I think the team is getting ready to make a big change at QB

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, I don't believe, or at least I didn't see where the poster suggested that it was a certainty that the team would go this way in the upcoming draft so I think what was being said is that the team is thinking about this. I, for one, don't think it's a bad idea to give this serious thought. There are factors either way but to me, the idea of getting a reasonable contract in place for a period of 5 years or longer is definitely worth the price of a 17th overall pick. Lets face it, if you went this route and you got the Dak deal done, then you could easily trade that pick later down the line and get value out of the investment. At worst, you have a much better backup situation for a few years and you can conversely take the savings you receive from the QB negotiation and use it towards FA. There are advantages and disadvantages in either strategy. This used to be the way player negotiations were handled in the NFL, before it became a "Pay The Man" league. Teams would draft your replacement and let you know that if you didn't show up ready to play, you didn't have a roster spot. So this is really not unheard of. It's just not something you see commonly used anymore.

If it were me, I wouldn't spend #17 on a QB but I might spend a 2nd round pick on one for sure. I might do that either way. The Backup QB is still a problem for this team and we really should have learned our lesson on this years ago. When Tony went down and we ended up paying stupid money for guys who shouldn't be playing QB in any league anymore, we should have learned. Last year, when we had a win or go home game with Philly and we couldn't complete simple open passes to recievers, we should have learned. At some point, we have to learn or we will continue to fail.
He didn't say certain, no, but he did say he believed the team was "getting ready to make a big change at QB". He gave the reasons why he feels that way, and I gave my reasons why I feel differently. I'm not being hostile, just discussing another side, which is exactly what the OP said he was looking for. He asked for comments. I suspect he is just trying to spur some discussion.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
Tanking will not happen.
This team has many good players, and they will not waste a year on a chance to get Lawrence.
No guarantees you will be the worse team.
Not sure why fans insist upon this silly notion to tank.
And no way a team is trading 2 1st round picks for Dak. He is good, but not that good, not yet.
Not only that but Trevor Lawrence is overrated. He wasn't even the best QB in the ACC last year.

cowboyec

Reaction score
your threads are becoming a national treasure.
i may not always agree but you and i share the same passion about the same team.
one day...they will collect yours and make them available.
leather bound.
right next to corso's and melonfeud's.
:thumbup:

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Is there a time limit to where he has to sign the tag vs. getting a new deal worked out?
I think it's just a matter of him sitting out and not getting paid for however long he refuses to sign the tag. There is a point in the season, however, where a player either has to sign or he does not get credit for a year of service and he forfeits all his pay for the season. I'm thinking that's by week , but I'm not sure of that.

morasp

Reaction score
Well, I don't believe, or at least I didn't see where the poster suggested that it was a certainty that the team would go this way in the upcoming draft so I think what was being said is that the team is thinking about this. I, for one, don't think it's a bad idea to give this serious thought. There are factors either way but to me, the idea of getting a reasonable contract in place for a period of 5 years or longer is definitely worth the price of a 17th overall pick. Lets face it, if you went this route and you got the Dak deal done, then you could easily trade that pick later down the line and get value out of the investment. At worst, you have a much better backup situation for a few years and you can conversely take the savings you receive from the QB negotiation and use it towards FA. There are advantages and disadvantages in either strategy. This used to be the way player negotiations were handled in the NFL, before it became a "Pay The Man" league. Teams would draft your replacement and let you know that if you didn't show up ready to play, you didn't have a roster spot. So this is really not unheard of. It's just not something you see commonly used anymore.

If it were me, I wouldn't spend #17 on a QB but I might spend a 2nd round pick on one for sure. I might do that either way. The Backup QB is still a problem for this team and we really should have learned our lesson on this years ago. When Tony went down and we ended up paying stupid money for guys who shouldn't be playing QB in any league anymore, we should have learned. Last year, when we had a win or go home game with Philly and we couldn't complete simple open passes to recievers, we should have learned. At some point, we have to learn or we will continue to fail.
Great points, I like that idea. I was thinking back to when Aikman got hurt and Babe Laufenberg was our backup. The next year Jimmy went out and signed Steve Beuerlein to avoid a repeat of that situation.

