I like what i saw from Lance

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
Hey....if you like what you see in Lance, how about me?

Yeah!!! Sure! You haven't seen ME playing QB in any NFL games. In fact...I've never even thrown an INT in the NFL. Never in college either! Can Caleb Williams say that?

So with zero negative tape as a QB, why not make TheGreatCowboysLakersBamaFan the starting QB of the cowboys?

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Hey....if you like what you see in Lance, how about me?

Yeah!!! Sure! You haven't seen ME playing QB in any NFL games. In fact...I've never even thrown an INT in the NFL. Never in college either! Can Caleb Williams say that?

So with zero negative tape as a QB, why not make TheGreatCowboysLakersBamaFan the starting QB of the cowboys?
Did you even read my post ?

I dont even dare to ask if you understand what i wrote.

Last edited:

TwentyOne

Reaction score
He was wildly inaccurate. Horrible.

The tools are there for sure, but he throws like he's blindfolded.
Sorry erod but thats just rubbish.

He wasnt on point with a lot of his throws. Main problem was that he overthrows receivers. But i cant take you serious if you say that he was wildly inaccurate.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
He maybe faced with another tough decision. Go get experience in the UFL or take more money on another NFL team taking a risk on him next year.
Lets first see how he works out here with us and not be all doom and gloom.

As i said i like what i saw from him in the first ps game. I gave some arguments for my view so you can pin it down.

Lets see how he develops from here.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Sorry erod but thats just rubbish.

He wasnt on point with a lot of his throws. Main problem was that he overthrows receivers. But i cant take you serious if you say that he was wildly inaccurate.
I will take those overthrows easier than under throwing.

Dak has sometimes had a problem throwing AT receivers instead of where they will be. I believe this is what Lance is working on.

Painful at first...but if you can learn it...master it...reward is great.

Canadian BoyzFan

Reaction score
I also thought he was decent.

I would rather an over throw, than an under thrown ball that defender picks. His misses were ok misses.

Love his scrambling and run ability. Saw a few nice throws with good zip.

My biggest complaint was…in the NFL you QB with your eyes and by seeing and anticipating which guy is open. That comes from understanding every route and adjustment your players can/will make, then recognizing what the defense is doing. Then thirdly letting it rip.

The second he faces pressure he losses his eyes and he stops looking downfield. Very simply - if you can’t see it - you can’t throw it.

He needs a ton of work and reps.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I will take those overthrows easier than under throwing.

Dak has sometimes had a problem throwing AT receivers instead of where they will be. I believe this is what Lance is working on.

Painful at first...but if you can learn it...master it...reward is great.
Yes. Thanks for your that.

Thats what i wrote also. Right now it does not bother me. If he has the problem still in half a year i will think differently.

To me overthrowing has not so much to do with inaccuracy. Throwing constantly in the back of a receiver has. Especially on crossing routes.

JBS

Reaction score
If you look at it from the perspective of a player who was the third overall pick and the potential savior of the Dallas Cowboys after Dak gets that Vegas money, it was a very disconcerting performance.

If you look at from the perspective of a player whose previous team had immediate buyers remorse as he fell from grace in only 2 years, being dealt for a single fourth round pick… it went about as expected.

However, you can also choose to look at it from the perspective of a player with such limited football acumen that he may not even be in the league in 3 years… and in that case the dude played awesome.

OP’s takeaway: You have the choice of whether or not you were disappointed by that game.
There is absolutely no perspective that exists in which he played awesome

If it was special Olympics football and he had 0 arms and the threw for 188 yards on 40+ attempts it still wouldn’t be an awesome performance

TwentyOne

Reaction score
I also thought he was decent.

I would rather an over throw, than an under thrown ball that defender picks. His misses were ok misses.

Love his scrambling and run ability. Saw a few nice throws with good zip.

My biggest complaint was…in the NFL you QB with your eyes and by seeing and anticipating which guy is open. That comes from understanding every route and adjustment your players can/will make, then recognizing what the defense is doing. Then thirdly letting it rip.

The second he faces pressure he losses his eyes and he stops looking downfield. Very simply - if you can’t see it - you can’t throw it.

