CFZ I was at Eagles Training Camp; here is a report on the enemy

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
So, I was invited to see camp by a friend who works for the Eagles. I used to go a few times back in the day when Juan Castillo was my neighbor and I was friendly with Jon Runyan. Here is what I saw.

We have, by far, the best QB in the division. Jalen Hurts still has no consistent timing with his receivers, nor does he have particularly good downfield vision. Being an Eagles fan must be frustrating, since watching AJ Brown and Davonte Smith, they clearly have real talent and speed at the WR position. Toss in Chez Watkins, and they would be very dangerous if they had a real QB.

To add to this, their offensive line is no joke. Hurts has plenty of time to make those throws, but just can't do it with any consistency. Twice he had 4+ seconds in the pocket and missed receivers who had their man beat. He did keep a few plays alive with his legs, but with that line, just throw the damn ball.

Mishnew is what he is, a capable backup.

Carson Strong threw two balls that went 65+ yards in the air, and it didn't look like he was even trying. He has the arm strength of Hercules. Too bad he has the mobility of a pregnant cow. In the right system he could be a real player. I know they want to work with him and hopes he can become the #2.

I am 6'4", 275. Jordan Mailata walked past me. I felt small.

Miles Sanders could be a #1 back, but he just gets hurt too often, and does have a bit of the fumbles. He does have the talent.

On one play, Jordan Davis destroyed a blocker, shed another, and ran one of their scat backs down from behind.

The Eagles with a real QB would have a chance to go deep in the playoffs. Right now, they will finish second in the division and go out in the first round.

Just my humble opinion based on a limited look.
Thanks for this post and agree about Sanders.
Nothing in Phillys backfield at RB is very imposing.
Sander, Gainwell, Scott, I would take Pollard over their entire backfield.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
It’s sad when long time Dallas fan like us wanna see success for the wrong reasons—not as much for Cowboy glory as simply to silence the Trolls.
Sadly gone are the days when you when the NFC East you were going to win the Super Bowl like in the late 80s and early 90s. The Cowboys, Washington and Giants had some of the greatest offensive lines the history of the NFL. The Giants and Eagles had the best defenses. Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson as head coaches. Bill Belichick and Norv Turner as assistants. Lawrence Taylor, Emmitt Smith, Reggie White and Daryl Green as players. Wow!!!!!:omg: I miss those days.:oldcouple:

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Isn't this Hurt's 2nd season? I don't judge QBs to harshly until their 2nd or 3rd season. After that, it's what have they won?
What has Dak won? I'm a Cowboy and Bills fan. Josh Allen's first 2 seasons he had the lowest completion percentages in the league. Today I would take him over Dak in a heartbeat.

He played about 1/2 a season then all of last season. So yes he has some time to learn and improve yet.
However the issue is the same fans that said Dak sucked right away say Hurts needs time. When clearly Dak has out played Hurts since day one. The double standard thing.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
So, I was invited to see camp by a friend who works for the Eagles. I used to go a few times back in the day when Juan Castillo was my neighbor and I was friendly with Jon Runyan. Here is what I saw.

We have, by far, the best QB in the division. Jalen Hurts still has no consistent timing with his receivers, nor does he have particularly good downfield vision. Being an Eagles fan must be frustrating, since watching AJ Brown and Davonte Smith, they clearly have real talent and speed at the WR position. Toss in Chez Watkins, and they would be very dangerous if they had a real QB.

To add to this, their offensive line is no joke. Hurts has plenty of time to make those throws, but just can't do it with any consistency. Twice he had 4+ seconds in the pocket and missed receivers who had their man beat. He did keep a few plays alive with his legs, but with that line, just throw the damn ball.

Carson Strong threw two balls that went 65+ yards in the air, and it didn't look like he was even trying. He has the arm strength of Hercules. Too bad he has the mobility of a pregnant cow. In the right system he could be a real player. I know they want to work with him and hopes he can become the #2.

Miles Sanders could be a #1 back, but he just gets hurt too often, and does have a bit of the fumbles. He does have the talent.

On one play, Jordan Davis destroyed a blocker, shed another, and ran one of their scat backs down from behind.

The Eagles with a real QB would have a chance to go deep in the playoffs. Right now, they will finish second in the division and go out in the first round.

