I think its time to move Ratliff to DE

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
Dumb thread.

Does this guy realize Ratliff is causing havoc at NT?? Something that has put this defense to the next level.. We weren't getting that at the beginning of the season now we are and look at how good the defense has been.

A 3-4 NT with 6 sacks his unheard of...

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
Now that we are finally seeing what a 3-4 defense with the 'cuffs off can finally do, you want to go back to the 4-3???

Where on earth would DWare and Spencer play?

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
No reason why Ratliff couldn't play both NT and DE(of course, not during the same play). Move him around sometimes. Make the opposing teams guess. It would be interesting to see both Ratliff and Ware next to each other. Give it a shot sometime.

The Cowboys have enough DL playmakers to keep the opposing quarterbacks guessing.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2450605 said:
Why would you even bring something like this up at this point?

It's totally misplaced considering NOTHING is going to change on this defense until next training camp.

And I want you to post the links where anyone on the Cowboys has suggested going back to a 4-3...

Last but not least if you think Canty has outplayed Spears this season, then you're delusional.

While Spears has been average at best for the most part, Canty has been down-right bad for most of the season

They've both been equally "Bleh" IMO.

Eskimo

Reaction score
ninja;2450719 said:
No reason why Ratliff couldn't play both NT and DE(of course, not during the same play). Move him around sometimes. Make the opposing teams guess. It would be interesting to see both Ratliff and Ware next to each other. Give it a shot sometime.

The Cowboys have enough DL playmakers to keep the opposing quarterbacks guessing.

Even just having a guy who could take half the snaps at NT so we could give Rat some rest and line him up at DE would be a big bonus. It would save some wear and tear from the constant double teaming and keep him fresher to pass rush in the nickel as a DT.

NT should be a big priority this offseason.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Eskimo;2450984 said:
Even just having a guy who could take half the snaps at NT so we could give Rat some rest and line him up at DE would be a big bonus. It would save some wear and tear from the constant double teaming and keep him fresher to pass rush in the nickel as a DT.

NT should be a big priority this offseason.

Which I'm sure it will be.

I would think either our 2nd or 3rd rounder will be a NT.

Real1st

Nikola Tesla
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2450605 said:
Why would you even bring something like this up at this point?

It's totally misplaced considering NOTHING is going to change on this defense until next training camp.

And I want you to post the links where anyone on the Cowboys has suggested going back to a 4-3...

Last but not least if you think Canty has outplayed Spears this season, then you're delusional.

While Spears has been average at best for the most part, Canty has been down-right bad for most of the season.

Pretty much accurate.

I forgot Canty was even on the team. Thats how pathetic his season has been. Ive heard Spears name called more than Canty

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Rack;2450974 said:
They've both been equally "Bleh" IMO.

I'm not big on either of them myself, but their positions on in the starting line-up are not going to change the rest of this season except due to an injury.

Wrangler87

Reaction score
PaulH1083;2450352 said:
Why the heck would you want to make a move at this juncture? The defense is playing lights out and Ratliff is doing a wonderful job at Nose thus far. This notion that you have to be 6'5 340 to play Nose is just crazy, he clearly has the strength of a 'typical' Nose and possesses the speed to destroy a play.

I don't agree with that. We have to get a real NT in the offseason and move Ratliff to DE. Canty will likely be gone, isn't he a free agent?

Eskimo

Reaction score
Wrangler87;2451031 said:
I don't agree with that. We have to get a real NT in the offseason and move Ratliff to DE. Canty will likely be gone, isn't he a free agent?

Canty will be an UFA. Spears still has another year on his deal.

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
theogt;2450334 said:
Ratliff won't be as effective at DE going up against tackles.

Ratliff has been our best pass rushing d-lineman for a few years now, even at DE 2 years ago he had 4 sacks which was more than our other linemen.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2451016 said:
I'm not big on either of them myself, but their positions on in the starting line-up are not going to change the rest of this season except due to an injury.

Agreed.

That wouldn't have been the case if we had kept Fergy - like we should have. Fergy and Tank at NG. Ratliff at RE and let Canty/Spears battle over the LE spot.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki;2450985 said:
Which I'm sure it will be.

I would think either our 2nd or 3rd rounder will be a NT.

I think there are bigger fish to fry for the Cowboys than NT in the draft. LB, Safety, OT, and backup QB are all higher priority than NT.

Eskimo

Reaction score
ninja;2451333 said:
I think there are bigger fish to fry for the Cowboys than NT in the draft. LB, Safety, OT, and backup QB are all higher priority than NT.

I think OG is probably a bigger need than OT as I still have hope for Free and McQuistan but none for Berger and Proctor.

Safety is a concern but a combo of RW and Hamlin is pretty good overall.

Backup QB is a definite need but Bollinger is likely the #2 and we will probably pick a developmental guy late in the draft.

ILB and OLB are both needs - but it would be nice to get a look at Carp before the season is through. We will also need to decide what we are going to do with Burnett and Zach Thomas.

NT is a definite need - could be done via FA or draft. We need someone who can split reps with Rat there. I think it is as big a need as any of the other positions listed.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
It'd sure be nice if Holland proves we don't need an OG in the draft.

Eskimo

Reaction score
theogt;2451376 said:
It'd sure be nice if Holland proves we don't need an OG in the draft.

If Holland works out as the starter, then we have Kosier who can backup 4 positions - this allows more developmental time for McQuistan and Free - and I think both of them have some talent but both need to play OT.

Reaction score
I think Ratliff will be moved to DE next year because Dallas will almost certainly sign or draft a bigger NT.

CowboysxSwagger

Reaction score
I think it's a little to late to try that
we are good now with our ends
if not we should mix it up
but our d line is playing pretty good this year

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Eskimo;2451389 said:
If Holland works out as the starter, then we have Kosier who can backup 4 positions - this allows more developmental time for McQuistan and Free - and I think both of them have some talent but both need to play OT.

Why not just start Kosier at LG next year?

He's been better than average when healthy. It's not like he has a history of injury problems.

We don't need ANY starting OL next year (unless we don't resign Colombo).

28 Joker

28 Joker
Reaction score
I think offensive line will be the number one target.

Ramon Foster G/T

Remember that name.