I hate this NFL Playoff Rule

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I'm fine with the division winner making the playoffs. That's fine, and it's a good reward for winning the division. However, I hate the rule that they always host the first round because it allows a team with a 9-8 record or worse to host a playoff game over a team with a record that'd easily win any other division. I absolutely hate this rule.

What they should do is say, if you win the division, you automatically make the playoffs. However, the home games are determined by the records. If you have a division winner with a 9-8 record and a wild card team with a 12-5 record, the team with the 12-5 record should host because they were the better team during the season.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
I'm fine with the division winner making the playoffs. That's fine, and it's a good reward for winning the division. However, I hate the rule that they always host the first round because it allows a team with a 9-8 record or worse to host a playoff game over a team with a record that'd easily win any other division. I absolutely hate this rule.

What they should do is say, if you win the division, you automatically make the playoffs. However, the home games are determined by the records. If you have a division winner with a 9-8 record and a wild card team with a 12-5 record, the team with the 12-5 record should host because they were the better team during the season.
Exactly. The fact that whoever wins the NFC South gets to host a playoff game is ridiculous. Make them go on the road. The NFL needs to stop rewarding mediocrity.

dargonking999

DKRandom
Reaction score

Yall will soon realize that the NFL does not care about what's fair according to the fans but what makes them money. Nfl teams will not give up guaranteed money because a wild card team had a better record. Esp since having a better record doesn't mean you're the better team.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Been this way forever.
And has been discussed forever on here as well.

Why do people always want to change things mist to change things.

If you want to go by records then get rid of the divisions which then get rid of the rivalries.
Let them tear it all down and start over. Don’t even have conferences. Add two playoff teams why we are at it.
Top 16 makes of, and set up as a tournament, as in March madness.

SuperBowlz

Reaction score
Exactly. The fact that whoever wins the NFC South gets to host a playoff game is ridiculous. Make them go on the road. The NFL needs to stop rewarding mediocrity.
I think they keep that rule for the chance that Philly, Dallas, San Fran are hypothetically all in the same division. They are the best 3 teams in their conference and beat up on each other during the season and are rewarded for winning the division. All this was just hypothetical.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Been this way forever.
And has been discussed forever on here as well.

Why do people always want to change things mist to change things.

If you want to go by records then get rid of the divisions which then get rid of the rivalries.
Let them tear it all down and start over. Don’t even have conferences. Add two playoff teams why we are at it.
Top 16 makes of, and set up as a tournament, as in March madness.
What is wrong with a rule that no division winner with a losing record can host a playoff game?
And its a joke to whine about changes since everything else has been changed and I do not see you crying about that

madcow74

Reaction score
Divisions have to mean something. If they don't then why have them? Just lump everyone into one group and seed the playoffs based on records instead?
Love that. And until we do that in America things will never be fair. Premier league, everyone in one conference and play each other home and away.