I emailed Steve Hoffman and got a response!

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
Well here is an update. I replied back to him asking a question regarding who he thought would be a good prospect and I aksed him about the chances of him returning. I will not print what he wrote but let me just say this, As long as Parcells is there, Steve Hoffman will not be back. Period. End of story.

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
That was his job. He was the only kicking-only coach in the NFL because he was supposed to find and develop NFL quality kickers. He wasn't doing his job. What's the point in having him if you're going to sign proven, veteran kickers? He should get down on his hands and knees and be thankfull he ever had a specialty job like that in the first place when no other franchise in the league thinks they are necessary.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
InmanRoshi said:
That was his job. He was the only kicking-only coach in the NFL because he was supposed to find and develop NFL quality kickers. He wasn't doing his job. What's the point in having him if you're going to sign proven, veteran kickers? He should get down on his hands and knees and be thankfull he ever had a specialty job like that in the first place when no other franchise in the league thinks they are necessary.

...we don't know what his operating restrictions were. What is obvious is that Hoffman never pursued young rookie free agaents who were involved in a bidding war for their services. ie. signing bonuses for attending camp.

From what I saw Hoffman took Chicken **** and made Chicken soup out of it on a regular basis.

I'm not a specific Hoffman supporter, but I'm a definite advocate of specialty coaches to enhance athletes' performance - geez like our team's morality guy.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
BigDFan5 said:
go look it up our kickers were 74% this year and last year a whopping 76% under Hoffman the great. Big friggin difference

...as per NFL.com Cundiff's stats for 2005 are 62% this year and Suisham's was 75% on 3 out of 4 and Cortez was 75%. That works out to 70% for the lot.

Last year was all Cundiff at 76.9%. More importantly, Cundiff's change from one year to the other is dramatic.