Video: I think Urban Meyer will be next Dallas HC

Creeper

Reaction score
Meyer would be an immediate upgrade over Garrett. I think Meyer has a leg up on Garrett as far as talent evaluation and game preparation. But Meyer is a control guy and I don't see Jerry giving up control, and even if he tried, I can see friction right off the bat.

zeke21

Reaction score
I think the Skins have done well.. I think Riverboat ron will be a good fit for them. Giants will step up too.

NFC East is going to be tough next year. Not sure its a great time to have a college coach on his training wheels.. having said that I do think Meyer would be a good fit for this team and could make the transition work.

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
I think the Skins have done well.. I think Riverboat ron will be a good fit for them. Giants will step up too.

NFC East is going to be tough next year. Not sure its a great time to have a college coach on his training wheels.. having said that I do think Meyer would be a good fit for this team and could make the transition work.

Meanwhile we still have Jerry and The Clapper. Along with this overrated *** roster, We will be in 4th place next year, watch.

zeke21

Reaction score
Meanwhile we still have Jerry and The Clapper. Along with this overrated *** roster, We will be in 4th place next year, watch.

Not sure.. without cause more stir.. it depends on Dak. If we pay Dak it means we probably lose half of the FA's and that sets us back all over the field.

I think if we play the Dak situation smart.. keep a few FA's and then recruit for defence first.. particularly our DLine. Change HC, OC and DC.. then I think this roster can still make it work.

I think Skins and Giants are still a few years away from real turnarounds. Both need to find QB's.. improve their secondaries heaps.. and Giants need an Oline. Our biggest threat next year is still the Eagles. Eagles have their franchise QB locked up. their defence is good. They have guys coming back from injury and their coach is very good.

Unless we change it up then yes.. we could find ourselves out of playoff action for many years to come

MysteryIceGuro

Reaction score
Not sure.. without cause more stir.. it depends on Dak. If we pay Dak it means we probably lose half of the FA's and that sets us back all over the field.

I think if we play the Dak situation smart.. keep a few FA's and then recruit for defence first.. particularly our DLine. Change HC, OC and DC.. then I think this roster can still make it work.

I think Skins and Giants are still a few years away from real turnarounds. Both need to find QB's.. improve their secondaries heaps.. and Giants need an Oline. Our biggest threat next year is still the Eagles. Eagles have their franchise QB locked up. their defence is good. They have guys coming back from injury and their coach is very good.

Unless we change it up then yes.. we could find ourselves out of playoff action for many years to come

Skins and Giants have QB’s. They both have high upsides. They will be fine at QB. They were rookies put in poor situations. Once the teams get fixed up, their QB’s will take off. We had a good team, but we were held down by our QB and coaching. Not only do we have to fix the entire staff, we have to resign a lot of people, draft well, and get a new QB before Washington and NY fix themselves. This will be impossible with Jerry at the helm. Eagles will probably top the division for a while while we rebuild.

I agree on Dak though. He is the make or break. If we pay him, we will be doomed for his entire tenure here. If we tag or let him go, we will have a chance... not for long though.

zeke21

Reaction score
Skins and Giants have QB’s. They both have high upsides. They will be fine at QB. They were rookies put in poor situations. Once the teams get fixed up, their QB’s will take off. We had a good team, but we were held down by our QB and coaching. Not only do we have to fix the entire staff, we have to resign a lot of people, draft well, and get a new QB before Washington and NY fix themselves. This will be impossible with Jerry at the helm. Eagles will probably top the division for a while while we rebuild.

I agree on Dak though. He is the make or break. If we pay him, we will be doomed for his entire tenure here. If we tag or let him go, we will have a chance... not for long though.
Hmmm not sold on Haskins and Keenum is a big fat no. However they invested a first round pick into a highly rated QB. Hard to rate Jones.. like his arm (it is a canon) but not sure.. Agree that both Haskins and Jones have high ceilings.. like very high.. but still think they are 2-3 seasons away in terms of team building around them.

ghst187

Reaction score
Well definitely not Washington, they just hired Rivera. I do believe they already know who they're getting though.

yeah lot of folks in skin country thought Meyer was coming but Rivera actually was prob a good hire for them.
If we reup JG when Meyer (or Rowdy or Chan Gailey, or your mother) was a possibility then Jerry deserves a 0-16 season...or at least more 8-8s

fansince68

Reaction score
An extension for Garrett as "consultant" would be a terrible idea. Yet more muddled authority and accountability.

