I think Al Harris is best option for DC

glimmerman

Reaction score
Get a real DC and give Harris assistant DC. Secondary coach to DC is a big jump…

dupree89

Reaction score
The Cowboys may be foolish to have a first-time play caller running the defense… as much as I like Al Harris and his work with the secondary. Harris could work - but Mike McCarthy is probably gonna want a DC with a track record at DC being that HE is on basically a one-year deal.
i was kinda thinking this way too.

Big D

Reaction score
I think Harris is the best option for DC. He’s not set in his ways yet and would understand the need to beef up the middle of the defense. Using what he learned from Quinn coupled with a new scheme featuring bigger LBs the transition could be seamless.
And his unit performed the best on the team. Jerry get the checkbook!

DallasBlockersClub

Reaction score
I think Harris is the best option for DC. He’s not set in his ways yet and would understand the need to beef up the middle of the defense. Using what he learned from Quinn coupled with a new scheme featuring bigger LBs the transition could be seamless.
Really? Our best option is someone who’s never called a defense?

dagreat1_87

Reaction score
I like Harris but I'm skeptical on him being DC with his lack of experience, which means it'll probably be him..All in baby!

Big D

Reaction score
The Cowboys may be foolish to have a first-time play caller running the defense… as much as I like Al Harris and his work with the secondary. Harris could work - but Mike McCarthy is probably gonna want a DC with a track record at DC being that HE is on basically a one-year deal.
As much as I agree with this I also believe that the game is about the players on the field and being able to relate to them. Harris wins in that dept IMO. Quinn won't have Micah to cover up the mistakes in Washington. If McClay can beef up our interior and bulk up at LB, Harris, or anyone for that matter, has a good chance of success.

This is Our Year

Ohama, Kill, 52 is the Mike
Reaction score
The thing that scares me a bit with Harris is I remember during one of the games them saying he doesn’t even have a scheme. He’s just a play with confidence guy. See ball make reax and ra-ra pump the guys up to play with confidence and swag. They said it during one of the broadcasts when Bland was getting all those pick 6’s. Had to be mid way during the season.

Not saying he wouldn’t be able to do that and obviously he played a while too, but not sure he’d make the best DC.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
No. Please no.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I like Harris a lot, but I admit that most of what I know about him is based on little clips in the Sounds from the Sidelines videos. That plus great play from the CBs suggest he could be a great coach, but that's certainly not enough evidence to make him a clear choice for a defensive coordinator.
And I suspect that most fans' opinions on him aren't based on much more.

Bagman

Reaction score
Harris is not going to be an option. There's no decision to make

The Natural

Reaction score
Harris is more of a technique coach for the DB's. He has next to no experience in devising schemes or coming up with gameplans to stop an entire offense.

In other words I want Harris to stay, but I don't think he's ready to be a DC yet.
At some point you have to just give guys an opportunity.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I think Harris has done an outstanding job with our corners and would hate to see him leave. It might worth to see if he’s ready to run the whole defense. If not, I would like to see Vrabel try his hand at running this defense as well. Maybe he can fix the linebacker situation. If he does great, he could be a candidate to replace McCarthy the following year if the offense regresses.
Vrabel was an excellent LB himself. If anyone can sort that position it would be him.

Wildcat711

Reaction score
I keep thinking that Jerry has gotten into a bit of a bad spot here.

Who would come on a 1 year deal?.. and if they get signed for more years what happens if/when the HC goes?

Seems like a bit of a cock-up to me.. maybe they will have to promote from inside.

I guess I will have to wait with baited breath like everyone else.. lol

_sturt_

Reaction score
I'll say this much... if you're gonna hire someone who was a position coach, you'd best promote from within, because there's truly no pragmatic, informed way to judge position coaches from other teams... unless it happens to be a position coach who once was on the payroll and so you have first-hand knowledge of who he is and how he is.

If anyone can sort that position it would be him.
Martindale has quite the LB coach resume' ahead of his becoming a DC... fwiw.