I think that we are set to finally see the potential of this team unleashed

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
How long have we heard teams were being tipped about what play was coming and stopped.

Remember our playoff game we lost after we beat Seattle in the playoffs in 2018.?

The Rams crowed long and loud about how basic our schemes were and that we were 'telling' before the snap?

The former staff never addressed it and killed us game in and out.

Obviously the new staff saw it on defense.

Let's hope Moore sees it on offense.

When Sam Darnold goes from "the Cowboys do what they do" in a victory one week, to "I'm seeing hosts out there" in a shutout loss the next week, you know there are issues. And there's a huge difference between New England level defense, and what the Cowboys were doing.

And you mentioned the Rams players talking about the tells that allowed them to rush for 273 yards in that playoff loss.

That's undeniable, even to the biggest Garrett lover.

MikeB80

Reaction score
How long have we heard teams were being tipped about what play was coming and stopped.

Remember our playoff game we lost after we beat Seattle in the playoffs in 2018.?

The Rams crowed long and loud about how basic our schemes were and that we were 'telling' before the snap?

The former staff never addressed it and killed us game in and out.

Obviously the new staff saw it on defense.

Let's hope Moore sees it on offense.

the coordinator was fired after that game. Then the head coach did not get an extension which led to a pretty lousy coaching staff last year. its tough to sell coaches on signing onto a lame duck head coach.

At one point we had a fantastic offensive staff. linehan-callahan-pope. It was an excellent staff. Last year was not.

Somehow moore is still here however.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the coordinator was fired after that game. Then the head coach did not get an extension which led to a pretty lousy coaching staff last year. its tough to sell coaches on signing onto a lame duck head coach.

At one point we had a fantastic offensive staff. linehan-callahan-pope. It was an excellent staff. Last year was not.

Like I said, every word is wrong. As if it's intentional.

Hang your head.
:facepalm:

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score

Moore.

Still doubting his ability to change up his tendencies enough to be effective.

I know everybody wants to point to Dak and his 5,000 yards as being a big improvement.

Which it was but with footnotes you have to understand as to why he got it. Defenses were playing with 14pt+ leads early in games and played prevent defenses to protect leads.

Receivers were open and catches were made but scores were scarce. Zeke was often taken out of games by halftime as passing had to makeup then.

And let's understand how the NFL works. If you establish a certain strength one year like Dak and his 5000 yds..

they are going to dissect what you did and stop it and force you to change. People have a mental belief that once you do something well it will just carry over to the next season and be built on.

I find that rarely happens. Football is not linear. Things will change, teams adjust, guys get injured..guys that had a good year the next year don't.

So I think this being Moore's 3rd year involved in the offense means he has a possibility he will be exposed more.

We shall see.

quickccc

Reaction score
I think that we are set to finally see the potential of this team unleashed. Not only from the players that have been here, but the number of new faces that have been added. Maybe I'm homering out, but my optimism is sky-high with the 2020 Dallas Cowboys. I confess to always feeling some measure of this at the start of each new season, but it feels much higher this season. And the reports on players, coaches, schemes and lineups only serves to increase it.

The front office has remade the defensive line in one offseason. And not with bums, but with proven veteran talent. These guys have Pro Bowl pedigree, and the Cowboys somehow got all of them for far less than what anyone could have expected.

Dallas had a phenomenal draft and somehow managed to see the best receiver in the draft fall in their laps. They followed that up with several more hits and positions of need.

And now they finally have a capable, creative coaching staff in place putting it all together.

I think the results are going to be stark and that this team is going to finally show the potential they've had for several years now. The roadblocks have been removed and this team has a real shot to win a championship this year.

" Every man has a plan,... until he gets hit ... "

On paper, It does look promising and more optimistic because:
1) it's a fresh start with a new, proven HC and key asst. coaches ..and finally away from Garrett regime,
2) there's enthusiasm with several player personnel moves per draft class (led by Lamb) , and FA (led by Griffin)
3) there should not be a drastic major overhaul in offense wth with return of close asst. Moore/Mussenheimer for continuation of Dak.
4) Hopeful key replacements for loss of key players such as Fredrick and B Jones ( Diggs and Tyler Biadasz)
5) Pandemic bubble plan and placement that hopes to keep NFL season alive.

Reaction score
Well I'm hoping Jerry's new focus on defense pays off,,, could of used it about 5 years ago, but hey, whatever. I guess he was still hoping his boy Marinelli could turn things around.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
In theory, yes. But these are also seasoned, veteran coaches, so preparation might be different, but it's not new.

And if McCarthy was as prepared as has been claimed before and after his hire, that level of preparation should have carried over into what they did manage to get done.

All early reports and indications have been good.

McCarty and the new staff even under the limitations is better than Garrett and staff under normal conditions; however, fans should expect mistakes early in the season due to the limitations.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well I'm hoping Jerry's new focus on defense pays off,,, could of used it about 5 years ago, but hey, whatever. I guess he was still hoping his Marinelli hire would pan out. That seems to be a repeating theme with Jerry.