Sandyf

Reaction score
Please Jerry/Stephen get Dak to sign so we lose countless number of threads and posts about Dallas done with Dak. Then let the world start and post on threads about how much Dallas overpaid Dak and then when we go 13-3 make the NFC Championship game let there be peace in the world.

SSoup

Reaction score
Oh, whew, I was worried a day might go by without you spamming us with another of your constant anti-Dak threads.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Great points, I like that idea. I was thinking back to when Aikman got hurt and Babe Laufenberg was our backup. The next year Jimmy went out and signed Steve Beuerlein to avoid a repeat of that situation.
Trading for Beuerlein only cost the Cowboys 4th round pick though. Committing a first rounder to a guy that may only be a backup is a much tougher decision.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
I think the team is getting ready to make a big change at QB.

I think they have gone as far as they want to risk the team with Dak.

Aaron Roger's or Drew Brees he is not.

Quietly Dallas is looking at their options I believe.

They leaked that video clip of Jones interviewing a top QB in the draft the other day.

Clearly this is a message to Dak and his agent. Come to reasonable terms..

Or they will draft a QB high and withdraw the Tag on Dak and use his money elsewhere.

I do not think they are bluffing. Jerrah and team are going to get back control of the team for McCarthy going forward.

I think the team is willing to dance with Dak.

But I do not think they are willing to follow his lead.

McCarthy is now in charge. Not Garrett. Garrett was a pushover. McCarthy is a rock.

So while alot of us want to play draft experts and debate DBs and DL as our top picks..

QB maybe the real position needing a decision.

BTW-I am not looking for a fist fight here over Dak. Just observations from you guys about the team thinking.

That is all.

You may return to your regularly scheduled reruns on TV.

Comments?

:omg:
I've lost count at the number of you hate Dak threads. Ran out of toes and fingers a long time ago.

ultron

Reaction score
Why do you keep pushing this narrative they aren’t going to move on from Dak

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He didn't say certain, no, but he did say he believed the team was "getting ready to make a big change at QB". He gave the reasons why he feels that way, and I gave my reasons why I feel differently. I'm not being hostile, just discussing another side, which is exactly what the OP said he was looking for. He asked for comments. I suspect he is just trying to spur some discussion.

No, I don't think you are being hostile. I just think that there leverage points on all sides of this and it's simply a matter of if you want to use them or not. There are good moves to be made by the team, regardless of what happens in this negotiation and one of them is to go out and get a capable young QB to back somebody up. That's a no brain deal to me but we never do it. I hope that McCarthy is smart enough to go ahead and do the right thing for the team, despite fan base opinion or what have you, when it comes to the QB position.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
The leaked video of the Cowboys discussing drafting Jalen Hurts is no threat to Dak. Jalen is a project player, maybe as many as 3 seasons away from being ready to step into Dak's shoes. When did the OP become a Sooner fanboy that thinks that QB is pro-ready in 2020?

:laugh::lmao::lmao2:

morasp

Reaction score
Trading for Beuerlein only cost the Cowboys 4th round pick though. Committing a first rounder to a guy that may only be a backup is a much tougher decision.
True, but I wouldn't be against round three and on if a good candidate fell though.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score

He did. He learned the lesson and what's more, we traded Beuerlein down the road for more then what we spent.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No, I don't think you are being hostile. I just think that there leverage points on all sides of this and it's simply a matter of if you want to use them or not. There are good moves to be made by the team, regardless of what happens in this negotiation and one of them is to go out and get a capable young QB to back somebody up. That's a no brain deal to me but we never do it. I hope that McCarthy is smart enough to go ahead and do the right thing for the team, despite fan base opinion or what have you, when it comes to the QB position.
I don't disagree that there are leverage points on all sides, I just disagree with the idea the Cowboys are getting ready to make a big change at QB. I think it's all just posturing, which I think may be what you are saying as well.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but I wouldn't be against round three and on if a good candidate fell though.
Me either. I think the Cowboys have made a mistake over the years not drafting a developmental QB every few years. Seems like they have learned that lesson though after drafting Dak in 2016 and White in 2018.