I hate this NFL Playoff Rule

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Rules are changed every year in the NFL

somehow that does not get through to you
therefore you have a limited grasp on reality
Yeah but from outsiders perspective....in our heyday 3 decades ago, when we were dominating the division, no Cowboys fans were talking about this. Yeah...I know....less divisions and playoff teams, but there was still a WildCard that a team with a better record could be forced to play an away game at a team (division winner) with a lesser record.

I know there were no message boards when we were actually winning playoff games back then in the good ole days in the 1900's (because there was no Internet back then)....but still, I saw no telegrams or telegraphs; faxes or newspaper articles from Dallas beating the drum for that cause back then.

From an outsiders perspective... it seems that's become "important to us" now that it affects us. Now that we are actually a Wild Card team when we make the playoffs

Hmmmmm. But we're all insiders...so who cares?

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Sure, i suppose if you have won your division with a 10+ win season, then sure, host a playoff game, but if you win it with least than 10 wins, you do not host a home game.
What if you’re in an exceedingly tough division. I’m all for dumping divisions, but if you’re going to have them there should at least be a reason. Every team knows well in advance six of their 17 games are going to be against. First build a team that can at least win your division.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I have no issue with this rule. Either division winners make up the seeding or scrap the entire thing and go with the NBA with just records make up the seeds.

Can't have it both ways. It's one or the other

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Right, and I'm quite confident that we will beat Atlanta or New Orleans. My point is that it creates a problem because it's a mediocre way to award a home playoff game lol. Plus, it means we would have to go cross country again lol.
In 2008, New England missed the playoffs with an 11-5 record. Hard to believe they couldn’t even get a wildcard with that record. That’s another reason why the goal is to win your division.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Something tells me this wouldn't be a topic at all if it was US with the 2 game lead.

And ohhh lawdy, if it was US with the lead...and NY or Philly were 2 games back, and someone saw a fan of that team crying about it on their Message board, saying they deserved a Home game despite not winning the devision, how quickly would it be posted in here, calling them sour grapes and whiners? Can't stand the hypocrisy.

Toughen up.
No way. If the Cowboys were 10-1 and in first place in their division every Cowboys fan, every, would be making the same argument.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not disputing that they should be in the playoffs. They should get a playoff game for winning their division. But, if you have less than 10 wins, then that's your only reward lol.
Yeah, I'm not disputing that they should be in the playoffs. They should get a playoff game for winning their division. But, if you have less than 10 wins, then that's your only reward lol.
The owners have the power to enact your plan. If they don’t it’s because not enough of them want it changed. In deference to the NFL, there are people who follow it, people who play in it, and people that own it. Guess which group gets to decide qualifying for the playoffs.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
People whine regardless how teams are seeded. People used to complain because the 49ers and Patriots were in crappy divisions and racked up the wins and easily got home filed advantage.

Mark

Reaction score
The current NFL playoff structure is a lot like the NCAA basketball tournament...and American life in general. The emphasis being much more on diversity than talent.

By design, in neither tourney are all the best teams represented.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
I'm fine with the division winner making the playoffs. That's fine, and it's a good reward for winning the division. However, I hate the rule that they always host the first round because it allows a team with a 9-8 record or worse to host a playoff game over a team with a record that'd easily win any other division. I absolutely hate this rule.

What they should do is say, if you win the division, you automatically make the playoffs. However, the home games are determined by the records. If you have a division winner with a 9-8 record and a wild card team with a 12-5 record, the team with the 12-5 record should host because they were the better team during the season.
This is to much common sense for the NFL.

Just like every play should be reviewable, from the both. The refs on the field, should never look at a screen to decide a call. A ref upstairs calls down to the ref on the field to report the correct call. Obvious mistakes should be fixed and sometimes they are not! Dumb!!

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
People whine regardless how teams are seeded. People used to complain because the 49ers and Patriots were in crappy divisions and racked up the wins and easily got home filed advantage.
This is not whining! It’s common sense! A 8-9 team should never get a home game in the playoffs vs a 12-5 team. This is a legitimate complaint.

Captain43Crash

Reaction score
Would this even be a topic if Dallas hadn't crapped the bed in Phoenix or failed to capitalize on a 1st and goal from the 6 in Philthy?
It’s a discussion almost every year regardless of our record.
It is completely stupid to have a 4 team division winner with a 8-9 record host a 12-5 or 13-4.

With only 4 teams in 8 different divisions it is very likely one of the divisions will not have any teams over 500. Of course, let the mediocre team in the playoffs, but don’t give them a home playoff game vs a team that one more games. Winning more games should be more important than being the best team in a crappy division.

Most logical fans understand this!

Common sense is not very common any more.

See Biological boys beating up on girls in sports.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
It’s a discussion almost every year regardless of our record.
It is completely stupid to have a 4 team division winner with a 8-9 record host a 12-5 or 13-4.

With only 4 teams in 8 different divisions it is very likely one of the divisions will not have any teams over 500. Of course, let the mediocre team in the playoffs, but don’t give them a home playoff game vs a team that one more games. Winning more games should be more important than being the best team in a crappy division.

Most logical fans understand this!

Common sense is not very common any more.

See Biological boys beating up on girls in sports.
Says every second place NFL team…ever. No one has to follow the NFL.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
I'm fine with the division winner making the playoffs. That's fine, and it's a good reward for winning the division. However, I hate the rule that they always host the first round because it allows a team with a 9-8 record or worse to host a playoff game over a team with a record that'd easily win any other division. I absolutely hate this rule.

What they should do is say, if you win the division, you automatically make the playoffs. However, the home games are determined by the records. If you have a division winner with a 9-8 record and a wild card team with a 12-5 record, the team with the 12-5 record should host because they were the better team during the season.
I tend to agree with you rusty.