I think Al Harris is best option for DC

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Whitt already was hired in Washington. Harris I think is following him.
Harris is under contract. Unless he gets a promotion, doubtful with Whitt being named DC, he can only go if Dallas lets him.

I think it's more likely Dallas promotes Harris, and I wouldn't have a problem with that. The names some folks are tossing around are unrealistic given MM's status.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
Dallas can refuse any move he makes because it will be lateral
What organization doesn’t thrive keeping people in important positions when they’d rather be working for someone else? “No, I’m afraid you have to stay here whether you like it or not. Oh, by the way, please be our defensive coordinator.” The more I think about it, the more sure I am this is a prudent way to do business.

diamonddelts

Reaction score
Harris is more of a technique coach for the DB's. He has next to no experience in devising schemes or coming up with gameplans to stop an entire offense.

In other words I want Harris to stay, but I don't think he's ready to be a DC yet.
Funny how fans have no problem with all these coaches' sons getting upper tier coaching jobs with little experience via nepotism. But when guys like Al Harris or Eric Bienemy names come up for DC/HC jobs, the same fans will state "they are not ready."

Hmmm. I wonder why?

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think Harris is the best option for DC. He’s not set in his ways yet and would understand the need to beef up the middle of the defense. Using what he learned from Quinn coupled with a new scheme featuring bigger LBs the transition could be seamless.
Yes, we LOVE our children..........this policy has worked wonders for us for the past 29 years!!!!

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think he's a bright young coach, not sure if limited experience as a DB coach prepares uou to run your own scheme. Doesn't mean he's not ready, but we don't know.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Why would he be retained is my question, just wondering why is all
remember, the why is obvious sort of... I think we know, deep down. Jerry likes comfort and despises change, even if its sorely needed. Retaining him makes sense in a Jerry World.

McMicah

Reaction score
Al Harris specializes in DB play and focuses on technique at that position. I don’t believe he’s a scheme (all D working together) guy. I don’t know that he would know or be able to communicate to scouts/FO what he wants in a DT or LB for instance or how they would all play as a unit. Maybe you roll the dice and see what he has, but I just don’t get the impression that’s where he is in his career.

Heck of a DB coach though and the players absolutely love the man

LysleE

Reaction score
What a quandary…
Whitt Jr: the logical choice leaving for DC position in Washington.
Harris: liked what he did with the DBs, but being a DC with no experience is a different animal; moreover, has voiced his desire to follow Quinn.
Do we want MM selecting a DC? His choice of Nolan was a terrible; but since he is coaching for a new contract he should have a say in who his DC will be.
With a lame-duck HC who is going to want to be a DC on what could be a one-year deal and have to deal with Jerry’s meddlesome ways?
I fear Dallas will end up with Rivera or Zimmer; would love to see BB be DC as I think he would demand accountability and had the skins to command respect of the players, but Jerry doesn’t roll that way, he wants a DC subservient to him just like the HC.
But Dallas is “all in” this year and will be managing their personnel in a “holistic” manner. So all is well…what can possibly go wrong?

Rayman70

Reaction score
Al Harris specializes in DB play and focuses on technique at that position. I don’t believe he’s a scheme (all D working together) guy. I don’t know that he would know or be able to communicate to scouts/FO what he wants in a DT or LB for instance or how they would all play as a unit. Maybe you roll the dice and see what he has, but I just don’t get the impression that’s where he is in his career.

Heck of a DB coach though and the players absolutely love the man
he can only do so much, I luv him too, but he isn't the end all be all. He didn't seem to help our dbs since Thanksgiving, as we watched them look confused, and couldn't cover Green Bays wideouts. In fact, they were 20 yards out of position. That is a red flag for me. Now was that DQ or AL ? I must admit, I sometimes overvalue or coaches and assistants. I think the media and many of us did as well. I think Al wasn't as good as we talked ourselves into thinking. GB exposed us. Hes good, not great. No way he can be the D coord. Not ready.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
Funny how fans have no problem with all these coaches' sons getting upper tier coaching jobs with little experience via nepotism. But when guys like Al Harris or Eric Bienemy names come up for DC/HC jobs, the same fans will state "they are not ready."

Hmmm. I wonder why?
Apparently Bienemy doesn’t interview well plus it was Andy Reid’s offense in KC. Also I believe issues with him not getting along with players in Washington (could be wrong on that). Harris even said he doesn’t scheme or game plan, why would you promote someone to DC that hasn’t helped with that?

Last edited:

Cowboyny

Reaction score
I think Harris is the best option for DC. He’s not set in his ways yet and would understand the need to beef up the middle of the defense. Using what he learned from Quinn coupled with a new scheme featuring bigger LBs the transition could be seamless.
It's a huge step from being an assistant DB coach to becoming a DC. Creating a scheme, calling plays, hell just getting the right personnel in.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
I'll say this much... if you're gonna hire someone who was a position coach, you'd best promote from within, because there's truly no pragmatic, informed way to judge position coaches from other teams... unless it happens to be a position coach who once was on the payroll and so you have first-hand knowledge of who he is and how he is.

Martindale has quite the LB coach resume' ahead of his becoming a DC... fwiw.
I'm not opposed to Martindale if Vrabel is off the table.

shabazz

Reaction score
Most people have no idea what AL Harris brings to the table... .they've seen him when the camera would pan to him after every Bland interception so automatically he's DC material

My question is why didn't the camera pan to AL Harris every time his defensive backs played 12 yards off the receiver and constantly gave up 3rd and 5s all the way down to the game losing touchdown?

Let's keep it 100 here.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If Harris wants t follow DQ. Let him. It ca't be a lateral move, so he would have to be given an additional title, like Assistant HC.

If Washington does not want to do that. Then Jerry can work a trade. Maybe get a 3rd round draft pick. How bad does DQ want him, or does he want him?
Harris said he will follow him, but has DQ said he would want him as well?

If DQ wants him, make a trade.
Just like he may overpay for a few of our FA's getting us some comp picks. Or will he trade for a few players as well.

_sturt_

Reaction score
Most people have no idea what AL Harris brings to the table... .they've seen him when the camera would pan to him after every Bland interception so automatically he's DC material
Yes and no.

Your point is well-taken that we're mostly talking about him and not any of the other position coaches on defense because of the media attention he received.

But no, I don't think the hiring committee has any of us on it, and because the stakes are as high as they are--not even just the normal "high," but Jerry's age and Mike's contract boost it beyond normal--the only people who will end up getting serious attention, I'm confident, are serious candidates.

To my point to your point... if we discover in the next day or days that Harris is getting considered, we're smarter to read that that there genuinely has been some DC traits seen in how Harris goes about his business that make him deserving of that consideration.

But if we don't see that situation evolve, then, fine, the Al Harris speculation by fans was just that, speculation.

My question is why didn't the camera pan to AL Harris every time his defensive backs played 12 yards off the receiver and constantly gave up 3rd and 5s all the way down to the game losing touchdown?
Ummm... not sure why you ask that question. You get it, do you not, that the idea of the coordinator's role is, in part, to determine pre-snap defensive sets... so that's a Quinn thing, not a Harris thing to begin with.

Sounds like Al Harris might've beat your dog, or cut you off in traffic one day. Dunno.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
What makes him an option? He hasn’t been in coaching that long, and he has primarily been a position coach, teach8ng footwork and technique. By his own admission, he has had no part in meeting or discussions about scheme or X’s and O’s.

I think it would be a huge gamble that could implode and waste an entire season.