I hate this NFL Playoff Rule

Ken

Reaction score
I'm fine with the division winner making the playoffs. That's fine, and it's a good reward for winning the division. However, I hate the rule that they always host the first round because it allows a team with a 9-8 record or worse to host a playoff game over a team with a record that'd easily win any other division. I absolutely hate this rule.

What they should do is say, if you win the division, you automatically make the playoffs. However, the home games are determined by the records. If you have a division winner with a 9-8 record and a wild card team with a 12-5 record, the team with the 12-5 record should host because they were the better team during the season.
Should just do straight seeding like the NBA does.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Should just do straight seeding like the NBA does.

I think the divisions are good for the rivalries, and this likely wouldn't affect many teams in most years. But the fact that the NFC South is the disaster that it routinely is makes the current rule ridiculous. That's why the 10 win rule should exist for hosting a playoff game as a division winner.

gtb1943

Reaction score
I think the divisions are good for the rivalries, and this likely wouldn't affect many teams in most years. But the fact that the NFC South is the disaster that it routinely is makes the current rule ridiculous. That's why the 10 win rule should exist for hosting a playoff game as a division winner.
Yeah, winning a really bad division should not be rewarded with a home playoff game

RFABR

Reaction score
Unlike other sports, you don't play every team every year (much less 2x each, home/away). Hence, divisions are relevant, and so rewarding it's winners.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Perhaps, but, if you have a 9-8 record or worse, you should not be hosting a playoff game imo.
But that’s the reward for winning your division and playing a wildcard team. It would really take away from division matchups and winning your division if they just went by your W/L record when determining who gets a home playoff game. It also keeps the games interesting near the end of the season when you have a division title up for grabs. I get your point, but I really don’t have a problem with it. If you win your division, you’re guaranteed at least one playoff game.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rules are changed every year in the NFL

somehow that does not get through to you
therefore you have a limited grasp on reality
What in the hell is your problem. You want to really keep up the insults?

Yes rules are changed…for on the field….not playoff positions. Unless it is the number of teams making the playoffs.

Does that make sense in YOUR REALITY?.

gtb1943

Reaction score
What in the hell is your problem. You want to really keep up the insults?

Yes rules are changed…for on the field….not playoff positions. Unless it is the number of teams making the playoffs.

Does that make sense in YOUR REALITY?.
2020 NFL changed the playoffs by adding two more teams.
So why in your special little world is it so hard to conceive of another change that says no division winner can host a playoff game if they have a losing record?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
But that’s the reward for winning your division and playing a wildcard team. It would really take away from division matchups and winning your division if they just went by your W/L record when determining who gets a home playoff game. It also keeps the games interesting near the end of the season when you have a division title up for grabs. I get your point, but I really don’t have a problem with it. If you win your division, you’re guaranteed at least one playoff game.

Yeah, I'm not disputing that they should be in the playoffs. They should get a playoff game for winning their division. But, if you have less than 10 wins, then that's your only reward lol.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not disputing that they should be in the playoffs. They should get a playoff game for winning their division. But, if you have less than 10 wins, then that's your only reward lol.
A home playoff game is a pretty nice reward for having only 9 wins. It’s difficult winning road playoff games. Fortunately, we were able to do it against Tampa last season. They weren’t a very good team, but played in a weak division

beacamdim

Reaction score
I'm fine with the division winner making the playoffs. That's fine, and it's a good reward for winning the division. However, I hate the rule that they always host the first round because it allows a team with a 9-8 record or worse to host a playoff game over a team with a record that'd easily win any other division. I absolutely hate this rule.

What they should do is say, if you win the division, you automatically make the playoffs. However, the home games are determined by the records. If you have a division winner with a 9-8 record and a wild card team with a 12-5 record, the team with the 12-5 record should host because they were the better team during the season.
If the division winner that hosts is not good enough to deserve hosting, then it shouldn't matter.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
2020 NFL changed the playoffs by adding two more teams.
So why in your special little world is it so hard to conceive of another change that says no division winner can host a playoff game if they have a losing record?
:lmao: You something else.
You really don’t read others posts, or you can’t comprehend.
Keep up the snide insults.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
A home playoff game is pretty nice reward for having only 9 wins. It’s difficult winning road playoff games. Fortunately, we were able to do it against Tampa last season. They weren’t a very good team, but played in a weak division

Right, and I'm quite confident that we will beat Atlanta or New Orleans. My point is that it creates a problem because it's a mediocre way to award a home playoff game lol. Plus, it means we would have to go cross country again lol.