I fully expect Dak and the other 2 top players to receive extensions!

rambo2

Reaction score
If the Cowboys truly wanted to move on from Dak Prescott as their franchise QB, a move already would of been made. If they communicated that he is no longer in their future plans, Dak would of easily waived his no trade clause. Most may disagree, but the reality is that the Cowboys would have received a big package if they decided to trade him prior to the draft. In my opinion, there is very little chance they allow him to walk and just receive 3rd rd comp for his departure. The only thing that could change their thinking is if Trey Lance explodes in camp and forces their hand, but that remains extremely unlikely.

Cee Dee Lamb extension is just a matter of time. Under the Jones family, they always covet that #1 receiver, Lamb has proven to be just that and they are going to pay him what he is worth, probably market setting, if not top 3 at the position. Last time they decided to go receiver by committee, it was a total disaster.

Parsons just like Lamb plays at a premium position that the Cowboys Front Office has always paid in the past. The only one who walked away was Randy Gregory cause of a contract clause, hindsight, Cowboys really dodged a bullet as he is set to play with his 3rd team next year since his departure. Parsons/Diggs are their two defensive stars and they will keep them together for the forseeable future. Bland will join them down the line.

How do they manage the cap with such high salaries? Pretty much what they have been doing, don't spend fa dollars and replacing the aging players with controllable, low cost players through the draft.
Of course they will get extensions. They want to keep their best players.

rambo2

Reaction score
I disagree. If they really wanted to sign him they already would have. They still might but they aren’t 100% convinced. It’ll cripple the franchise for another five years and Jerry isn’t exactly buying green bananas.
It will keep the team good.

GuitarBytes

Reaction score
If the Cowboys truly wanted to move on from Dak Prescott as their franchise QB, a move already would of been made. If they communicated that he is no longer in their future plans, Dak would of easily waived his no trade clause. Most may disagree, but the reality is that the Cowboys would have received a big package if they decided to trade him prior to the draft. In my opinion, there is very little chance they allow him to walk and just receive 3rd rd comp for his departure. The only thing that could change their thinking is if Trey Lance explodes in camp and forces their hand, but that remains extremely unlikely.

Cee Dee Lamb extension is just a matter of time. Under the Jones family, they always covet that #1 receiver, Lamb has proven to be just that and they are going to pay him what he is worth, probably market setting, if not top 3 at the position. Last time they decided to go receiver by committee, it was a total disaster.

Parsons just like Lamb plays at a premium position that the Cowboys Front Office has always paid in the past. The only one who walked away was Randy Gregory cause of a contract clause, hindsight, Cowboys really dodged a bullet as he is set to play with his 3rd team next year since his departure. Parsons/Diggs are their two defensive stars and they will keep them together for the forseeable future. Bland will join them down the line.

How do they manage the cap with such high salaries? Pretty much what they have been doing, don't spend fa dollars and replacing the aging players with controllable, low cost players through the draft.
The situation as it has been happening is very complicated, and it is very frustrating not to see something concrete, since if it were just a player waiting for a big contract it would not be worrying, but there are 3, 2 potential contracts this year (Dak and CeeDee) and one next (Micah) but the problem is not only that, if you look at next year, the cowboys' free agency is very wide and if we name the most important ones that I can see, (Brandin Cooks, Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence,Trey Lance,Eric Kendricks,Bryan Anger,Jordan Lewis,Cooper Rush, ,C.J Goodwin,Osa Odighizuwa,Israel Mukuamu,Marquese Bell,Kavonte Turpin,Juanyeh Thomas) among others, You practically have almost half of the roster as free agents, and many of these are good players and depth, if you pay Dak and CeeDee, how much money are you going to even retain some free agents? and the problem with Dak is that in 2025, outside of the contract that they can give him, he will already cost 40M, let's imagine that they give him a contract of 60M per year, in 2025 Dak will hypothetically cost 100M, it is crazy.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
He will if he gets permission and thinks he'll be riding the pine this year.
Dak and his agent have come this far to get Dak into free agency. Being benched is not going to deter Dak. And teams can only discuss contracts with a player’s certified agent if he has an agreement with one. Dak does. No way Jerry unleashes Todd France to talk to any team about Dak before he’s officially a free agent, although I’m sure France would want to.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak and his agent have come this far to get Dak into free agency. Being benched is not going to deter Dak. And teams can only discuss contracts with a player’s certified agent if he has an agreement with one. Dak does. No way Jerry unleashes Todd France to talk to any team about Dak before he’s officially a free agent, although I’m sure France would want to.
Wouldn't we be compensated if he's traded vs FA? After all it's the Cowboys that haven't offered a contract, so if Dak seeks a trade before the deadline, it's a win-win.