But it would be so Jerry. Not just for the muddle, but then he'd keep alive a dream of getting Garrett back in the saddle.
Why would hiring a "failure" as a consultant be a good idea? Aren't we trying to change the culture that has been a failure for 9.5 years? Garrett has been the head of all failures during this period. Garrett just needs to go, even to just pacify a very loyal and passionate fan base.

OldJarhead

Reaction score
Chip Kelly Tom Coughlin Jim Harbaugh, Pete Carroll version 2; the gap from college to the NFL isn't as large as it once was

Chip Kelly? Really?
I'll give you Harbaugh, like I said, my memory is not perfect. I did mention Carroll and as for Coughlin, I think it took him a while, but he had a bunch of NFL experience prior to being named a HC.
As for the gap between the college game and the pro game, I think you are short selling that. I believe it to be huge. Just look at the roster difference. Player availability, practice limitations, and contract issues. Those are just the beginning of a list of major differences.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
In this Washington Post article from today, it states that Urban Meyer has interest in NFL head coaching vacancies.

"Former Ohio State and Florida coach Urban Meyer could be a front office candidate for the Commanders but also appears interested in pursuing NFL head coaching vacancies elsewhere, a person with knowledge of the situation said."

Interesting

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
I find the idea that Garrett would be giving coaching guidance to Meyer preposterous in any case, and even more so after being canned as coach.

Clappy is going to be giving Urban Meyer coaching advice?

raw

LittleD

Reaction score
Garrett will teach the new HC on how to go 8-8

Right, we just need a consultant to teach our new HC how to clap after every play and make bonehead calls in every 4th quarter. Right!

LittleD

Reaction score
Meyer would be an immediate upgrade over Garrett. I think Meyer has a leg up on Garrett as far as talent evaluation and game preparation. But Meyer is a control guy and I don't see Jerry giving up control, and even if he tried, I can see friction right off the bat.

Greg Roman of the Ravens would be a giant upgrade over either one and doesn't need any consultant handholding.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Explain how this benefits Garrett. I’d like to hear you spin that.

Well I thought it would be pretty obvious. Paycheck vs no paycheck. Not many openings in the NFL for HC this year and the only 1 that would be a good fit for him is the Giants job and they seem to want to go in a different direction. So this way, he stays in the Organization, adds to his resume with a different job title, and gets a paycheck.

cowboyblue22

Reaction score
Hmmm not sold on Haskins and Keenum is a big fat no. However they invested a first round pick into a highly rated QB. Hard to rate Jones.. like his arm (it is a canon) but not sure.. Agree that both Haskins and Jones have high ceilings.. like very high.. but still think they are 2-3 seasons away in terms of team building around them.
the skins defense will be really good this coming year they have a lot of the pieces there already and when they get that young from ohio state they will be really good

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
My bet it will be announced this week. It's all pointing to Mayer. He's not going to Washington. Lots of talking heads are saying Mayer. This makes sense, someone to come in and make a run year one.... The FOX’s college football pregame show Urban was there smiling like a man who just got a big coaching payday.

Not gonna happen

garyv

Reaction score
Personally I don't like the idea, but I mostly don't like it because I don't believe his system works in the NFL. I'm not sure he himself is suited for the hostility that can come from a fanbase as rabid as the Cowboys. Add to that I really don't believe that most college coaches do well in the NFL. My memory isn't the best, but I really can't remember any NCAA Coach other than Jimmy and Carroll who came to the NFL and succeeded.

I almost starting to agree with you on Urban that he might not be the right choice and starting to think after reading alot that Roman might be the right choice for our current team.