As far as I'm concerned, that was all Garrett.

It was he - not Jerry - who had experience working with Kiffen and Marinelli when he had that cup of coffee in Tampa. That's what led both eventually to Dallas, not any connection to Jerry Jones. People seem to forget that.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McCarty and the new staff even under the limitations is better than Garrett and staff under normal conditions; however, fans should expect mistakes early in the season due to the limitations.

I'm expecting to see some blown coverages allowing for some deep passes early on defense. I think that's a bit inevitable given the transition. I'm just hoping that a much-improved pass rush can cover for it until they get it sorted out.

Reaction score
As far as I'm concerned, that was all Garrett.

It was he - not Jerry - who had experience working with Kiffen and Marinelli when he had that cup of coffee in Tampa. That's what led both eventually to Dallas, not any connection to Jerry Jones. People seem to forget that.

Cowboys’ Jones undermining Garrett with coaching hires
By Pro Football Weekly
Posted Jan 24, 2013 at 12:01 AMUpdated Jan 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Jerry Jones should just fire Jason Garrett already.

Isn’t it obvious what Jones is doing here? He has assembled Jon Gruden’s staff on Garrett’s team — Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator, Rod Marinelli as the defensive line coach and Bill Callahan as offensive coordinator.

Yes, Callahan held that role a year ago — in name. But it was Garrett who called plays. No longer, it appears, with Jones stripping Garrett of those duties and (likely) giving them to Callahan, Gruden’s good buddy from the Oakland days and beyond.

Hey, if Tim Brown basically can suggest that Callahan threw the Super Bowl years ago to give Gruden a ring, farcical or not, we know just how close Callahan and Gruden are.

So Garrett’s not calling plays. His brother, John, the former tight ends coach in Dallas, was shipped out of town. And now it appears that Jones is trying to shove one of his former good old boys, Houston Nutt, down Garrett’s throat as the running backs coach.

Calllahan, Marinelli and Nutt — all were former head coaches. When Jones has been asked about Garrett’s game-management decisions, he has had a hard time not suggesting that he’s not fond of them in a lot of cases. And to be fair, Jones’ criticism of the erudite but also mechanical Garrett is often spot on: Too often, he overthinks and mishandles crucial game-clock situations.

But by *****footing around the obvious, that Jones craves having another head coach, he’s undermining Garrett badly. He’s basically hoping Garrett quits so that Jones can save a few million dollars of his salary.

It’s obvious. Painfully. And instead of just offing the guy, Jones allows him to go about his job down at the Senior Bowl with the threat looming over him that any day Jones — or Gruden — could have a change of heart and fire his head coach.

It’s weak. Maybe Jones is waiting until he knows he can get a settlement with Garrett. Maybe the owner isn’t sure Gruden wants the job. Maybe Gruden is asking too much in salary.

Heck, I have zero proof whatsoever that the two men (or their henchmen) have spoken about the Cowboys’ job. But if you can’t see what’s going on here, it’s because you’re choosing not to.

Jones needs to make a decision. Back Garrett, support him in the ways he needs or go with someone else. Now. The other NFL head-coaching jobs are dried up. The offensive coordinator spots are pretty much set in stone, league-wide. Garrett would have trouble getting a job that doesn’t already exist, save for a retirement, illness or another flip-floppy owner.

It’s embarrassing that Garrett, who despite all the guff he has taken, has won more than half his games as Cowboys coach and still gets treated this way. Garrett also rallied this team down the stretch, despite myriad injuries on both sides of the ball, and guided the ship very well following the DWI manslaughter charges against Josh Brent and the resulting death of teammate Jerry Brown.

Garrett has grown as a leader despite the often difficult circumstances working with Jones. Garrett might not be a perfect coach, but he has dealt with some tough things.

And now comes this. Will Garrett survive? Who knows? You get the feeling it’s either now in the next month or two that Jones makes a change or next season.

If Jones were man enough, he’d dip into his cash reserves and end the misery now. He already has done enough damage to his team and his coach’s career as it is.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think that we are set to finally see the potential of this team unleashed. Not only from the players that have been here, but the number of new faces that have been added. Maybe I'm homering out, but my optimism is sky-high with the 2020 Dallas Cowboys. I confess to always feeling some measure of this at the start of each new season, but it feels much higher this season. And the reports on players, coaches, schemes and lineups only serves to increase it.

The front office has remade the defensive line in one offseason. And not with bums, but with proven veteran talent. These guys have Pro Bowl pedigree, and the Cowboys somehow got all of them for far less than what anyone could have expected.

Dallas had a phenomenal draft and somehow managed to see the best receiver in the draft fall in their laps. They followed that up with several more hits and positions of need.

And now they finally have a capable, creative coaching staff in place putting it all together.

I think the results are going to be stark and that this team is going to finally show the potential they've had for several years now. The roadblocks have been removed and this team has a real shot to win a championship this year.