Did you need a bath afterwards?
:lmao:
In all seriousness thanks for posting your observations.

HanD

Reaction score
Isn't this Hurt's 2nd season? I don't judge QBs to harshly until their 2nd or 3rd season. After that, it's what have they won?
What has Dak won? I'm a Cowboy and Bills fan. Josh Allen's first 2 seasons he had the lowest completion percentages in the league. Today I would take him over Dak in a heartbeat.

He's going into his third. It's a big year for him imo. All the weapons and the ol to succeed. No excuses.

GimmeTheBall!

Junior College Transfer
Reaction score

Jerry says Dak can play for 10 more years. So it will be a years-long experiment with Dak, so do not hold your breath, playmates.

As to Hurts, this will be his third year.
Alas the QB who once hoisted the SEC trophy was cast as savior too soon and judged too soon.

I have admiration for Jaylen Hurts after his heroric rallying of the Crimson Tide over Georgia in 2018 for the SEC crown. Lads, after the fragile Tua had an injury Hurts led the team to 2 TDs in 10 minutes to beat the Bulldogs. Good fellow tha Hurts he passed for one and ran for the other TD. What a game! I was so hyper I ate 2 Hungry Man dinners and a 4 Moon Pies!
(I dunna like Alabama but this chap's moxie to win the SEC championship in the last quarter was inspiring.) Jolly good times, chaps.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
Just pray that Hurts doesn’t get injured… because Minshew would make that team much better.
Always thought Minshew had upside, his Jag days he showed some skill.
There is something about Minshew that is not revealed, maybe he is a really subdued individual and likes his locker in the quietest spot.

muck4doo

Least-Known Member
Reaction score
w00t! Love it!I thought I was the only going to see enemy camps this year. Went yesterday to our camp in Oxnard, and going again Wednesday for the mock game in practice. Saturday I will be going to the Rams camp in Irvine, then on Wednesday the 10th will going to the Chargers camp on Costa Mesa. Southern California is the Mecca of training camps.

Daillest88

Reaction score

Who was the blocker Jordan Davis destroyed? And thanks for the post!

Reactions: BAT

Motorola

Reaction score
Sadly gone are the days when you when the NFC East you were going to win the Super Bowl like in the late 80s and early 90s. The Cowboys, Washington and Giants had some of the greatest offensive lines the history of the NFL. The Giants and Eagles had the best defenses. Joe Gibbs, Bill Parcells Tom Landry and Jimmy Johnson as head coaches. Bill Belichick and Norv Turner as assistants. Lawrence Taylor, Emmitt Smith, Reggie White and Daryl Green as players. Wow!!!!!:omg: I miss those days.:oldcouple:
Tom Landry and his Cowboys teams were not a part of that great Super Bowl run that the NFC East forged from the early 80s to the mid 90s.

In review - a unique period in the NFL -- 1982 thru 1995 (don't know if something similar happened)___
Three teams in one division won the league championship EIGHT TIMES in a 14-year span - each team winning the Super Bowl at least twice ----WAS 3x, NYG 2x, DAL 3x.
The NFL - as are all professional sports - are dynamic and everchanging.
Inconic & storied franchises all have had periods of being pitiful and putrid.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

I'm telling you guys about Carson Strong. He doesn't need all that mobility if their line is good. He's like a Payton Manning, more like he feels the pocket even though he's super slow. And I think he'll be the Eagles QB by season's end. I really wanted Dallas to draft Strong. He was still there in the 6th.

Best to see if that knee will hold up now rather than later.

As far as Eagles vs. Cowboys, our QB just makes us better. They don't have a QB until they figure out Strong is a better NFL guy than Hurts. And by then, it'll be too late for 2022.

For what it's worth, Strong is much more accurate than Hurts.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Thanks for the report.

Pass2Run

Reaction score

I'm not really a fan, but I've admired the Bills team and fans from afar. They have a really passionate fanbase, and usually have an interesting team at the very least.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
w00t! Love it!I thought I was the only going to see enemy camps this year. Went yesterday to our camp in Oxnard, and going again Wednesday for the mock game in practice. Saturday I will be going to the Rams camp in Irvine, then on Wednesday the 10th will going to the Chargers camp on Costa Mesa. Southern California is the Mecca of training camps.
Thats really cool, enjoy that mobility and travel safely.