I propose we flash mob the first game in protest

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Woody'sGirl, have any idea how they might factor in DVR's? Use to the Neison REatings were viewers who filled out a chart for a week on everything they watched. Not certain it's still done that way.

But i know there are a great many times I wait until the game is over before watching. I'd rather speed through the commercials.

So essentially someone could watch two events at the same time, although it would be later.

Any idea?
I honestly have no clue, dear TD3. Never understood the whole nielson rating thing. I grabbed those numbers from a couple of articles on DMN. Barry Horn is the sports media guy for them.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
There are an awful lot of people posting here if they are at the game.
Lol... I was in the chat room during the final Philly game. Didn't post a whole lot, because the stadium was rocking that day.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
Don't think it's gone down significantly.. It's down from 2011, but the past few years they've averaged a 29 rating which is about 750,000 homes from approx 900k+ homes. When you put out a mediocre product, people don't watch. That said, they're still the kings of DFW.

The Cowboys had a smaller rating in their local market than Cleveland and Buffalo in 2013. It's down a total of 12% from the 2011 numbers.

And how does a 29 share equate to 750,000 out of 900,000 homes?

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be down in the local markets. Seems they still pull a pretty good national average when they are the main draw of the day/night and let's not forget that there is also a growing block of viewers that watch the game over the internet that is not counted for in any ratings or counting measures that I know of right now.

Either way...it is a side argument that really does not matter much to what the main topic of the thread was.

Someone paying ticket prices to flash mob outside to garner attention to get Jerry to change his ways or hand over the team to another GM....in other words...fantasy island talk.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Cowboys had a smaller rating in their local market than Cleveland and Buffalo in 2013. It's down a total of 12% from the 2011 numbers.

And how does a 29 share equate to 750,000 out of 900,000 homes?
I don't see any numbers from 2013. I just went by what I saw from a couple of 2011/2012 articles.

Just saw this which matches your numbers -
According to the data, the local market average rating for the Cowboys in 2013 was 28.9, down 2 percent from 2012 and down 12 percent from 2011.
http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/2014/01/dallas-cowboys-local-tv-ratings-fall.html

from a previous search for 2013 -
The Cowboys finished the season averaging a 29.4 rating in Dallas-Fort Worth, down about 10 percent from 2011’s 32.8 average. If you think Jerry Jones doesn’t pay close attention to ratings, think again. …
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...-down-about-10-percent-from-last-season.html/

For 2012
The Cowboys are league leaders. Their television ratings in Dallas-Fort Worth are down 18 percent from a year ago. No other NFL team has seen such a drop in its hometown audience.

The average weekly rating is down from a 35.3 to 29.1. That’s approximately 907,700 homes to 753,100 homes.
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...s-biggest-hometown-viewership-drop-in-nfl.ece

I'm no math expert, but the 750k number seems to fit as an average.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Could be down in the local markets. Seems they still pull a pretty good national average when they are the main draw of the day/night and let's not forget that there is also a growing block of viewers that watch the game over the internet that is not counted for in any ratings or counting measures that I know of right now.

Either way...it is a side argument that really does not matter much to what the main topic of the thread was.

Someone paying ticket prices to flash mob outside to garner attention to get Jerry to change his ways or hand over the team to another GM....in other words...fantasy island talk.
And that's it in a nutshell..

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
The general theory is local ratings are usually ahead of national ratings for sports teams. If local interest begins to wane for a specific team, the national interest is not far behind. Pretty sure if you watch an NFL game legally over the internet, the NFL knows about it and can count those viewing households/ISPs.

Regardless, the NFL ratings overall are up through the roof. It's remarkable that in a ratings boom for the league, "America's Team" is losing viewership at home.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score
I don't see any numbers from 2013. I just went by what I saw from a couple of 2011/2012 articles.

Just saw this which matches your numbers - http://www.bizjournals.com/dallas/blog/2014/01/dallas-cowboys-local-tv-ratings-fall.html

from a previous search for 2013 -
http://cowboysblog.***BANNED-URL***...-down-about-10-percent-from-last-season.html/

For 2012
http://www.***BANNED-URL***/sports/...s-biggest-hometown-viewership-drop-in-nfl.ece

I'm no math expert, but the 750k number seems to fit as an average.

Ahh, I see what you're saying... The 750,000 viewing households reference was a decrease from 900k+ households in 2011. So 150,000 fewer households in the DFW market are watching. That's a pretty big decrease in 2 years. The link to that last article states, "biggest hometown viewership drop in NFL.

DallasCowboysRule!

Reaction score
This thread is disappointing. I was hoping that this was a plan for every fan in the stadium to rush the field in choreographed protest dance at exactly 3:53 left in the 1st quarter.

Blackspider214

Reaction score
Jerry won't care. As long as the tickets are sold, he'll just sit back with that grin of his, and marvel at the "entertainment".

True to a certain extent but tons of money is made on concessions and merchandise sold inside the stadium.

But I'm going to go out on a limb and say no one who buys tickets at those prices and pays for that ridiculous parking is going to not go inside to try and prove a point to someone worth $3 billion.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Gospel.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
lol.

It's been nearly ten hours and only three postings are ideas or references that might cause Jones' eyebrow to twitch. And two postings came from one poster.

That's what I always enjoy about these threads. They focus on either going after Jones' wallet, which has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding, or promote grandiose schemes, which...

Darn it. I used the snowball analogy already. :p

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
If we could actually pull that off, then yeah, it would have a huge effect. But if I pay what I'd have to pay for the tickets, I'm going in.

Small price to pay. Pay for tickets, don't use them. Jerry forced to make a move to get this team under real leadership.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Small price to pay. Pay for tickets, don't use them. Jerry forced to make a move to get this team under real leadership.

Big talk from a guy who doesn't buy tickets.

When you are on the hook for 4 seats and about 5 or 6 thousand dollars each year plus parking then you can take stance.

Aren't you thousands of miles away?

Apollo Creed

Stackin and Processin, Well
Reaction score
I'm down. Gonna give Ginger a Stone Cold Stunner and tell him to process that.