I want Norv Turner as HC

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
rcaldw;1345486 said:
Ok boys, I can stand all the "hee hawing" :), just remember what side of this line we were on if he comes to town. I don't want any bandwagoning once we start winning. And, just like I've done in the past, I'll admit if I'm wrong if I'm wrong. Will you be as honest if you are wrong? :)

I go on record right now. Norv will set us back years.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1345479 said:
rcaldw, that is just foolishness. I know you know better than that. It's like saying quarterback is just one another position on the field like guard or safety.

I'm not saying that every coach is suited to be a headcoach, you are right, I know better than that. I'm saying that it is my opinion that Norv can be as successful, in the right situation, as a head coach, as he has been as an OC. Why? Because I think he is a bright, well organized, guy who has a fire to win.

And to those who took a gentle shot at me with the "I know Aikman likes him and all...but", my opinion of Turner has nothing to do with Aikman liking him or not liking him. I honestly believe he is a very good coach.

Whether Turner comes here or doesn't come here, I will have hopes for the next candidate and for our next season. I don't think Garrett is ready. And I also think that Wade Phillips would be a mistake. Just my opinion. :)

MagicMan

Reaction score
rcaldw;1344814 said:
I see a lot of posts saying that people are "praying" that Turner isn't the guy. I thought I would just say that there are some of us who actually think he would make a very good choice. I'm one of those. Why?

1. I actually think he is a good coach. Period. OC or HC doesn't matter to me. Good coaching is good coaching and Turner is a good coach.

2. He connects us to the best times we have had as a franchise (in recent history). I like that. I got really tired of New York Giants stories.

3. I think he will help Romo AND Garrett in their maturation. That is a good thing.

4. I think he represents a connection with past PLAYERS who will begin to emerge again and have some influence on the current guys. I like that. Instead of Jim Burt hanging around the team, how about some of our guys?

I'm sure there are other good reasons, but I'm headed out the door and these are off the top of my head. But I thought I would just represent for those of us who want Norv Turner.

I'm one. No Phillips. No Rex Ryan. No Rivera. Bring back Norv.

:lmao2: Thank you Mrs. Turner.......

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
2. He connects us to the best times we have had as a franchise (in recent history). I like that.

If we were going for that Jerry should have sold his soul to the Devil to get Jimmy back.

I know Jimmy doesn't want to come back but maybe the Devil could be more convincing.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
Fine put me on record as this Norv is a terrible headcoach and this team will be destined for the lottery under his tenure from lack of leadership.

Is he a great Offensive coordinator yes but I am sorry the guy has sucked as a HC at 2 stops and is nothing but a retread HC who sucks.

Wade Phillips is another retread who has shown to be a mediocre head coach at 2 stops but hey it still be a step up over Norv

Like I have stated I am all for giving guys a second chance as a headcoach but come on a 3rd try with that much history is down right stupid in my opinion.

I rather gamble on another young assistant funny how Jerry is looking at a weak Coach and not another strong coach Like Bill. I feel like Campo is coming back to town:bang2:

SkinsandTerps

Commanders Forever
Reaction score
Kangaroo;1345729 said:
Fine put me on record as this Norv is a terrible headcoach and this team will be destined for the lottery under his tenure from lack of leadership.

Is he a great Offensive coordinator yes but I am sorry the guy has sucked as a HC at 2 stops and is nothing but a retread HC who sucks.

Wade Phillips is another retread who has shown to be a mediocre head coach at 2 stops but hey it still be a step up over Norv

Like I have stated I am all for giving guys a second chance as a headcoach but come on a 3rd try with that much history is down right stupid in my opinion.

I rather gamble on another young assistant funny how Jerry is looking at a weak Coach and not another strong coach Like Bill. I feel like Campo is coming back to town:bang2:

First, there isnt a lottery in football for top draft picks.

