2Lfy.gif

source.gif

crowd-facepalm-gif-2.gif

tenor.gif

LLLOOOLLL

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If that's what he's saying then he actually is saying that being Brees/Rogers level is a requirement to continue negotiating with Dak. In any case, I very much doubt his suggestion that the Cowboys are nearing the point of withdrawing the tag and walking away from Dak. I doubt they would feel comfortable assuming the #17 overall pick would be as good or better than Dak. Even with Dak not being Rodgers or Brees, the odds aren't very high of even getting a Dak level QB with that pick. There are a lot of Paxton Lynch and Blaine Gabbart level guys that get drafted.

Yeah, I don't see him saying that either. He's simply pointing out that the team might be looking at QBs as a leverage play. If Dak does not want to sign a deal the team can agree to, then it's logical that they bring in a young QB and ready the team for a time when they may have to play without Dak. Bottom line, you probably tag a QB for two years and then you better have an option.

Number 17 doesn't have to be as good as Dak is now. He just has to be able to step in and play QB in a year or two. The team can use the tag and then move Dak or simply release him if they can't come to an agreement.

The truth is that the number of 1st round QBs being busts are going down, year after year. The Offenses are dumbing down and it's easier for a QB to come out of College and succeed in the NFL. That trend is continuing in the NFL. Dak is actually proof of that.

Last edited:

Oz-of-Cowboy-Country

Reaction score
A team should never put all of its eggs in one basket. Adding dept and creating competition should be the number one goal for this already stacked team.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Shelter in place is driving a bunch of people mad...

Some didn't need an excuse to start with. Lol.

That being said, I see some people continuing to post out of their hopes rather than basic logic. Then when their hopes are crushed they can hate on Dak as payback just like Zeke. This is why whether you threaten to hold out like Zeke or "wait your turn" like Dak, it'll never be good enough to fickle, green-eyed fans so if you're a player get yours any dang way you choose.

starfan1

Reaction score
Of course you are..not.

My gosh..does everybody have to think like you in order to fit in.?

So you are saying Jerrah is an idiot for putting the video clip up on his website?

You underestimate your opponent my friend.

Look in the mirror real closely.

No offense, but your worst enemy maybe you.

Again nothing personal. This is all just entertainment we are talking about.

Keep it real.

Just admiring you ability to make countless threads about same stuff. Maybe you should check the mirror

garyo1954

Reaction score
There is some truth to every bigfoot/ufo/ghost story ever told.

I can see this. Jerry might be realizing his money ball way hasn't worked and coming out of his two decade coma at this juncture sees if a player ain't with 'em, he's agin 'em. (Whatever that means.)

Jarv

Loud pipes saves lives.
Reaction score
Some didn't need an excuse to start with. Lol.

That being said, I see some people continuing to post out of their hopes rather than basic logic. Then when their hopes are crushed they can hate on Dak as payback just like Zeke. This is why whether you threaten to hold out like Zeke or "wait your turn" like Dak, it'll never be good enough to fickle, green-eyed fans so if you're a player get yours any dang way you choose.
Lol...Dak hasn't signed his tag, he is litterally holding out dude,

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
A team should never put all of its eggs in one basket. Adding dept and creating competition should be the number one goal for this already stacked team.

Exactly right. Had we taken this strategy in previous season, we would not have been caught flat footed last year against Philly. But I suppose some think it's more important not to upset the apple cart and just let players skate. I think that's completely wrong but that just my opinion.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Just admiring you ability to make countless threads about same stuff. Maybe you should check the mirror
Sorry?

This is a Cowboys Forum?

In the last week I have talked about Jerrah the owner, Jerrah the GM, Clay the head of player development, the pandemic, Dak, the Draft..

and lots of other things.

Seems to me it's you that is narrowly focused.

These topics such as contracts, money and expectations all revolve around a common cast of characters.

It's not just me that posts conversations here.

Savey?

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Yeah, I don't see him saying that either. He's simply pointing out that the team might be looking at QBs as a leverage play. If Dak does not want to sign a deal the team can agree to, then it's logical that they bring in a young QB and ready the team for a time when they may have to play without Dak. Bottom line, you probably tag a QB for two years and then you better have an option.

Number 17 doesn't have to be as good as Dak is now. He just has to be able to step in and play QB in a year or two. The team can use the tag and then move Dak or simply release him if they can't come to an agreement.

The truth is that the number of 1st round QBs being busts are going down, year after year. The Offenses are dumbing down and it's easier for a QB to come out of College and succeed in the NFL. That trend is continuing in the NFL. Dak is actually proof of that.
There are a few things that work against taking a QB at #17 with the idea of him not needing to step for a year or two.

The first is that it's pretty tough to commit a first round pick to a player you don't plan to use for a year or two. That's a pick that could be used for immediate help.

Second it that two years of his cheapish rookie contract could be gone before he becomes the QB. If the point is to have a QB at a cheaper price, paying Dak a high rate under the franchise tag will eroding away the other QB's rookie contract seems counterproductive.

Finally, there is no certainty of a new QB being capable of stepping in at all, whereas the Cowboys already believe Dak can fill the role. In fact, odds are that a #17 pick would not be able to fill the role as well as Dak. That's not to say that he might not be as good or even better - of course that's possible. But it's a crap shoot vs. a player the team already feels confident can play at a high level. That's a tough choice to make, and even tougher still that it could require forfeiting a chance to have notable success the next couple of years before even knowing how that guy would turn out or not.

