I just don't understand why Chaz Green is still the starter at LG

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
I just love appreciating you answering my sometimes ridiculous (and sometimes baiting) questions.
You are an attraction I would wait in line like a kid wanting to ride Space Mountain.

I hope you appreciate my meandering compliment, but I know you already appreciate my adoration of your presence upon this site already. I've made no question of it.
Your response made me uncomfortable.

I would have appreciated more of an aggressive response to my organizational slander.

Alexander

Reaction score
"Surprise"? No. Disappoint terribly? Most assuredly.

:thumbdown:
What would be disappointing, Hitchens over Smith?

I can't say that would be disappointing. Smith has played horribly, despite being a feel good story.

The fact that Hitchens who still looks gimpy would send him to the bench is a little scary actually.

Sydla

Reaction score

I can't say that would be disappointing. Smith has played horribly, despite being a feel good story.

The fact that Hitchens who still looks gimpy would send him to the bench is a little scary actually.

Green over Cooper, I believe.

Proximo

Reaction score
Cowboys Break and Talkin Cowboys have both stated more than once in the past week and a half that Cooper is the "starter going forward." It's been decided and is no longer a debate. Why are people saying otherwise?

Yea I thought this too.

People keep referencing that tweet with the pic of the depth chart but I don't know how accurate that is.

I seem to recall quotes after the last game indicating that Cooper had won the job, basically. My memory could he wrong though.

We'll find out soon enough anyhow.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I dont think that's accurate.

Also, I hope that's not accurate.

It *does* say UNOFFICIAL in the title.

To the thread topic, Cooper is starting, and has been the defacto starter since Green's bursits flared up the Friday before the Rams game. It's been pretty obvious, to hear Garrett talk about that topic in the press conferences.

The other issue is that Tyron's back is acting up, and Green's the choice for his replacement in a pinch, so they're practicing with Green in that capacity and as a backup to Cooper. And that's probably going to be the fact of the matter the rest of the way, since Smith's back isn't going to magically heal in-season.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
I just don't understand why Chaz Green is still the starter at LG. The line play has been sloppy because there is no consistency with Green in the lineup one week Cooper in the lineup the next week. I know some will say it's because Green is better, the best way to get consistency is to play the player who is health and available each week (Cooper). The Oline will continue to struggle because of this constant changing, go with the dependable player and let the Oline gel. Hopefully Green will this time stay healthy.

Green hasn't been the issue with the line. Neither has Cooper. It's easy to scapegoat them, but there was a game or two where Frederick did not play well and Tyron has struggled because of his back. Collins also isn't as strong of a run blocker as Free was.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
So I asked for your creeping?

Eh. I guess I can understand that.

I am quite charming.
No argument from the peanut gallery.
I look forward to my main man's thoughts and emotes that you decide to release on a regularly regular basis.
Everything has stuck to schedule every step of the way for the past several years. Even the one, or two that I was away.

Mucho appreciatado for the normalcy.

canters

Reaction score
He hurt a fat roll today and is questionable with hurt feelings.

Alexander

Reaction score
Green hasn't been the issue with the line. Neither has Cooper. It's easy to scapegoat them, but there was a game or two where Frederick did not play well and Tyron has struggled because of his back. Collins also isn't as strong of a run blocker as Free was.
Not discounting all five have had their own level of issues, but the core concern is that we lost a damn fine player in Leary.

He was a lot better than most gave him credit for.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Green over Cooper.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
The diehards will disagree but this offseason really was just a huge miss by the front office. They seemed to have cushioned a complete tumble into the abyss by having drafted Lewis, Awuzie and Woods, who appear to all be capable of playing. But they whiffed on Heath. They whiffed on Green at LG and LG in general. They whiffed on Carroll. They knew they had some depth issues at LB and did nothing. They knew they had some issues at the 1 tech and are biting on it now.

Just a really disappointing offseason from a team that went 13-3 and was likely one Byron Jones knocked pass from maybe winning in OT and making the NFC Title game.

Cheapness and stupidity ruled the offseason.

I usually try to give them the benefit of the doubt and refuse to do the hindsight things.

Like people that look back and say we should have just resigned Murray and now we would have Murray and maybe Ramsey.

Or that we should have resigned Church, or Carr, or Claiborne, etc.....when there really wasn't much disappointment here when none of those things happened. Most were like good riddance or at least felt that they weren't worth the money they got paid. I liked Church but wasn't that upset over it. Few were.

Not signing McClain...there was no rueing when it happened but it really seems like he was a lot more important than anyone realized. If we could go back in time this is the one I would do, along with the resigning of Leary. I think I could pretty much deal with the rest.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
The bigger picture in this whole thing is Tyron’s bad back. Dude has to get that thing fixed this offseason or he is not long for this league

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Not discounting all five have had their own level of issues, but the core concern is that we lost a damn fine player in Leary.

He was a lot better than most gave him credit for.

I think Leary really was the hard one. I remember there being pretty significant support on both sides. I don't think anyone thought he wasn't a good player, just whether we could afford to put that much money into the line, especially with Martin and Collins also soon to be paid. In hindsight, yeah, we probably should have found a way. Could have let Williams walk and allowed that money to go towards Leary. Would have been better off and we had plenty of cheap WR's in camp.

Keeping Thornton over McClain really has turned out to be a cluster.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Cooper is average to bad, and Green isn't a guard. Doesn't matter who you start, you'll get the near same result.

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
It is a status thing. It takes a lot for a "starter" to get benched in Dallas.

That is part of the issue with this team, pecking order is often established based on draft status and contract size.
I mean....this isn't true at all.

You don't have to look far for an example....see Romo, Tony

Last edited:

renny

Reaction score
Cowboys Break and Talkin Cowboys have both stated more than once in the past week and a half that Cooper is the "starter going forward." It's been decided and is no longer a debate. Why are people saying otherwise?
Cowboys Week 7 depth chart shows lack of situational awareness | Aaron Carney, Cowboys Wire
The Cowboys posted a new depth chart while waiting for the outcome of the Elliott hearing on Tuesday, and there were some headscratching things there, such as this.

Staying on the offensive side of the ball, the team listed Chaz Green as the starter at left guard over Jonathan Cooper now that Green is fully healthy from a hip injury he sustained a few weeks ago. Yet Cooper has been much more effective as the starter, scoring a 77.9 from Pro Football Focus against Green Bay, and would likely fair much better against 49ers defensive tackle DeForest Buckner who has been a monster since entering the league in 2016. With the Cowboys entering desperation mode and facing a get-right game against San Francisco, Green will likely be on a short leash.