Second, I am all for the Cowboys signing him. :D

Seriously, if he gets signed as a HC, I really dont see how it would be a good thing. Now if he becomes an OC than it makes sense, and good sense.

wileedog

Reaction score
Idgit;1344922 said:
I don't want Turner.
Two points in his favor, however, are how much he really helped Alex Smith this year, who looked absolutely awful the year before Turner arrived as HC. Continuing improvement for Tony Romo is a very high priority for next year.

Am I the only one who thinks that Romo doesn't need so much help that we have to base our HC decision on getting him some?

He needs a slightly better O-line, a consistent running game and a defense that can stop someone occasionally. Not an entire coaching staff hired for him.

Shake_Tiller

Reaction score
Several posters have said of the Norv Turner opponents, “If you are wrong, will you admit it?” I’m sure every Cowboys fan wants the team to win, and those that think hiring Turner is a bad idea would be extremely pleased to be “wrong,” should he be the choice, as it appears, but I fail to see how it’s wrong to oppose a choice of someone who has such a poor track record.

Say Jerry Jones were to re-hire Dave Campo as head coach… it’s probably fair to say that the board would have a general aneurysm. But say Campo were to win… would those people be “wrong” who felt the choice to re-hire him was poor? I don’t think so. The fact is, any decision can lead to a surprising outcome. Illogic happens.

I think Norv Turner will be hired as head coach, and I think, based on his record, it’s a bad decision. But I’ll surely be happy to be proven “wrong.”

Illogic happens.

Kangaroo

Reaction score
SkinsandTerps;1345762 said:
First, there isnt a lottery in football for top draft picks.

Second, I am all for the Cowboys signing him. :D

Seriously, if he gets signed as a HC, I really dont see how it would be a good thing. Now if he becomes an OC than it makes sense, and good sense.

I referring to a top 5 pick which is like hitting the lottery when it comes to the NFL Draft so I call it the Lottery

ouvan59

Reaction score
rcaldw;1345496 said:
I'm saying that it is my opinion that Norv can be as successful, in the right situation, as a head coach, as he has been as an OC.

Therein lies the rub. The common perception is that Norv Turner is a failure as a HC but has been a successful OC. The truth of the matter is that he has ridden the triplets to millions and millions of dollars and a reputation as an offensive genius without actually earning it.

Guess how many top 10 offenses Norv Turner has coached in the last 13 years without the triplets? ONE!!!

What Norv can do is turn a bad offense into a mediocre one. He produces good fantasy running backs and bad teams.

Henry

Reaction score
rcaldw;1344865 said:
One Wild Card win is one more playoff win than the great Bill Parcells had here in 4 years.

I'll take a Wild Card win right now, wouldn't you?

Uh,

Parcells four years in Dallas, his worst stint as a HC:

32-30, two playoff appearances.

Norv's first four years with the Commanders:

26-37-1, no playoff appearances whatsoever
Then the Commanders went 6-10
Then Snyder bought the team

If you are a big fan of underachieving 9-win teams, complete with late-season swoons, Norv's your guy.

If you are desperately trying to get over that 9-win hump, if you want a guy who has successfully worked with a hands-on owner, of you want a guy who has proven capable of dealing with exceptionally talented yet ego-maniacal WRs, Norv's just about the last person on the planet you want coaching your team.

But what do I know, I'm just a Commander fan. :)

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
wileedog;1345968 said:
Am I the only one who thinks that Romo doesn't need so much help that we have to base our HC decision on getting him some?

He needs a slightly better O-line, a consistent running game and a defense that can stop someone occasionally. Not an entire coaching staff hired for him.

You're not the only one. More help for Romo a plus, but it's not the basis for hiring a HC, by any means. Really, I thought Norv's connection with Fisher was more interesting, because I want desperately to believe Norv would be a stop-gap, at most.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Idgit;1347043 said:
You're not the only one. More help for Romo a plus, but it's not the basis for hiring a HC, by any means. Really, I thought Norv's connection with Fisher was more interesting, because I want desperately to believe Norv would be a stop-gap, at most.

