I just don't understand why Chaz Green is still the starter at LG

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
I don't think Chaz needs to be cut, I just think they need to quit trying to make the square peg fit into the round hole. He is NOT an NFL guard. There is not a sin in that. He is better as a tackle than he will ever be as a guard. Leave him as the swing tackle, put Cooper in at Guard and be done with it.

Draft position shouldn't make a difference....you either can play or you can't .

The other thing is it shouldn't take all first rounders to make a good OL. And let's be real, Collins was a first rounder skill wise. Other teams survive with maybe one or two first rounders and then piece the rest together.
I've said it before, instead of fixing one hole in the OL, they decided to try to fix two. Collins was ahead of Leary until he got injured, he should of come back at LG. Green was drafted as a swing tackle and to take over when Free was done. But for some reason, they decided to fix 2 spots and messed both of them up.

pitt33

Reaction score
They both are jags.......this team really botched the oline, took what was the heart and sole of this team and totally botched it.

Nice work
A lot of fans feel your frustration.

There was no way they were going to ink Leary to another contract as they have yet to sign Zack long term. Leary was a real key to that line play last season and was bound to make out well on the free agent market. And besides, they spent a 3rd round pick on Green.

Echo9

Erik_H
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Cowboys Break and Talkin Cowboys have both stated more than once in the past week and a half that Cooper is the "starter going forward." It's been decided and is no longer a debate. Why are people saying otherwise?

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
this team really botched the oline, took what was the heart and sole of this team and totally botched it.
The heart and soul of the OL has always been Tyron, Fredbeard and Martin.

Collins has been a suitable replacement for Free BTW.

The problem continues to be on the defensive side of the ball.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
They both are jags.......this team really botched the oline, took what was the heart and sole of this team and totally botched it.

Nice work

I have a little more patience with this.

It's a big adjustment for a player to go from playing the left side of the O-Line to the right tackle spot. Hell, Tyron struggled for a while when he first became the LT. And we saw the issues that Free had when he switched to LT then went back to RT. But after time they both improved dramatically when we got them in their best position. I think Collins has the size and athleticism to play the RT spot and he has showed some progress the past 3 weeks. And there was nothing we could do with Free retiring and if Collins doesn't move to RT, that means Green is the RT and he can't stay healthy.

As far as LG, Green is certainly decent and Cooper has been very good in the run game.

One of the hidden issues with the blocking is that this scheme is very reliant on the TE's being able to block and Witten and Hanna have not done a good job. In fact, we did away with the 12 personnel in the GB game and went to 21 personnel and the running game finally took off.

I think Collins can progress just like Tyron and Free did when they stuck to 1 spot. And I don't think the LG spot has been a problem for us. I'm really more concerned about the TE blocking than anything.

YR

Sydla

Reaction score
Cowboys Break and Talkin Cowboys have both stated more than once in the past week and a half that Cooper is the "starter going forward." It's been decided and is no longer a debate. Why are people saying otherwise?

Because the Cowboys released their depth chart for the game and Green is listed with the first team. Technically it's an unofficial depth chart but why would the Cowboys even bother listing Green with the 1st team?

Last edited:

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
So Jerry walks in and says who plays week per week? "Old boy starts at so and so because I walked in and said so."
That's what you're saying?
Jerry Jones is a figurehead if you believe what some people say.

Substitute Stephen Jones if you want.

And you are really kidding yourself if you believe that salary and organizational saving face does not bleed down to practice work and even game time decisions.

"Competition" is something that sounds nice coming out but it is not always practiced.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The diehards will disagree but this offseason really was just a huge miss by the front office. They seemed to have cushioned a complete tumble into the abyss by having drafted Lewis, Awuzie and Woods, who appear to all be capable of playing. But they whiffed on Heath. They whiffed on Green at LG and LG in general. They whiffed on Carroll. They knew they had some depth issues at LB and did nothing. They knew they had some issues at the 1 tech and are biting on it now.

Just a really disappointing offseason from a team that went 13-3 and was likely one Byron Jones knocked pass from maybe winning in OT and making the NFC Title game.

Cheapness and stupidity ruled the offseason.

Virtually every choice they had to make ended up being wrong. That takes work.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because the Cowboys released their depth chart for the game and Green is listed with the first team. Technically it's an unofficial depth chart but why would the Cowboys even bother listing Green with the 1st team?

I dont think that's accurate.

Also, I hope that's not accurate.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I've said it before, instead of fixing one hole in the OL, they decided to try to fix two. Collins was ahead of Leary until he got injured, he should of come back at LG. Green was drafted as a swing tackle and to take over when Free was done. But for some reason, they decided to fix 2 spots and messed both of them up.
I would agree, but they were not going to pay Leary what he got from Denver. Whether you want to believe that was on principle or simple cap economics, it simply was not happening.

Free retired, so that forced part of the issue itself.

They had to shuffle. Mainly because Green is an unreliable loser. And they are still playing a game because that player cannot be depended upon, yet they actually put themselves in a position that made that necessary.

Sydla

Reaction score
I dont think that's accurate.

Also, I hope that's not accurate.

Maybe but it seems like a few in the media were saying the same thing.............. that what is there was the depth chart given out this week by the Cowboys. It has all the other changes we expected - Hitchens for Smith, etc.

Maybe it's a typo but frankly, it would not surprise me at all.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
Jerry Jones is a figurehead if you believe what some people say.

Substitute Stephen Jones if you want.

And you are really kidding yourself if you believe that salary and organizational saving face does not bleed down to practice work and even game time decisions.

"Competition" is something that sounds nice coming out but it is not always practiced.
I just love appreciating you answering my sometimes ridiculous (and sometimes baiting) questions.
You are an attraction I would wait in line like a kid wanting to ride Space Mountain.

I hope you appreciate my meandering compliment, but I know you already appreciate my adoration of your presence upon this site already. I've made no question of it.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would agree, but they were not going to pay Leary what he got from Denver. Whether you want to believe that was on principle or simple cap economics, it simply was not happening.

Free retired, so that forced part of the issue itself.

They had to shuffle. Mainly because Green is an unreliable loser. And they are still playing a game because that player cannot be depended upon, yet they actually put themselves in a position that made that necessary.

That's the part that sickens me the most.

They signed up for this by bothering to have Green compete for any starting position at all, much less guard.

When a guy who gets hurt all the time gets hurt, nobody has the right to feel surprised. It's what you signed up for. He is who he is, and they knew it.

Use him for what he is for the rest of his rookie contract and draft a replacement. You missed on this one.

Green is like glass, so treat him that way. In case of emergency, break glass.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Maybe but it seems like a few in the media were saying the same thing.............. that what is there was the depth chart given out this week by the Cowboys. It has all the other changes we expected - Hitchens for Smith, etc.

Maybe it's a typo but frankly, it would not surprise me at all.

"Surprise"? No. Disappoint terribly? Most assuredly.

:thumbdown:

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I just don't understand why Chaz Green is still the starter at LG.

His primary competition is a former first round pick who flopped, and eventually came to the Cowboys after the Browns - the Browns - gave up on him.

That's why.