I hate this NFL Playoff Rule

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What is wrong with a rule that no division winner with a losing record can host a playoff game?
And its a joke to whine about changes since everything else has been changed and I do not see you crying about that
There is nothing to whine about from my point of view. Rules are set, and that is it. Live with it.

I AM NOT WHINING.

And what is wrong with that rule…there is no rule, the rule is division winners get the home game.
i am not the one crying here.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The schedule is set up that way.

If they didn’t honor division play they would need to redo the entire scheduling formula and give up long time rivalries which they aren’t going to do.

Anomalies happen and divisions are up and down.

Ours is currently both. Two awful teams and one that’s the best in the league. We had our shot and blew it. Now we will have to actually perform in the postseason to make things happen. Imagine that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I'm fine with the division winner making the playoffs. That's fine, and it's a good reward for winning the division. However, I hate the rule that they always host the first round because it allows a team with a 9-8 record or worse to host a playoff game over a team with a record that'd easily win any other division. I absolutely hate this rule.

What they should do is say, if you win the division, you automatically make the playoffs. However, the home games are determined by the records. If you have a division winner with a 9-8 record and a wild card team with a 12-5 record, the team with the 12-5 record should host because they were the better team during the season.
There has to be a bigger reward for winning your division than being a wildcard despite your record. It wouldn’t be as interesting or exciting if everything was based strictly on your W/L record. You want winning your division to provide an advantage over a team that didn’t win their division. Some years certain divisions will be up, and some years certain divisions will be down.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
There has to be a bigger reward for winning your division than being a wildcard despite your record. It wouldn’t be as interesting or exciting
if everything was based strictly on your W/L record.

Perhaps, but, if you have a 9-8 record or worse, you should not be hosting a playoff game imo.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I'm fine with the division winner making the playoffs. That's fine, and it's a good reward for winning the division. However, I hate the rule that they always host the first round because it allows a team with a 9-8 record or worse to host a playoff game over a team with a record that'd easily win any other division. I absolutely hate this rule.

What they should do is say, if you win the division, you automatically make the playoffs. However, the home games are determined by the records. If you have a division winner with a 9-8 record and a wild card team with a 12-5 record, the team with the 12-5 record should host because they were the better team during the season.
What would otherwise be the point in having divisions? Each NFL team must play the three teams in their division twice each season. They never play any team outside of their division twice in a regular season. The only significance of having divisions is winning it gives you a home playoff game. If you have a better (albeit reasonable) system, share it with us. The Cowboys once had the opportunity to not be in the NFC East. They declined. They should be in the NFC South. They are not, and no way Jerry would entertain leaving a division with three NFL “blue bloods”.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yall will soon realize that the NFL does not care about what's fair according to the fans but what makes them money. Nfl teams will not give up guaranteed money because a wild card team had a better record. Esp since having a better record doesn't mean you're the better team.

It's more of the fact that the current rule prompts the mediocrity that is the NFC South.

catskillthunder

Reaction score
If the NFC South winner finished 8-9 or 9-8 and Dallas finishes 14-3 and they lost to that team, does Dallas really deserve to be in the playoffs at all? You need to take care of business no matter where and who you play.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
What would otherwise be the point in having divisions? Each NFL team must play the three teams in their division twice each season. They never play any team outside of their division twice in a regular season. The only significance of having divisions is winning it gives you a home playoff game. If you have a better (albeit reasonable) system, share it with us. The Cowboys once had the opportunity to not be in the NFC East. They declined. They should be in the NFC South. They are not, and no way Jerry would entertain leaving a division with three NFL “blue bloods”.

Sure, i suppose if you have won your division with a 10+ win season, then sure, host a playoff game, but if you win it with least than 10 wins, you do not host a home game.

gtb1943

Reaction score
There is nothing to whine about from my point of view. Rules are set, and that is it. Live with it.

I AM NOT WHINING.

And what is wrong with that rule…there is no rule, the rule is division winners get the home game.
i am not the one crying here.
You need more cheese.

And yes you were crying and its kind of funny

RULES ARE SET

what a laugh

and what a pathetic response

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
If the NFC South winner finished 8-9 or 9-8 and Dallas finishes 14-3 and they lost to that team, does Dallas really deserve to be in the playoffs at all? You need to take care of business no matter where and who you play.

I agree, but it also is true that it creates a problem where we win a game in Atlanta, then have to go to SFO the next week.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Something tells me this wouldn't be a topic at all if it was US with the 2 game lead.

And ohhh lawdy, if it was US with the lead...and NY or Philly were 2 games back, and someone saw a fan of that team crying about it on their Message board, saying they deserved a Home game despite not winning the devision, how quickly would it be posted in here, calling them sour grapes and whiners? Can't stand the hypocrisy.

Toughen up.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You need more cheese.

And yes you were crying and its kind of funny

RULES ARE SET

what a laugh

and what a pathetic response
My response is correct. The only thing pathetic is you just want to give me a hard time for being correct.

gtb1943

Reaction score
Something tells me this wouldn't be a topic at all if it was US with the 2 game lead.

And ohhh lawdy, if it was US with the lead...and NY or Philly were 2 games back, and someone saw a fan of that team crying about it on their Message board, saying they deserved a Home game despite not winning the devision, how quickly would it be posted in here, calling them sour grapes and whiners? Can't stand the hypocrisy.

Toughen up.
This has been brought up before without any cowboys involvement here on the board so dry up and blow away.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Eh I’m fine with Division winners making the playoffs and hosting.

I will say that Division winners should have to be above .500 to host though.

I'd say at least they have to win 10+ games. Especially given the 17 game season, so, they should have it to where, if you win 10+ games, you get a home playoff game for winning your division. If you won your division with less than 10 wins, then you're on the road.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I will settle for no division winner that does not have a winning record not hosting a game.

Winning a pathetic division should not be rewarded

I'd be with that if it weren't for the 17 game season lol. So, that's why I think it should be 10+ wins to host as a division winner. If it's 9 or less, then that's mediocre and that team doesn't deserve to host a playoff game.