I think its time to move Ratliff to DE

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Either one of two things...

Either the much lauded and talked about move back to the 4-3.

With

James - Thomas - Burnett
Ware - Johnson - Ratliff - Spencer/Ellis

Which I think would become the best possible combination of our players abilities.

or simply push Spears out of the starting lineup.

Canty - Johnson - Ratliff

Deefens

Reaction score
The defense is coming on strong and gelling together, lets do a complete overhaul. holy crap, I guess I'm not the only drunk poster.

links18

Reaction score
Galian Beast;2450246 said:
Either one of two things...

Either the much lauded and talked about move back to the 4-3.

With

James - Thomas - Burnett
Ware - Johnson - Ratliff - Spencer/Ellis

Which I think would become the best possible combination of our players abilities.

or simply push Spears out of the starting lineup.

Canty - Johnson - Ratliff

Won't happen--this year, at least.....

BHendri5

Reaction score
Why would you want to move Spears out? He is having the best year out of all our DLinemen, not our LBs.

You ought to check out Spears stats.

Deefens

Reaction score
BHendri5;2450265 said:
Why would you want to move Spears out? He is having the best year out of all our DLinemen, not our LBs.

No kiddin, no offense to anybody... but these forum things should be for informed dudes(and women) right? I mostly lurk and enjoy reading opinions from other fans that watch what's going on. Try watching the game after TIVO and focus on individuals like coaches do... Spears is playing well.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Its not just about pressure, and its not just about the last two games against two of the worst teams in the nfl.

And Spears isn't ratliff... check that stat =/

And a 4-3 isn't a complete overhaul, its what all the players natural positions are, and what we play our nickel in.

And moving Ratliff to end, and starting johnson is hardly a overhaul either... you're still the only drunk one.

Deefens

Reaction score
Come on, we're finally playing well and Wade Phillips... more importantly Jerry Jones is committed to the 3-4. I like that we are the only team in the NFC east with a 3-4... we just have to keep getting better at it and drafting smart.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
we beat the giants as is, and you might be right. Til then I'd like to start our best players on defense, and shore up this coverage problem against tight ends.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Spears isn't Ratliff. But Spears is outplaying Canty over the season. Canty has had a couple of good games lately. Tank is playing better, too. He's eating up double teams pretty well right now. One reason our middle hasn't been so soft lately.

We need all these guys right now. Our backups are playing better as well. Bowen and Hatcher need a little love, too. I wouldn't move them around now.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Deefens;2450271 said:
No kiddin, no offense to anybody... but these forum things should be for informed dudes(and women) right? I mostly lurk and enjoy reading opinions from other fans that watch what's going on. Try watching the game after TIVO and focus on individuals like coaches do... Spears is playing well.

I agree. I was taught to watch the games not as a fan but as a player wanting to be perfect at my position and to take what others do well and to incorporate those things into what I did when I played.
But now days I try to watch the games as a coach would, because I am always around people who think they know the game better than anyone else, also because I talk with a lot of media type people and you have to know what you are talking about when you talk with them, plus I love talking sports, with anyone, football, basketball, boxing, track all sports that I have done and love.
I do not have Tivo, but I have a VCR and I record all games except the ones they play on the nfl network, I go back and rewatch the games, even the losses, you notice a lot more when you go back and rewatch the games later.

I really love sports debates, hearing everyones differing opinons, I love it. So when I go back and forth with someone in here, I am really enjoying myself.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Galian Beast;2450289 said:
Its not just about pressure, and its not just about the last two games against two of the worst teams in the nfl.

And Spears isn't ratliff... check that stat =/

And a 4-3 isn't a complete overhaul, its what all the players natural positions are, and what we play our nickel in.

And moving Ratliff to end, and starting johnson is hardly a overhaul either... you're still the only drunk one.

Remember, Parcells is/was a 3-4 guy, and he drafted, traded and got rid of the 4-3 guys we had, and since we had been playing the 3-4 the past 2yrs under Parcells, Jerry hired a guy(Wade) who is suppose to be a 3-4 Genius, a defense that he has always coached. So when did these guys play a 4-3 in the NFL?

Spears is not Ratliff, but that does not change the fact that Spears is our best DLineman right now.

Now, one thing I will say , and I have said this for the past 3yrs, we should move Spears to NT, and move Rat, back to DE.
Spears is bigger, thicker and harder to move than Ratliff, and he will clogg up the middle. This past training camp they started mixing it up like that, and I saw that as a precursor to the move becoming permanent during this next offseason, sometimes in games they make that switch.

Ratliff has a non-stop motor, so I can see why they love him at the NT position, because of his quickness and his non-stop motor, causes a lot of problems for a lot of centers, whereas if he was at DE, he may not wreak as much havoc going up against OTs/OGs that are use to going up against good/great, quick and fast DEs all the time.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
Ratliff won't be as effective at DE going up against tackles.

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
BHendri5;2450265 said:

26 tackles
1 FF
0 Sacks
2 PD

They are stats that stand out big time but he stuffing the run EXTREMELY well and is a pretty valuable DE for us contrary what others think.

Anyone know he had his own website (http://marcusspears96.com/) ?

Section446

Reaction score
Why the heck would you want to make a move at this juncture? The defense is playing lights out and Ratliff is doing a wonderful job at Nose thus far. This notion that you have to be 6'5 340 to play Nose is just crazy, he clearly has the strength of a 'typical' Nose and possesses the speed to destroy a play.

ROMOSAPIEN9

Proud Grandpa
Reaction score
You're suggesting we change our entire defensive scheme 12 games in to a season?

I don't think that would be a very prudent decision.

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
I agree Ratliff has shown he cant get it done at NT its time to move him :rolleyes:

Eskimo

Reaction score
I'd like to move Rat but I will have to wait until next year.

Also, no point in switching to 4-3 when we have the league best defensive player at OLB.

BHendri5

Reaction score
Galian Beast;2450300 said:
we beat the giants as is, and you might be right. Til then I'd like to start our best players on defense, and shore up this coverage problem against tight ends.

we will beat the giants, they are not as tough as they are being made out to be. rewatch the first game against them and you will see, somethings that if Romo had been playing we would have won, heck we may have beaten them with Bollinger, or at least made it a tight game.

I do agree, we need our best players starting and the ones that cannot start because we would draw a penalty for too many men on the field, they need to get on the field as much as possible.

I'm more concerned about our secondary, our best players there or our young guys.
Henry should have been moved this past offseason to FS. Our best secondary guys right now are Newman, Scandrick, Jenkins heck even Ball, oh and Pac, when he was playing, Hamlin and Henry are getting beat, Henry has been getting beat on a regular basis for the past 2 seasons.

Section446

Reaction score
Eskimo;2450362 said:
I'd like to move Rat but I will have to wait until next year.

Also, no point in switching to 4-3 when we have the league best defensive player at OLB.
And we're getting great pressure with the 3-4, if we were towards the bottom half of the league in sacks or stopping the run I could see some change at a later time, but not this far into the season. Heck, right now we're #8 in total defense, why change anything period?