I emailed Steve Hoffman and got a response!

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
davidyee said:
...the league has had an alarming amount of kicks missed under 40 yards this year. The fields haven't changed, the equipment is the same...

mmm what kind of idiot thinks all kickers in the history of the NFL are perfect from the easy distance?

well according to you hoffman would have made this all different.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
wileedog said:
I still haven't seen legitimate proof that a kicking coach makes a real difference.

The sample sizes even for Cundiff are very, very small and not statistically legit. He really could have just had a bad week or two which had nothing to do with a coach here or not.

Cortez sucked before he got here. He sucked after he left. There is no way in heck you can prove that he would have been any different with Hoffman on board.

Prove to me a full time kicking coach makes a difference during the season (not as an offseason consultant), and then maybe you have an arguement.

Lets see Lin Elliot solid Kicker left Dallas tanked Chris Bonil good kicker left Dallas went to hail in a hand basket.

He got something out of Tim Seder

My how people forget what he meant durning the SB runs and the crap we ran out there. He turned them into solid kickers that does not even count punters and they left here and suxed big time arse.

So bang all you want you will still be wrong he did produce as a coach here

TonyS

Reaction score
Please, someone make this madness stop. :stop:

:thankyou:

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Of course you need a kicking coach, most teams have them...But heck, most teams have an OC too. Which we don't have.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
wileedog said:
He will be who he is under pressure. No amount of encouragement from afar by other kickers is going to change that.

Proper preparation prevents poor performance....

Knowing a little bit of training individuals (Drill Sergeant course) while people do perform differently under pressure most things if practiced correctly can be perfomed with effeciency under pressure..but first and for most is to build a convidence in the individual that he can do this (whatever the "this" is) then subject him to pressures building belief and trust in his own abilities to get the job done...this is proven to work...now Bill on the other hand seems to want to subject them to pressure in the belief that what don't kill you will make you stronger...this approach rarely works

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
cajuncowboy said:
I was so ticked I decided to track him down and see if he was still available. Seems he is still interested in us. Here are the emails. The first was from me:

I just found your website and this email. If you are still available to coach, the Cowboys need you back badly. Firing you was the worst thing they could have done. If it were not for the bad kicking, the Boys would be in the playoffs. Anyway, I just wondered if you were with any other team or not.

Thanks Rob,

A Cowboys fan.

He also included his phone number in the email which shocked me but I will not include it here for obvious reasons.

Steve's reply:

Thanks for the kind thoughts, Rob.

I do consulting work for many NFL and major college teams now, helping out with their kickers, punters, and holders.

Perhaps someday the situation will change in Dallas and I will be able to return to the Cowboys, but for now I will do my best to be a positive influence on kickers and punters around the league and at the college level.

Sincerely,

Steve Hoffman

Let's get him on the phone Jerry. I have his number!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I gotta hand it to ya, you are a man of faith!

It doesn't sound like he will be consulting with BP, does it? I don't know, we could always suggest it to the Big D organization with semi-mass emails. Perhaps, although I have seen no sign, Parcells has learned some lessons and is willing to learn from errors. Jerruh changed some so anyone can.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
mschmidt64 said:
No.

I'm saying I don't want to have to put up with that kind of mediocrity anymore.

We took a bunch of street free agents and rode whoever had a hot leg until it went cold.

And those hot legs were never better than average.

It took absolutely ZERO extra coaching.

The ability that Hoffman brought to the table was his ability to find street fa's and suggest them to the coaching staff.

:yawn:

What a messiah!

He provided us with average to below average kicking for a decade! Lets pay him a few hundred grand a year for being a scout who only scouts kickers, and never even finds good ones, only cheap ones!

I want a real kicker.

If you hadn't already decided that you personally like Hoffman (probably because you are an old-timey homer for the good ol days) and will stick up for him no matter how you have to stretch your argument...

.... you'd realize that you want a real kicker too.

