I hate Sci-Fi

Mannix

Reaction score
I am about to say something so sacrilegious to some of you, that you may come to hate and despise me the likes of Roger Goodell. I warned you...so here goes....I hate sci-fi....I just don't get it....it is weird to me....people who dress up and camp out overnight to see a sci-fi movie are weird to me....being beat over the head by the media every time a new Star Wars movie is about to release makes me want to vomit. I am 58....I have never watched one second of any Star Wars movie....I have never watched one second of any Star Trek TV episode.....I have never watched one second of any Super Heroes cartoon.....never read a Super Heroes cartoon magazine or owned an action figure. I have seen two sci-fi movies in my life.....#1 Logans Run....only because I was in small town North Dakota visiting my grandparents and was forced to take my young cousins....and #2 Close Encounters....which may not even be all that sci-fi to some of you. I will add that I also like the killers in my slasher movies to be real people....nothing make believe or a killer coming back to life....sorry, not realistic. Ok...am I alone here? Anyone else? Know anybody like me? I can take it!

RaZon

Reaction score
You start off reading the great sci fi authors like...

HG Wells
Isaac Asimov
Arthur C Clarke
Robert Heinlien

If you can't get into their books then it is a......just forget about it, just I do the opera and liver, ha!

Olaf Stapledons ODD JOHN a great sci fi read.

Odd John: A Story Between Jest and Earnest is a 1935 science fiction novel by the British author Olaf Stapledon. The novel explores the theme of the Übermensch (superman) in the character of John Wainwright, whose supernormal human mentality inevitably leads to conflict with normal human society and to the destruction of the utopian colony founded by John and other superhumans.

The novel resonates with the ideas of Friedrich Nietzsche and the work of English writer J. D. Beresford, with an allusion to Beresford's superhuman child character of Victor Stott in The Hampdenshire Wonder (1911). As the devoted narrator remarks, John does not feel obliged to observe the restricted morality of Homo sapiens. Stapledon's recurrent vision of cosmic angst – that the universe may be indifferent to intelligence, no matter how spiritually refined – also gives the story added depth. Later explorations of the theme of the superhuman and of the incompatibility of the normal with the supernormal occur in the works of Stanisław Lem, Frank Herbert, Wilmar Shiras, Robert Heinlein and Vernor Vinge, among others.

The book is mentioned by Julian May in Intervention, part of the Galactic Milieu Series. It is also responsible for coining the term "homo superior".[1][2]

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
May the farts be with you.

Uh-oh, you never watched any Star Wars. I do not consider Star Wars Sci-Fi, more fantasy like Harry Potter, Jurassic Park.

I am not a big sci-fi fan and barely watched any Trek TV episodes and none of the spinoff's but that's what makes the world go round, we can all be different.

Mannix

Reaction score
Basically, if something is make believe I have no interest in it....ESPECIALLY if something make believe is flying around or living anywhere higher than my eyes can see.

Mannix

Reaction score
May the farts be with you.

Uh-oh, you never watched any Star Wars. I do not consider Star Wars Sci-Fi, more fantasy like Harry Potter, Jurassic Park.

I am not a big sci-fi fan and barely watched any Trek TV episodes and none of the spinoff's but that's what makes the world go round, we can all be different.
------I do not consider Star Wars Sci-Fi

What....really??? it's in space...things fly around....hairy creatures.....lasers.....etc.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I am about to say something so sacrilegious to some of you, that you may come to hate and despise me the likes of Roger Goodell. I warned you...so here goes....I hate sci-fi....I just don't get it....it is weird to me....people who dress up and camp out overnight to see a sci-fi movie are weird to me....being beat over the head by the media every time a new Star Wars movie is about to release makes me want to vomit. I am 58....I have never watched one second of any Star Wars movie....I have never watched one second of any Star Trek TV episode.....I have never watched one second of any Super Heroes cartoon.....never read a Super Heroes cartoon magazine or owned an action figure. I have seen two sci-fi movies in my life.....#1 Logans Run....only because I was in small town North Dakota visiting my grandparents and was forced to take my young cousins....and #2 Close Encounters....which may not even be all that sci-fi to some of you. I will add that I also like the killers in my slasher movies to be real people....nothing make believe or a killer coming back to life....sorry, not realistic. Ok...am I alone here? Anyone else? Know anybody like me? I can take it!
Star Trek is the only thing you mentioned that I'd consider sci-fi. That said, the people who camp out to see movies are extreme. But I have to ask: How do you know you don't like it if you've never watched it?

Mannix

Reaction score
------How do you know you don't like it if you've never watched it?

Trust me....I know.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I'm really into anything sci-fi, but I understand it's not for everyone. I think it's much more popular now than ever, though. In the 70s, there was a nerd stigma attached to it. Much more mainstream since the turn of the century.
Since smart people stared getting rich. lol

Mannix

Reaction score
I’m the only person on planet earth that has never seen ET…I’m not even sure if that’s sci-fi

No you aren't good buddy!!! And I haven't seen Back To The Future either. I had no clue that Ghost Busters was going to have suspended reality, or there would have been NO WAY that I'd have seen that piece of crap movie.