I think its time to move Ratliff to DE

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Deefens;2450251 said:
The defense is coming on strong and gelling together, lets do a complete overhaul. holy crap, I guess I'm not the only drunk poster.

:lmao2:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
BHendri5;2450366 said:
we will beat the giants, they are not as tough as they are being made out to be. rewatch the first game against them and you will see, somethings that if Romo had been playing we would have won, heck we may have beaten them with Bollinger, or at least made it a tight game.

I do agree, we need our best players starting and the ones that cannot start because we would draw a penalty for too many men on the field, they need to get on the field as much as possible.

I'm more concerned about our secondary, our best players there or our young guys.
Henry should have been moved this past offseason to FS. Our best secondary guys right now are Newman, Scandrick, Jenkins heck even Ball, oh and Pac, when he was playing, Hamlin and Henry are getting beat, Henry has been getting beat on a regular basis for the past 2 seasons.

Wait a minute. Henry was where he needed to be. Scandrick and Jenkins are still rookies although Scandrick doesn't play like it. Henry has been needed at CB. At this point in time he can start to take over a FS type role. And he does. Been doing it off and on.

But I think he's been earmarked for trade. I wouldn't count on him being here next year. RW either.

Eskimo

Reaction score
PaulH1083;2450370 said:
And we're getting great pressure with the 3-4, if we were towards the bottom half of the league in sacks or stopping the run I could see some change at a later time, but not this far into the season. Heck, right now we're #8 in total defense, why change anything period?

I'm still not a big believer in our run D. I need to see us face and control the G-man before I am sold. I just think we are too light in the middle and we would beneft from having one of those big immovable widebodies like a Wilfork, Hampton or Jamal Williams. Now just having one of those guys doesn't automatically mean you are going to be good against the run, but I think that's where it starts in a 3-4.

Deefens

Reaction score
I thought we came out playing the run pretty well until our offense with Brad kept going 3 and out or turning the ball over. We'll see pretty soon if our run D is for real. I think it is.

Section446

Reaction score
Eskimo;2450386 said:
I'm still not a big believer in our run D. I need to see us face and control the G-man before I am sold. I just think we are too light in the middle and we would beneft from having one of those big immovable widebodies like a Wilfork, Hampton or Jamal Williams. Now just having one of those guys doesn't automatically mean you are going to be good against the run, but I think that's where it starts in a 3-4.
I agree with you, but we appear to be doing something right with the current personnel, do we really need to change it now? And who's to say that Ratliff would do much at DE? But you know something Ratliff does that none of those guys do well? Get to the QB....

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yea this makes sense. The defense is finally gelling so its time to go back to the 4-3. IF it ain't broke don't fix it and though its only been a couple of games i'm liking what I see. Spears has been good this year. His best year as a Cowboy. I'm not sure if stas back that up but I can see with my own two eyes Spears has been solid. And Ratliff......What is it to say about that guy? He's become one of the best nose tackles in the game. Why F with it? Let's see how far this will go.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Deefens;2450251 said:
The defense is coming on strong and gelling together, lets do a complete overhaul. holy crap, I guess I'm not the only drunk poster.

:hammer:

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
In a related topic, I really think we should start brad johnson cause I am sick of Romos guaranteed 1 turnover per game.

Section446

Reaction score
Hypnotoad;2450481 said:
In a related topic, I really think we should start brad johnson cause I am sick of Romos guaranteed 1 turnover per game.
:lmao:

Rudy

Reaction score
I can't stand 3-4 haters, but I despise people who want Dallas to turn to a 4-3 this season or next season. If it was THAT easy to just transfer from one to the other, it wouldn't have taken Dallas 4 years to finally get to where it is now. Things are only going to get better, and really - why fix something that isn't broken?

Eskimo

Reaction score
PaulH1083;2450393 said:
I agree with you, but we appear to be doing something right with the current personnel, do we really need to change it now? And who's to say that Ratliff would do much at DE? But you know something Ratliff does that none of those guys do well? Get to the QB....

Of course, we cannot change it now. Ratliff is by far the best guy on the roster to play NT.

I am talking more about the offseason - for now we have to play Rat at NT even though I don't think it is his best position. His best position is 4-3 DT and his second best position is 3-4 DE.

Eskimo

Reaction score
Deefens;2450390 said:
I thought we came out playing the run pretty well until our offense with Brad kept going 3 and out or turning the ball over. We'll see pretty soon if our run D is for real. I think it is.

I worry that Rat tires out if teams keep committed to the run - this is what the Giants will do to us. My hope is that we can play with the lead and force Eli to make some bad throws under durerss.

Hypnotoad

Reaction score
Eskimo;2450501 said:
I worry that Rat tires out if teams keep committed to the run - this is what the Giants will do to us. My hope is that we can play with the lead and force Eli to make some bad throws under durerss.

My worry is Ratliff spends too much energy celebrating, faints causing spears to carry him to the locker room, and leaves us with Carpenter at NT.

Theres some talk out there that Ratliff is redefining the NT position and how future 3-4 teams will draft NT. This could be something real special we have here. I don't think we should trash it.

RainMan

Makin' It Rain
Reaction score
Didn't Ratliff seriously oppose playing DE earlier this season? He's not a prototypical, mammoth nose tackle per se', but it sure seems like he's dominating the position as much as anyone these days.

Why move him permanently?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Galian Beast;2450246 said:
Either one of two things...

Either the much lauded and talked about move back to the 4-3.

With

James - Thomas - Burnett
Ware - Johnson - Ratliff - Spencer/Ellis

Which I think would become the best possible combination of our players abilities.

or simply push Spears out of the starting lineup.

Canty - Johnson - Ratliff

Why would you even bring something like this up at this point?

It's totally misplaced considering NOTHING is going to change on this defense until next training camp.

And I want you to post the links where anyone on the Cowboys has suggested going back to a 4-3...

Last but not least if you think Canty has outplayed Spears this season, then you're delusional.

While Spears has been average at best for the most part, Canty has been down-right bad for most of the season.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
What? The dude is wreaking havoc from hos current position. Spears had a great game Thursday.

Did you see the Hags put Peterson on #81? Stupid, huh?

superpunk

Reaction score
This thread suggests that we start Tank Johnson at NT.

Horrible idea.

Would not read again.