3. Cardinals RB David Johnson: $13 million
4. Falcons RB Devonta Freeman: $8.3 million
5. Bills RB LeSean McCoy: $8 million
6. Giants RB Saquon Barkley: $7.8 million
7. 49ers RB Jerick McKinnon: $7.5 million
8. Jaguars RB Leonard Fournette: $6.8 million
9. Texans RB Lamar Miller: $6.5 million
10. Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott: $6.2 million

He's in the Top 10 at his position. There are only 9 other players at his position that make more money than he does and he is refusing to even show up. Do you see something those other players have in common? With the exception of Barkley, who was drafted two spots higher than him 2 years later, and Fournette, who was drafted a year later (higher salary cap, higher rookie cap), none of them are on their rookie contracts. You play, you play well, you will get rewarded.

Being vocal about wanting a new contract is fine. If he had held out after this season, I could maybe understand where he is coming from. But the fact you are holding out after playing 3 years, having multiple off-field encounters, even getting suspended for 6 games...he (or more likely his agent) must be dumb.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I feel nothing for a man who business is worth +$4B with employees making $M wanting a raise when the performance justifies a raise i.e. your business is worth $4B.

I feel nothing for a man who values himself at $M wanting more $M from the $B business that employees him i.e. his value help make the business worth $4B.

I feel everything for a Dallas Cowboys fan since 1968 that has not seen his favorite team worth $4B not play in a NFC Championship game since 1995, has not had consecutive 10+ win seasons since 1996, has not had a Head Coach with successful game management experience of back to back playoffs since 1999, and have watch the Dallas Cowboys completely go from world class winner to world class entertainer.

I feel nothing and I feel everything.

Another hater of successful people. As if being rich and successful are dirty words.

You should have the utmost respect for a guy like that for what he has done on the business side of the Cowboys.

If you ever have the guts to start your own business that attitude of yours towards owners and employees will change dramatically. Or you won't be in business for very long. There is a balance between how an owner pays and treats his employees.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
1. Rams RB Todd Gurley: $14.4 million
2. Jets RB Le’Veon Bell: $13.1 million
3. Cardinals RB David Johnson: $13 million
4. Falcons RB Devonta Freeman: $8.3 million
5. Bills RB LeSean McCoy: $8 million
6. Giants RB Saquon Barkley: $7.8 million
7. 49ers RB Jerick McKinnon: $7.5 million
8. Jaguars RB Leonard Fournette: $6.8 million
9. Texans RB Lamar Miller: $6.5 million
10. Cowboys RB Ezekiel Elliott: $6.2 million

He's in the Top 10 at his position. There are only 9 other players at his position that make more money than he does and he is refusing to even show up. Do you see something those other players have in common? With the exception of Barkley, who was drafted two spots higher than him 2 years later, and Fournette, who was drafted a year later (higher salary cap, higher rookie cap), none of them are on their rookie contracts. You play, you play well, you will get rewarded.

Being vocal about wanting a new contract is fine. If he had held out after this season, I could maybe understand where he is coming from. But the fact you are holding out after playing 3 years, having multiple off-field encounters, even getting suspended for 6 games...he (or more likely his agent) must be dumb.

Zeke's making $3.8 million this season, which isn't close to top 10. The reason David Johnson isn't playing on his rookie deal is because Arizona gave him a new contract after 3 years. Todd Gurley also got a new contract after 3 years. Go figure.

While people twist and spin then pretend to have no idea why Zeke would hold out, it's not hard to understand if you're just honest with the facts. I don't like that he's holding out, but he has some obvious reasons.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I thought what the OP was trying to say was that he doesn't care about billionaires arguing with millionaires in the media, or feeling sorry for either of them whining about their alleged plights. What he cares about is this franchise doing better on the field. I didn't start loving this game as a kid because of players' "brands" or owners' Forbes rankings.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
Another hater of successful people. As if being rich and successful are dirty words.

You should have the utmost respect for a guy like that for what he has done on the business side of the Cowboys.

