Video: I think Urban Meyer will be next Dallas HC

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
I find the idea that Garrett would be giving coaching guidance to Meyer preposterous in any case, and even more so after being canned as coach.

I don't foresee anyway that he would be in on the "coaching" side of things at all. But more on the player relationship side of things, which is something Garrett seems to be really good at and an area that a lot of College coaches struggle with at this level.

I can't see any other reason to not have moved on, if they weren't trying to work something out. No way can i see them retaining him as a coach, not will he be the GM (Jerry is not giving that up) so I think they will come up with something in the FO for him to do. For 1 year.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
not necessarily coaching advice but NFL advice. Not that Garrett has much of that either.

It's entirely conceivable.

Jerry has had a holdover/senior guy multiple times. Sparano for Garrett at OC. Callahan. The oline guy from the 90s. Kiffin. Arguably Marinelli.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
I don't foresee anyway that he would be in on the "coaching" side of things at all. But more on the player relationship side of things, which is something Garrett seems to be really good at and an area that a lot of College coaches struggle with at this level.

I can't see any other reason to not have moved on, if they weren't trying to work something out. No way can i see them retaining him as a coach, not will he be the GM (Jerry is not giving that up) so I think they will come up with something in the FO for him to do. For 1 year.
Urban doesn't need help with player relationships in the NFL. Maybe other college coaches might. As far as not being able to see any other reason to have not moved on, well it's Jerry, it might be something meaningless that's holding this up.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Urban doesn't need help with player relationships in the NFL. Maybe other college coaches might. As far as not being able to see any other reason to have not moved on, well it's Jerry, it might be something meaningless that's holding this up.
Yea that’s possible. But my guess is that something is in the works. That’s all.

And you or I have any idea what UM will need or not need at this level. He has never done it before. And UM may not be the college coach target.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
Yea that’s possible. But my guess is that something is in the works. That’s all.

And you or I have any idea what UM will need or not need at this level. He has never done it before. And UM may not be the college coach target.
I think Urban knows what he needs, and i think Garrett is not in that picture. As far as Urban not being the target, you could be 100% correct about that. It's all hope and we'll see for now.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
If you go back and listen to Jerry, he made a comment about how it takes a college coach time to get adjusted to the NFL and would not be keen on going in that direction. Which leads me to believe, the delay with Garrett is all about convincing him to stay on as a consultant to the Head Coach to help with that part of the transition, from college to pros. A 1 year contract as a consultant is what I believe is being worked on right now. This benefits both Jerry and Garrett. Now what powers, if any, Garrett would have or what his exact role would be, I have no idea, but I don't think Garrett is going to be fired and I don't think he will be the HC next year. And I do believe that either the Baylor coach or Meyer will be the coach next year.

Jerry Jones isn’t that smart to scheme something like that. C’mon now. This is all wishful thinking.

TheDuke

How 'Bout Dem Cowboys
Reaction score
If you go back and listen to Jerry, he made a comment about how it takes a college coach time to get adjusted to the NFL and would not be keen on going in that direction. Which leads me to believe, the delay with Garrett is all about convincing him to stay on as a consultant to the Head Coach to help with that part of the transition, from college to pros. A 1 year contract as a consultant is what I believe is being worked on right now. This benefits both Jerry and Garrett. Now what powers, if any, Garrett would have or what his exact role would be, I have no idea, but I don't think Garrett is going to be fired and I don't think he will be the HC next year. And I do believe that either the Baylor coach or Meyer will be the coach next year.
Explain how this benefits Garrett. I’d like to hear you spin that.

Western

Reaction score
In this Washington Post article from today, it states that Urban Meyer has interest in NFL head coaching vacancies.

"Former Ohio State and Florida coach Urban Meyer could be a front office candidate for the Commanders but also appears interested in pursuing NFL head coaching vacancies elsewhere, a person with knowledge of the situation said."

visionary

Reaction score

Garrett can have the same power he now has, exactly nothing

mahoneybill

Reaction score

Wouldn’t surprise me

Wood

Reaction score
Well definitely not Washington, they just hired Rivera. I do believe they already know who they're getting though.

Doesn't seem to be in rush at all. Whoever it is, I just hope they have terms in their contract that he gets to run show.

cern

Reaction score
Tom Coughlin 2.0?? Why not? It failed in Jacksonville.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
Personally I don't like the idea, but I mostly don't like it because I don't believe his system works in the NFL. I'm not sure he himself is suited for the hostility that can come from a fanbase as rabid as the Cowboys. Add to that I really don't believe that most college coaches do well in the NFL. My memory isn't the best, but I really can't remember any NCAA Coach other than Jimmy and Carroll who came to the NFL and succeeded.

cityochamps

What Just Happened Here
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Personally I don't like the idea, but I mostly don't like it because I don't believe his system works in the NFL. I'm not sure he himself is suited for the hostility that can come from a fanbase as rabid as the Cowboys. Add to that I really don't believe that most college coaches do well in the NFL. My memory isn't the best, but I really can't remember any NCAA Coach other than Jimmy and Carroll who came to the NFL and succeeded.
Chip Kelly Tom Coughlin Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll version 2; the gap from college to the NFL isn't as large as it once was