Dak's value is not going to rise sitting the season, or playing behind a young poorly coached OL in a out-dated system right?
The competition level is about to rise both in and out of the division and we all know what that means for Dak.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
The situation as it has been happening is very complicated, and it is very frustrating not to see something concrete, since if it were just a player waiting for a big contract it would not be worrying, but there are 3, 2 potential contracts this year (Dak and CeeDee) and one next (Micah) but the problem is not only that, if you look at next year, the cowboys' free agency is very wide and if we name the most important ones that I can see, (Brandin Cooks, Zack Martin, DeMarcus Lawrence,Trey Lance,Eric Kendricks,Bryan Anger,Jordan Lewis,Cooper Rush, ,C.J Goodwin,Osa Odighizuwa,Israel Mukuamu,Marquese Bell,Kavonte Turpin,Juanyeh Thomas) among others, You practically have almost half of the roster as free agents, and many of these are good players and depth, if you pay Dak and CeeDee, how much money are you going to even retain some free agents? and the problem with Dak is that in 2025, outside of the contract that they can give him, he will already cost 40M, let's imagine that they give him a contract of 60M per year, in 2025 Dak will hypothetically cost 100M, it is crazy.
We may not like it, but they build via the draft. They extend their in-house stars and draft low cost, controllable talent. Problem with that strategy, if you have 1 bad draft class, it sets you back, kind of like last year.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Wouldn't we be compensated if he's traded vs FA? After all it's the Cowboys that haven't offered a contract, so if Dak seeks a trade before the deadline, it's a win-win.

Dak's value is not going to rise sitting the season, or playing behind a young poorly coached OL in a out-dated system right?
The competition level is about to rise both in and out of the division and we all know what that means for Dak.
He is most valuable as a free agent. He knows that. Todd France knows that. Not having to compensate the Cowboys to acquire Dak is the best case scenario for any team interested in signing him. Whatever he gets paid to play it will be more in free agency than otherwise. I’m sure the Cowboys understand the circumstances Dak’s agent has negotiated for him. The Cowboys are the ones that agreed to the no trade clause in the first place. It’s not complicated. If the Cowboys want to retain Dak Prescott they need only meet his demands. If they don’t want to retain his services then they simply don’t meet his demands. It’s not personal to Dak Prescott. I’m sure Jerry doesn’t take it personally either. If Dak is not going to be the Cowboys’ quarterback now or in the future someone else will be.

blueblood70

Reaction score
We may not like it, but they build via the draft. They extend their in-house stars and draft low cost, controllable talent. Problem with that strategy, if you have 1 bad draft class, it sets you back, kind of like last year.
How do you know it set us back I mean it wasn't a great draft but I think they drafted mistakenly and they'll probably admit it now to add depth to the team because they thought they were set the fact is they've been consistent they've won 12 games three straight years and actually last year we were the second seed in the division winner which was more than the year before that means they were better last year then the year before technically I realize we got knocked out of the first round rather ugly but I don't think that had to do with the draft...

Although I get what you're saying I have to disagree because we don't know if it set us back I think that would be the remnants of what might go happened this year but some of those undrafted free agents and the draft picks from last year may end up playing a lot more this year than you think but typically you have to wait three years after each draft to see how it literally turned out...

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
He is most valuable as a free agent. He knows that. Todd France knows that. Not having to compensate the Cowboys to acquire Dak is the best case scenario for any team interested in signing him. Whatever he gets paid to play it will be more in free agency than otherwise. I’m sure the Cowboys understand the circumstances Dak’s agent has negotiated for him. The Cowboys are the ones that agreed to the no trade clause in the first place. It’s not complicated. If the Cowboys want to retain Dak Prescott they need only meet his demands. If they don’t want to retain his services then they simply don’t meet his demands. It’s not personal to Dak Prescott. I’m sure Jerry doesn’t take it personally either. If Dak is not going to be the Cowboys’ quarterback now or in the future someone else
The Cowboys agreed to this contract when they thought Dak was something he has now proven not to be. Capable of leading a NFL team to the Super Bowl or even beating a top 10 defense.

As time passes Dak will realize this team will not be as pocket friendly as he's used to and hanging around here will not raise his value.
The time for Dak to get a decent deal in terms of cash and longevity is this season and it's not going to be with the Cowboys.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I can't wait till opening day.
I cannot recall seeing the whole fanbase so absolutely clueless about the direction of this team.
Including myself.
But I love it, for once Jerry isn't dictating every move in advance.

My hunch from what I've gleaned?

If Trey looks good in preseason Dak will be talking to other teams.
IF Trey isn't ready, Dak will start until he fails and with this OL and schedule it won't be long.
Trey will finish looking strong or we finally DRAFT A QB.

Parsons will be disgruntled and traded for serious booty.

CEEDEE Will be signed first.
The only reason Lance would play anything other than cleanup would be if both Dak and Cooper get injured.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
The Cowboys agreed to this contract when they thought Dak was something he has now proven not to be. Capable of leading a NFL team to the Super Bowl or even beating a top 10 defense.

As time passes Dak will realize this team will not be as pocket friendly as he's used to and hanging around here will not raise his value.
The time for Dak to get a decent deal in terms of cash and longevity is this season and it's not going to be with the Cowboys.
I believe the Cowboys have decided they are not going to re-sign Dak Prescott. I believe Todd France has informed the Cowboys they will not agree to a trade. If the team is comfortable with Lance as their starting quarterback this season the only decision left for the Cowboys is release Dak Prescott immediately or keep him this season basically paying $29 million for a 3rd round comp draft choice in 2026. My guess is he’s either the Cowboys starting QB this season or he is released.