I agree and I don't see the need in getting a kicking coach I see the need to get a kicker. Other team manage just fine without a kicking coach and to say keeping Hoffman would have made a difference in the kicking game I highly doubt that.

marsbennett

Mars Man
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
I agree and I don't see the need in getting a kicking coach I see the need to get a kicker. Other team manage just fine without a kicking coach and to say keeping Hoffman would have made a difference in the kicking game I highly doubt that.
There are coaches for nearly every other individual position on the team. Why, then, would we not want a coach for the position on the team that is responsible for scoring the most points?

Doomsday101

Reaction score
marsbennett said:
There are coaches for nearly every other individual position on the team. Why, then, would we not want a coach for the position on the team that is responsible for scoring the most points?

Every team out there manages just fine without a kicking coach, special team coach in the man in charge of the unit including the kicker. In the end the coach does not kick the ball the kicker does, bring in a kicker that can do the job. I don't think keeping Hoffman would have made any difference what so ever to the poor kicking we saw after all he had been working 1 on 1 with Cundiff before he resigned with the Cowboys and I don't see where any of that work paid off.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Jarv said:
Of course you need a kicking coach, most teams have them...But heck, most teams have an OC too. Which we don't have.

hehe

So strue, Parcells is a one man show.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Doomsday101 said:
Every team out there manages just fine without a kicking coach, special team coach in the man in charge of the unit including the kicker. In the end the coach does not kick the ball the kicker does, bring in a kicker that can do the job. I don't think keeping Hoffman would have made any difference what so ever to the poor kicking we saw after all he had been working 1 on 1 with Cundiff before he resigned with the Cowboys and I don't see where any of that work paid off.

I wouldnt say every team out there manages just fine without a kicking coach. Starting with the Dallas Cowboys.

Hoffman made our kickers better, its a fact. He could have been the difference this season, another fact. Parcells is a dip!

BARRYRAY

Reaction score
I'm for anything that works, honestly the kicking game cost us the playoffs , there were other areas we were short, but a good kicker would have covered at least three of our losses, this guy won't be back, but BP sucks as a kicking coach, no one else can be blamed, he took on the reponsibility and he failed at it, we also screwed up bigtime by cutting the longsnapper, this area is so critical in the NFL and yet it doesn't get the attention it deserves and it will and did jump up and bite you..

Doomsday101

Reaction score
NovaCowboy said:
I wouldnt say every team out there manages just fine without a kicking coach. Starting with the Dallas Cowboys.

Hoffman made our kickers better, its a fact. He could have been the difference this season, another fact. Parcells is a dip!

That is your opinion I don't think Hoffman is the reason why Cundiff makes a kick or misses a kick. He was not that good to begin with. You want to improve the kicking game then get a good kicker it is as simple as that.

NovaCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
BARRYRAY said:
I'm for anything that works, honestly the kicking game cost us the playoffs , there were other areas we were short, but a good kicker would have covered at least three of our losses, this guy won't be back, but BP sucks as a kicking coach, no one else can be blamed, he took on the reponsibility and he failed at it, we also screwed up bigtime by cutting the longsnapper, this area is so critical in the NFL and yet it doesn't get the attention it deserves and it will and did jump up and bite you..

We started coming around before Parcells arrived here. We actuall spent good money on Jeff Robinson for his long snapping ability. Of course, Parcells, King of everything, decided he wasnt worth the dough. The rest is history.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
Jimz31 said:
Let's face it....what Jimmy Johnson said was correct....One fo BP's biggest mistakes was letting Hoffman go.

Well since a lot of people around here are fond of saying They'll take Parcells opinion over a board member...because he's won 2 Super Bowls...

I'll take Jimmy Johnsons' opinion over people here saying Hoffman didn't make a difference because Johnson won 2 Super Bowls IN Dallas and he hired Hoffman and knows how valuable he is.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
How many phenomenal kickers did Hoffman develop? Boniol was the only one who even came close to an 85% completion rate. Hoffman is reaching Jamar Martin level of overrated.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
How many phenomenal kickers did Hoffman develop? Boniol was the only one who even came close to an 85% completion rate. Hoffman is reaching Jamar Martin level of overrated.

I agree he is not a cure all for Dallas kicking problems. I don't dislike him and if he did return I would not object but I also don't think having him on staff makes that much of a difference.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:

You could say the same thing about Parcells.