I think that we are set to finally see the potential of this team unleashed

Reaction score
A trash article from a now-dead rag? I don't even see an author's name on it? It certainly has no support for anything it claims. I at least showed the actual connection between the coaches. This shows nothing. It even admits to it:

"Heck, I have zero proof whatsoever that the two men (or their henchmen) have spoken about the Cowboys’ job. But if you can’t see what’s going on here, it’s because you’re choosing not to."

This unhinged obsession of yours is entertaining as hell.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This unhinged obsession of yours is entertaining as hell.

Accurate.

You forgot the word accurate. What I said about Garrett’s actual connection to Kiffen and Marinelli from Tampa Bay is the thing that’s “accurate”.

“Unhinged” is believing conspiracy theory from an unknown author from 2013 and a dead magazine. An author who themselves concede having “zero proof”. About a coach in Gruden that in fact never ended up here.

But hey to each their own. You do you.

Praxit

Reaction score
...Im getting the deja-vu feeling from, 14',15',16',10'...etc. That Red-Jesus did something to me brain.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Its easy to get excited this time of year, but we've had super bowl caliber teams pretty much every year since Romo was installed and have been let down every year. This doesnt feel any different to me, it felt like to me McCarthy was gonna be another Jerry puppet. I really hope im wrong.
It feels completely different. Just changing the HC, the defensive coaches and the special teams coach alone makes this a much better team than last years.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
I think that we are set to finally see the potential of this team unleashed. Not only from the players that have been here, but the number of new faces that have been added. Maybe I'm homering out, but my optimism is sky-high with the 2020 Dallas Cowboys. I confess to always feeling some measure of this at the start of each new season, but it feels much higher this season. And the reports on players, coaches, schemes and lineups only serves to increase it.

The front office has remade the defensive line in one offseason. And not with bums, but with proven veteran talent. These guys have Pro Bowl pedigree, and the Cowboys somehow got all of them for far less than what anyone could have expected.

Dallas had a phenomenal draft and somehow managed to see the best receiver in the draft fall in their laps. They followed that up with several more hits and positions of need.

And now they finally have a capable, creative coaching staff in place putting it all together.

I think the results are going to be stark and that this team is going to finally show the potential they've had for several years now. The roadblocks have been removed and this team has a real shot to win a championship this year.

200.gif
I hope so. "On paper" this has been the best off season for the Cowboys in some time. I think they made maybe the best hire they could have made in Mike McCarthy. Free agency brought in some good additions (McCoy, Poe, Griffen, Dalton, Ha-Ha, Zuerlein, Aldon). Also, many believe they knocked it out of the park with this draft class. Things feel really good right now. Not that the players are calling out Garrett and his staff, but I've seen some comments that suggest things just weren't working. Dak made a comment about "not playing smart" and someone mentioned the intensity is higher under Mike. The defense being predictable is another. We will see. I'm curious to see how the weird offseason impacts them. I can't say I expect a Super Bowl this year but why not? I'm thinking 12-4, NFC East Champions, and a playoff win or two. This team has the horses to win the whole thing. Need to stay healthy and have a little bit of luck.

IndianaCowboys1994

Reaction score
A Garrett-less led team should be excitement for all. :muttley:

That was the best news all oof-season, until we drafted CeeDee. But the new coaching staff still tops everything. just imagine if Garrett was still here. The draft may have been a disaster. The new defensive FA's would not be here. No Poe, MCcoy, Dix, Smith, Griffen. Just think of all that talent not here.
They would have not signed Dalton as well. Witten would be here stopping TE progress.

Maybe Diggs would have been the #1 pick, if not then Chaisson. Lamb would be in Philly. Maher would have been brought back in to compete with Forbaith.

Time to be even more excited as TC has begun.
This is why things feel different. I think Dallas takes Chaisson if Garrett was still here. Probably a DT in the 2nd round. You are right, I don't see the free agents coming here like they did. It would feel like an 8-10 win team-if that.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Those are maybe/general type predictions for the defense. I feel more confident to make some bolder predictions.

As it stands right now...……………..with everyone healthy...………..the Cowboys have one of the best front 7's in all of football. Aldon will a beast that can be used as a RDE in the 4-3 or the 3-4 with his added weight. We can also slide him inside as a DT in the 4-3 on passing downs. Perfect compliment with Griffin. The pass rush will be amazing this year and I would be shocked if teams had success running on this front 7. They are power packed to be a top notch running defense. Offense will light it up and give defense the ability to tee off. Sack numbers are going to jump. Lawrence will have his best season as a pro. IF healthy this defense has the ability to be a top unit no question about it.

Secondary is a big concern but having Ha Ha back there instead of the horrid Heath is a big upgrade.

If we could somehow get Wilson in at safety starting instead of Woods that would be amazing.

Take out Heath and Jones, two of the worst play makers in football and bring in Clinton and a top play making type rookie in Diggs. Definitely more turnovers. I do see some coverage issues especially early and Nolan's risk taking and young CB will mean we get burned on defense in the passing game. And teams will be winging it trying to play catchup most of the time.

This team is a true contender NOW!!
I don't disagree, but there are conditions with all those scenarios. I didn't address linebacker, but I'm still worried about LVE's neck and Lee's age and injury history. Jaylon Smith may excel in the new scheme and new position, however.