200.gif
:clap:While much remains to be seen, it's about time! The team is heading in a different and better direction and I like it! I try to be optimistic at the start of each season, but this one feels better.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Cowboys’ Jones undermining Garrett with coaching hires
By Pro Football Weekly
Posted Jan 24, 2013 at 12:01 AMUpdated Jan 24, 2013 at 5:39 PM

Jerry Jones should just fire Jason Garrett already.

Isn’t it obvious what Jones is doing here? He has assembled Jon Gruden’s staff on Garrett’s team — Monte Kiffin as defensive coordinator, Rod Marinelli as the defensive line coach and Bill Callahan as offensive coordinator.

Yes, Callahan held that role a year ago — in name. But it was Garrett who called plays. No longer, it appears, with Jones stripping Garrett of those duties and (likely) giving them to Callahan, Gruden’s good buddy from the Oakland days and beyond.

Hey, if Tim Brown basically can suggest that Callahan threw the Super Bowl years ago to give Gruden a ring, farcical or not, we know just how close Callahan and Gruden are.

So Garrett’s not calling plays. His brother, John, the former tight ends coach in Dallas, was shipped out of town. And now it appears that Jones is trying to shove one of his former good old boys, Houston Nutt, down Garrett’s throat as the running backs coach.

Calllahan, Marinelli and Nutt — all were former head coaches. When Jones has been asked about Garrett’s game-management decisions, he has had a hard time not suggesting that he’s not fond of them in a lot of cases. And to be fair, Jones’ criticism of the erudite but also mechanical Garrett is often spot on: Too often, he overthinks and mishandles crucial game-clock situations.

But by *****footing around the obvious, that Jones craves having another head coach, he’s undermining Garrett badly. He’s basically hoping Garrett quits so that Jones can save a few million dollars of his salary.

It’s obvious. Painfully. And instead of just offing the guy, Jones allows him to go about his job down at the Senior Bowl with the threat looming over him that any day Jones — or Gruden — could have a change of heart and fire his head coach.

It’s weak. Maybe Jones is waiting until he knows he can get a settlement with Garrett. Maybe the owner isn’t sure Gruden wants the job. Maybe Gruden is asking too much in salary.

Heck, I have zero proof whatsoever that the two men (or their henchmen) have spoken about the Cowboys’ job. But if you can’t see what’s going on here, it’s because you’re choosing not to.

Jones needs to make a decision. Back Garrett, support him in the ways he needs or go with someone else. Now. The other NFL head-coaching jobs are dried up. The offensive coordinator spots are pretty much set in stone, league-wide. Garrett would have trouble getting a job that doesn’t already exist, save for a retirement, illness or another flip-floppy owner.

It’s embarrassing that Garrett, who despite all the guff he has taken, has won more than half his games as Cowboys coach and still gets treated this way. Garrett also rallied this team down the stretch, despite myriad injuries on both sides of the ball, and guided the ship very well following the DWI manslaughter charges against Josh Brent and the resulting death of teammate Jerry Brown.

Garrett has grown as a leader despite the often difficult circumstances working with Jones. Garrett might not be a perfect coach, but he has dealt with some tough things.

And now comes this. Will Garrett survive? Who knows? You get the feeling it’s either now in the next month or two that Jones makes a change or next season.

If Jones were man enough, he’d dip into his cash reserves and end the misery now. He already has done enough damage to his team and his coach’s career as it is.

A trash article from a now-dead rag? I don't even see an author's name on it? It certainly has no support for anything it claims. I at least showed the actual connection between the coaches. This shows nothing. It even admits to it:

"Heck, I have zero proof whatsoever that the two men (or their henchmen) have spoken about the Cowboys’ job. But if you can’t see what’s going on here, it’s because you’re choosing not to."

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes... this has been a very good offseason.

Offense has been slightly upgraded.
Defense has been significantly upgraded.
Special teams has been massively upgraded.
Coaching is greatly improved and actually competent.

Definitely positioned to be a contender in the NFC at this point— if the players produce to expectations. Lots to be positive about.
I'm beyond amazed that several posters don't see this.

kskboys

Reaction score
I think their frustrations with Jones overrides everything else. And while I can understand that frustration to some extent, I can't see how it can blind someone to all of the good that is undeniably happening right now.
All signs are pointing toward Jerry having stepped back to let McC do his thing.

HotDog37

Reaction score
The thing is though, Jason Garrett would still be here if Jones had his way about it and didn't cave in to public and media pressure. We would still be hearing SJ in radio shows with the "well you know - we got a good mix of guys and we're getting there we trust Garrett and Dak, with Zeke to get us there" type banter. Jones absolutely wanted to keep Garrett. That bothers me because it was a losing proposition keeping an NFL head coach after all these years still learning on the job. It was as if the football world was wondering of Garrett could even coach a high school team properly or be a head coach at a premier college, but here we were straddled with Jason Garrett at the professional level. Unbelievable.

We have a very good mix of payers right now and good staff with a head coach that is an actual NFL level head coach and I am hopeful for the future -- if Jones will truly allow McCarthy to do it his way it could be special. Once he steps in and forces things it's over. Hopefully that won't happen.