If you ever have the guts to start your own business that attitude of yours towards owners and employees will change dramatically. Or you won't be in business for very long. There is a balance between how an owner pays and treats his employees.
Read the post again. I feel Nothing for Jerry Jones, Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott or Amari Cooper contract negotiations. Since 1995 contract negotiations by the Dallas Cowboys have not deliver one NFC Championship game and not one Super Bowl.

Cowboy fans have got nothing from their millionaire players or their billionaire owner. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Read the post again. I feel Nothing for Jerry Jones, Dak Prescott, Ezekiel Elliott or Amari Cooper contract negotiations. Since 1995 contract negotiations by the Dallas Cowboys have not deliver one NFC Championship game and not one Super Bowl.

Cowboy fans have got nothing from their millionaire players or their billionaire owner. Nothing from nothing leaves nothing:

Fine, I take it back. :grin:

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I thought what the OP was trying to say was that he doesn't care about billionaires arguing with millionaires in the media, or feeling sorry for either of them whining about their alleged plights. What he cares about is this franchise doing better on the field. I didn't start loving this game as a kid because of players' "brands" or owners' Forbes rankings.
"Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding."

You have wisdom and understanding

CowboysRule

Reaction score
Zeke's making $3.8 million this season, which isn't close to top 10. The reason David Johnson isn't playing on his rookie deal is because Arizona gave him a new contract after 3 years. Todd Gurley also got a new contract after 3 years. Go figure.

While people twist and spin then pretend to have no idea why Zeke would hold out, it's not hard to understand if you're just honest with the facts. I don't like that he's holding out, but he has some obvious reasons.
I must've missed where Gurley and Johnson held out.

Point-of-the-Star

Reaction score
I feel nothing for a man who business is worth +$4B with employees making $M wanting a raise when the performance justifies a raise i.e. your business is worth $4B.

I feel nothing for a man who values himself at $M wanting more $M from the $B business that employees him i.e. his value help make the business worth $4B.

I feel everything for a Dallas Cowboys fan since 1968 that has not seen his favorite team worth $4B not play in a NFC Championship game since 1995, has not had consecutive 10+ win seasons since 1996, has not had a Head Coach with successful game management experience of back to back playoffs since 1999, and have watch the Dallas Cowboys completely go from world class winner to world class entertainer.

I've been a fan about as long but Booger could have $400B and that doesn't influence the cap restrictions. I think Jerrah would pay 'em all whatever they wanted if he thought he'd get another SB win before he goes to the great pickle jar in the sky!

Now, Booger pushed for the cap because egotistically he thought he was smarter than everyone else and could manipulate it to his advantage. He was turribly wrong as we longer term fans know. And yes, I blame him for this ego driven drought!

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
Except you likely haven’t grown up considering you come to a message board to insult and demean other posters that don’t think like you.

Plus you paint with broad brushes. Nowhere have I burned Zeke in effigy. I don’t think he went about getting a new deal in the right way and, in general, I don’t like paying TBs big money.

Pl,ease don't make the mistake of thinking I care if you change your mind.

kskboys

Reaction score

What a player makes in any given year is irrelevant. All that counts is the average salary.

Sydla

Reaction score
Look at Bradys career earnings on Spotrac.

Brady doesn't care at this point in his career.

But Zeke does care.

No, Brady just made his money in the form of signing bonus, etc.

Which is the point. Looking at just base salary shows an unbelievable ignorance on how contracts and players actually get paid. The more important number is guaranteed cash, because that's typically what a player actually makes.

And on his current contract, Elliott will essentially earn $33.6MM over 5 years (when they picked up the 5th year, practically every dollar of his contract was guaranteed). That would rank him 2nd behind Gurley in terms of guaranteed money over life of contract.

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score

Reading that now it makes sense. :thumbup:

ICP

Reaction score
Dak may not be worth as much as he is asking for, but he is certainly worth much more than he is being paid
Well, to me that's you could say that about almost any player that has performed well on their rookie deal. The problem I see is when they want to be paid like guys that have led their teams to championships when they've done far less

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

he could be worth 150B....there is a cap and he has to work within confines of the cap. prior to the cap, he spent money, we had a roster so deep we just turned them over and up came the next set of stars....