All that said, of course there is a price the team would not, and should not pay for Dak. But we really don't even know for sure what the impasse is. Some reports say the hang up is less about the dollars than that the Cowboys want to lock in Dak for more than the 4 years guys like Goff and Wentz signed for, and if that's the case (not saying for sure it is), then it could be the Cowboys asking for more than expected.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
People want to keep telling themselves the Cowboys aren't sure about Dak, despite the contract sticking point being the Cowboys want more years than Dak wants to give. :muttley:

starfan1

Reaction score
Sorry?

This is a Cowboys Forum?

In the last week I have talked about Jerrah the owner, Jerrah the GM, Clay the head of player development, the pandemic, Dak, the Draft..

and lots of other things.

Seems to me it's you that is narrowly focused.

These topics such as contracts, money and expectations all revolve around a common cast of characters.

It's not just me that posts conversations here.

Savey?
No you're right about that its not just you. rock on if it makes you feel good. Youre in all likelihood going to be proven wrong but hey post away.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
There are a few things that work against taking a QB at #17 with the idea of him not needing to step for a year or two.

The first is that it's pretty tough to commit a first round pick to a player you don't plan to use for a year or two. That's a pick that could be used for immediate help.

Second it that two years of his cheapish rookie contract could be gone before he becomes the QB. If the point is to have a QB at a cheaper price, paying Dak a high rate under the franchise tag will eroding away the other QB's rookie contract seems counterproductive.

Finally, there is no certainty of a new QB being capable of stepping in at all, whereas the Cowboys already believe Dak can fill the role. In fact, odds are that a #17 pick would not be able to fill the role as well as Dak. That's not to say that he might not be as good or even better - of course that's possible. But it's a crap shoot vs. a player the team already feels confident can play at a high level. That's a tough choice to make, and even tougher still that it could require forfeiting a chance to have notable success the next couple of years before even knowing how that guy would turn out or not.

All that said, of course there is a price the team would not, and should not pay for Dak. But we really don't even know for sure what the impasse is. Some reports say the hang up is less about the dollars than that the Cowboys want to lock in Dak for more than the 4 years guys like Goff and Wentz signed for, and if that's the case (not saying for sure it is), then it could be the Cowboys asking for more than expected.

Well, I don't believe, or at least I didn't see where the poster suggested that it was a certainty that the team would go this way in the upcoming draft so I think what was being said is that the team is thinking about this. I, for one, don't think it's a bad idea to give this serious thought. There are factors either way but to me, the idea of getting a reasonable contract in place for a period of 5 years or longer is definitely worth the price of a 17th overall pick. Lets face it, if you went this route and you got the Dak deal done, then you could easily trade that pick later down the line and get value out of the investment. At worst, you have a much better backup situation for a few years and you can conversely take the savings you receive from the QB negotiation and use it towards FA. There are advantages and disadvantages in either strategy. This used to be the way player negotiations were handled in the NFL, before it became a "Pay The Man" league. Teams would draft your replacement and let you know that if you didn't show up ready to play, you didn't have a roster spot. So this is really not unheard of. It's just not something you see commonly used anymore.

If it were me, I wouldn't spend #17 on a QB but I might spend a 2nd round pick on one for sure. I might do that either way. The Backup QB is still a problem for this team and we really should have learned our lesson on this years ago. When Tony went down and we ended up paying stupid money for guys who shouldn't be playing QB in any league anymore, we should have learned. Last year, when we had a win or go home game with Philly and we couldn't complete simple open passes to recievers, we should have learned. At some point, we have to learn or we will continue to fail.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
No you're right about that its not just you. rock on if it makes you feel good. Youre in all likelihood going to be proven wrong but hey post away.
Thanx bro.

Makes things more relaxed when you say it that way.

Unlike some..I do not post for more 'likes' on my post totals.

In fact, when I glance at it, it surprises me.

I just am here to share, not compete. That ain't me.

Talking and watching has always been part of the experience.

I started out on the old Dallas Morning News website. It was like living in a minority neighborhood.

Drive-by shootings in their forums happened everyday. Once somebody stalked a member down in real life and threatened them face to face.

From that point on, I have been very careful how I speak and make sure my points are easy to understand.

People have a right in our country to get a soapbox and speak if they want.

That's me. That's you.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the team is getting ready to make a big change at QB.

I think they have gone as far as they want to risk the team with Dak.

Aaron Roger's or Drew Brees he is not.

Quietly Dallas is looking at their options I believe.

They leaked that video clip of Jones interviewing a top QB in the draft the other day.

Clearly this is a message to Dak and his agent. Come to reasonable terms..

Or they will draft a QB high and withdraw the Tag on Dak and use his money elsewhere.

I do not think they are bluffing. Jerrah and team are going to get back control of the team for McCarthy going forward.

I think the team is willing to dance with Dak.

But I do not think they are willing to follow his lead.

McCarthy is now in charge. Not Garrett. Garrett was a pushover. McCarthy is a rock.

So while alot of us want to play draft experts and debate DBs and DL as our top picks..

QB maybe the real position needing a decision.

BTW-I am not looking for a fist fight here over Dak. Just observations from you guys about the team thinking.

That is all.

You may return to your regularly scheduled reruns on TV.

Comments?

:omg:
Time to switch to Dos X