Hmm...Interesting theory.

rcaldw

Reaction score
I just want you boys to keep lining up and putting your name on the line (as important as all this is in the forum :) ), because if/when Norval shows up here, we are winning some football games. I predict a good season. I just have a good feeling about it.

If he doesn't show up, I will still be hoping and watching and rooting for them as always. :)

But no revisionist history here. You guys who think he will bomb here, I don't want you coming back next season and talking about how you were "never really against him, you just thought there were better options." I've seen some real fervor and venom against Norv.

Henry

Reaction score
rcaldw;1347082 said:
I just want you boys to keep lining up and putting your name on the line (as important as all this is in the forum :) ), because if/when Norval shows up here, we are winning some football games. I predict a good season. I just have a good feeling about it.

If he doesn't show up, I will still be hoping and watching and rooting for them as always. :)

But no revisionist history here. You guys who think he will bomb here, I don't want you coming back next season and talking about how you were "never really against him, you just thought there were better options." I've seen some real fervor and venom against Norv.

I admit I've got some venom stored up for Norv. But to be fair he earned it with me. I watched the guy for seven years and he's a lousy coach. Actually, he's worse than lousy. He's good enough to get you 9 games. Every once in awhile his team will flash greatness. He's just good enough to not fire, but never accomplishes anything. Think Wayne Fontes or Denny Green ... except not as good as those guys.

Every year with Norv we thought we'd turn that corner. Every year, until one day you turn around and it's been seven years, and you have exactly the same mediocre team you started with.

I have no agenda here, other than I am interested to see if anyone on this board actually thinks hiring Turner is a good idea. If you think he'll suddenly turn into Bill Belichek then God bless ya. I think he'd be a terrible coach for you guys, and I sincerely hope Jerry hires him.

For what it's worth.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Henry;1347114 said:
I admit I've got some venom stored up for Norv. But to be fair he earned it with me. I watched the guy for seven years and he's a lousy coach. Actually, he's worse than lousy. He's good enough to get you 9 games. Every once in awhile his team will flash greatness. He's just good enough to not fire, but never accomplishes anything. Think Wayne Fontes or Denny Green ... except not as good as those guys.

Every year with Norv we thought we'd turn that corner. Every year, until one day you turn around and it's been seven years, and you have exactly the same mediocre team you started with.

I have no agenda here, other than I am interested to see if anyone on this board actually thinks hiring Turner is a good idea. If you think he'll suddenly turn into Bill Belichek then God bless ya. I think he'd be a terrible coach for you guys, and I sincerely hope Jerry hires him.

For what it's worth.

Henry, wouldn't it be even worse if Norv WAS hired here and DID turn out to be a great coach for us? That would be a Commanders nightmare.

superpunk

Reaction score
rcaldw;1347082 said:

I'm sure those of us who really don't want Norv here will be more than happy if he manages to not completely ruin our team like he did to his other two failed attempts. It'll be a far cry from the current situation, where those who were so firmly against Parcells, his Jersey ways, and even hearing his Giants stories (honestly, I can't believe I read that) are now trying to sell the rest of us on one of the worst head coaches available.

But hey - at least there are ties to the early 90s, and he won't be mean to our QBs.

rcaldw

Reaction score
superpunk;1347123 said:
It'll be a far cry from the current situation...
at least there are ties to the early 90s

You got it SP. You put it very well, I agree with you completely. ;) :)

And yes, I'll say it again, since you couldn't believe you read it the first time. I got tired of hearing his Giants stories. I'm a Cowboys fan, this is America's Team, we are the New York Yankees of Football, the Giants organization can't tie our shoes, that is how I feel about it. If you don't, that's fine, but I don't want to hear his Giants stories when he is the head coach of America's team. And like I've already said. If Turner becomes our head coach and "stinks it up" (boy we sure have been riding high these last 4 years), then I'll eat my words. But if he does a good job and we have some great years, just remember all the "he can't coach" posts.