And although I like the Aldon Smith signing, I'm still concerned about the layoff.

If everything breaks in our favor, I agree with your prediction. But I still have my doubts. Maybe be lingering phantom fears from the Garrett era. :laugh:

pansophy

Reaction score
I'm not convinced we are even going to have a season at this point. College football is cancelled. What makes anyone think that 1/4 of the league isn't going to get Covid?

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
I think their frustrations with Jones overrides everything else. And while I can understand that frustration to some extent, I can't see how it can blind someone to all of the good that is undeniably happening right now.

25 years of frustration and futility can have that effect lol... for some it is easier to expect the worst rather than have hope and risk being bitterly disappointed

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I'm not convinced we are even going to have a season at this point. College football is cancelled. What makes anyone think that 1/4 of the league isn't going to get Covid?

Uh, it most definitely is not. Unless a conference that you only watch has cancelled and you refuse to watch any other conference. However, as of today, there will still be several College ball games to be had.

BigTimeBlues

Reaction score
I don't disagree, but there are conditions with all those scenarios. I didn't address linebacker, but I'm still worried about LVE's neck and Lee's age and injury history. Jaylon Smith may excel in the new scheme and new position, however.

And although I like the Aldon Smith signing, I'm still concerned about the layoff.

If everything breaks in our favor, I agree with your prediction. But I still have my doubts. Maybe be lingering phantom fears from the Garrett era. :laugh:

I'm still not entirely sold on the secondary..at all really. Unless the new DLine is absolutely lights out, it may not matter.

As far as the NFC goes? The South sans Carolina all have amazing WR corps. You could say the Rams are fairly talented. Who ever really knows with Filthy and Wince and his merry band of TEs. Rogers will be Rogers, possibly.

I hope I am wrong, but that's really the only group I forsee being the weak link. The front office did decent, I suppose, in bringing in some vet help(HaHa and Worley)but I was a big Byron fan and feel that he would have been outstanding with Dallas new pass rush.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
25 years of frustration and futility can have that effect lol... for some it is easier to expect the worst rather than have hope and risk being bitterly disappointed

Yeah, I've been there myself enough times.
;)

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The same as Belichick went to as a head coach without Tom Brady.

Good thing you added that qualifier of "head coach", because like I said, he helped Parcells get to several before Tom Brady was ever in the league.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not only did he defend Garrett, he argued with everyone that we should accept Garrett as the best coach the team could get and we shouldn’t have any hope whatsoever of upgrading.

Yep, credibility = zero at this point.

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been there myself enough times.
;)

Me as well lol

This year just feels different to me. I am not saying we will win a SB— just noting the upgrades in talent, the improved philosophy/culture, the hunger and focus just seem to be there.

Lots of players and coaches out to prove themselves and cash in. The “we do what we do” and “we like our guys” mentality is gone. You can tell MM is just a blue collar dude that loves the game and is developing a “meat n potatoes” approach that is so refreshing.

We will lose games— but we won’t beat ourselves the way this team would under Garrett.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Me as well lol

This year just feels different to me. I am not saying we will win a SB— just noting the upgrades in talent, the improved philosophy/culture, the hunger and focus just seem to be there.

Lots of players and coaches out to prove themselves and cash in. The “we do what we do” and “we like our guys” mentality is gone. You can tell MM is just a blue collar dude that loves the game and is developing a “meat n potatoes” approach that is so refreshing.

We will lose games— but we won’t beat ourselves the way this team would under Garrett.

Barring catastrophic injuries, we sure as hell won't finish 8-8 again.

Maybe then the few remaining Garrett lovers huddled together in the corner will finally Man up and admit they were totally, utterly, and completely wrong?

Nah!

JBS

Reaction score

Maybe then the few remaining Garrett lovers huddled together in the corner will finally Man up and admit they were totally, utterly, and completely wrong?

Nah!

What is your confidence level in this defense? Spec the coaches

Hawkeye19

Reaction score

Nah!

I think Garrett does pretty well up in NY as the OC. He has some talent to work with and will be in his sweetspot as a coach.

His backers here will simply look at the NY offense and any success they have as “proof” Garrett is a great coach... and then blame JJ for the lack of success here

blueblood70

Reaction score
They were good last year, and healthy. And the best Garrett's incompetence could do was 8-8.

His firing was long overdue.
Yes overdue my point still stands hand him THIS TEAM THIS ROSTER for 2020 we are back in the payoffs either way..its been the DC calling card for better part of the decade he spent here..one up one downs, well 8-8 was down Jerry brought in some leak seal and for sure this is BS narrative on now garetts gone how 2020 was all MM regardless of outcome..

this is a totally improved defense and ST, we already had a top offense..thats my point garett did not have defense like this id say maybe the entire time hes coached. Some of it is his fault for trusting Marinelli and Richard and whoever that ST coach was so yes im glad hes gone but once again i know he would have had a good year with this revamped defensive and ST roster..

Manster_Mash

Reaction score
The coaching changes can only help. I like the draft, for the meaningless worth that is for now. The FA signings are best they've been in many years.

However, everybody should pump the breaks on the hype train until we at least see this team play a game.