He needs a ton of work and reps.
Yes.

You could sense he has a lot to think during the plays. Everything looked like slow mo. The game is still too fast for him. But that was to be expected with his experience.

But that is nothing that concerns me right now. That hopefully will change with more playing experience. But the rest that he showed really exited me.

He throws the ball so naturally. With such an ease. but his balls have so much zip. I didnt see that in a qb in a long time. And i mean qbs in common. e

Reminds me a bit of Warren Moon, who imo threw one of the nicest looking spirals. Had not so much zip on it.

TwentyOne

Reaction score

If it was special Olympics football and he had 0 arms and the threw for 188 yards on 40+ attempts it still wouldn’t be an awesome performance
Please give us examples to prove what you just stated.

play, time in the ps game.

Flamma

Reaction score
Lets first see how he works out here with us and not be all doom and gloom.

As i said i like what i saw from him in the first ps game. I gave some arguments for my view so you can pin it down.

Lets see how he develops from here.
How? He's got two preseason games left. Unless they let Dak walk, we'll probably not see him again.

I know he hasn't played much. This is his first live action since whenever. I've said as much. But other QBs have done it. They sit behind the starter for a year, or a few years, then come right in. Not as often now as in the past, but on occasion.

If you're going to say these other QBs had more playing time in college and high school, then Lance should have been a late 5th or 6th round pick. Not a first round talent. I'm hoping he does very well in the next two games. Just for his sake. He's auditioning for 31 other teams.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Did someone say that? I must have missed it.

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How? He's got two preseason games left. Unless they let Dak walk, we'll probably not see him again.

I know he hasn't played much. This is his first live action since whenever. I've said as much. But other QBs have done it. They sit behind the starter for a year, or a few years, then come right in. Not as often now as in the past, but on occasion.

If you're going to say these other QBs had more playing time in college and high school, then Lance should have been a late 5th or 6th round pick. Not a first round talent. I'm hoping he does very well in the next two games. Just for his sake. He's auditioning for 31 other teams.
So that about where we got him. You gonna quibble over one round?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well it is hard to take you serious since your avatar is rowdy lol.
But I watched it live, and he wasnt bad, he just wasnt great.
It is all about expectations. Mine were realistic, and you and others, were off in fantasy land or something.

Here is another argument I will shoot down.
Many of you have said if shanahan gave up on him, and (Shan is a off genius) then that says trey must be awful.
Well if SF and shanny are so smart, why did they draft trey in the first place ?? Why did they give up 3 1sts to get him??

To me that makes shanny look like a moron and same for the SF front office, as that was the worst drafting ever ! The worst player
evaluation ever, and now you want me to believe that these same morons "know" he is bad ?? Uh no , I think I will do my own evaluation, and so should
the cowboys.
Also it isnt about taking over for dak, it is can he be a good bkup, or someday a starter? Also can he get good enough to warrant a trade where
dallas could get a pick back for him?
and if Shanny is a moron, then every coach, scout in NFL history is a moron because every single one of them has had a miss.

draft is a projection of what a player might be in the NFL. there is film study, etc. but its all opinion. the players play in different conferences, systems, Div I, Div II, etc. but once in the NFL, playing with and against players of their own calibur is when you truly can do assessment. every team and I mean every team has failed in draft in the first round and beyond. chances of a first rounder working out is much much higher than a 7th rounder. more talented. played in bigger schools usually. better physical ability, etc. so Shanny giving up on him was based on what he saw once he was in the NFL. practicing, studying NFL films and actual games he played. they wouldn't give up so quickly if they thought he had a chance to develop into what they thought he could be. having Purdy helped make their decision a little faster.

to say he was over drafted for his athleticism is an understatement. most coaches think they can take a physically talented player (something you really can't teach) and then teach them football. it ain't that easy. 4th year in the league and he wasn't bad....and he wasn't great....then he is what he is at this point. a mediocre player, who will never be elite and his ceiling is very low. why waste time? and I think the cowboys also saw that first hand. if they thought he had a real chance they would have picked up his 5th year option, which would only be 25M. that would put him in bottom half of the league in QB salary. the fact that they didn't pick it up tells you all you need to know.