he's A) not the same player B) likely not playing 16 games.

There's no reason to not bring in an upgrade at S, and Iloka is that, on the cheap to replace Heath while still looking to the draft for a longer term solution.

Boyz4Lyfe33

Reaction score
People on here really think Heath is not terrible lol.. We cant be watching the same games

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
He is not.

Jeff Heath was the second worst S in football last year in missed tackles, for starters. That's coming off a 2017 when he wasn't a great tackler either. Not a great quality to have from your starting SS.
For starters? What else was Heath worst at? I'll wait...

eromeopolk

Reaction score
It would not be a great FA period for the Cowboys, but it certainly wouldn't be bad. Frankly, if one were honest, it's probably the best they could have done given the limitations they put on themselves in FA.

Make no mistake, a guy like Iloka isn't a solution. He's a short term fix. The Cowboys can still draft a S that they like if the opportunity presents itself.

There is no way the Cowboys would do this, but I'd still sniff around Suh. The market for him seems light right now so I would guess he's trending towards signing another one year deal. Suh, again, is not a long term solution. He's no longer "elite". But he would present an upgrade on what you have.

If the Cowboys brought in Quinn and Suh, suddenly the DL is looking pretty darn strong:

DE - Lawrence, Taco
1T - Suh, Woods, Covington (can probably swing between 1T and 3T)
3T - Crawford, Collins
DE - Quinn, Armstrong, Gregory

Draft either a 1T or a 3T (or both) and suddenly that DL is looking like a strength of the team.

PS - If Suh turns you off, then I'd still look at a guy like Shelton to plug in at the 1T. He provies little in the passing game but is an active run stuffer.

PPS - Sorry for the typo in the title!
Like what your thinking. We need players that are available and reliable.

Sydla

Reaction score
Yeah, because he was surrounded by All Pros. You mean the same Kam Chancellor that Zeke trucked over? lol

No the Kam Chancellor that was a 4 time Pro Bowler and 2 time 2nd team All-Pro.

That Chancellor.

And note, Iloka isn't as good as Chancellor was in his prime.

Falco78

Reaction score
Suh listed in OP yet not a part of title or a part of $???????