I was just wondering if it's the older fans who see what I see in Dak

408Cowboy

Reaction score
Let me clarify:
When I speak of leadership, I am talking about the player's ability to make those around him better. I don't see that from Dak. He plays well when the team is overpowering another team. But I have yet to see the Cowboys struggling and Dak be the reason they came back and won. He chokes when he's under pressure.
That's what I mean by leadership.
Aren't you a Vikings fan?

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I admitted that!

Whoa easy there fella. Let's not start attacking people geeze~!
You read that wrong. "I am not sure about his ability to change plays." Two things
1) It means I am not convinced he has really good command.
2) With the knowledge that I don't always know if he changed it or not. I'm pretty sure it's not always obvious "KILL KILL KILL".

Text book hating? You haven't seen those boys go at Zeke have you?
Attacking? Lmao, mmK. I'm moving on.

Qcard

Reaction score
Dak has some weaknesses:
  • He IMO is still below average on the back shoulder fade and other finesse type passes
  • He's still got improvement left commanding the LOS
  • He can do more to make team mates accountable as a leader rather than good guy
  • He's got good but not great arm talent
I think what frustrates people is that everybody wants Brett Favre like arm talent and Drew Brees type finesse. Dak doesn't have that but he's still a franchise QB who is gonna be a hell of a good player and IMO when all is said and done he will be better than the vast majority of starting QB's. Maybe not Brees, Rodgers or Brady but I bet he finishes his career recognized as better than Matt Ryan, Phillip Rivers, and Carson Wentz.
That is some very good criticism of Dak. At this stage of his career going into 5th season 52nd Career start (approx incl. Playoff), we should expect to see the complete command of the position.

Look at Romo our perfect case study! Parcells knew Romo was best QB on the roster but throwing Romo to the wolves would have derailed his career. But by 2006 Romo could excute a game plan. Next couple years Romo refined his throwing abilities..Recall successfully being able to throw from all platforms. By 2015 Romo was toying with defenses... he'd seen IT ALL.

I expect this progression from Dak.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'm 53- almost 54 years old. I have been a fan of the Cowboys since the early 70's- when I was old enough to know about them.
I've seen the likes of Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Namath, Pat Haden, Danny White, Joe Montana, Brian Sipe, Dan Pastorini, Craig Morton, John Elway, Joe Theismann, Billy Kilmer, Ron Jaworski, Doug Williams, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, and others like Brett Favre on their best and worst days.
It's not that Dak can't learn. He's a great athlete.
But I don't see in him the instincts of any of the quarterbacks I just mentioned in regards to leadership skills and making a team better.
I'm just curious if it's the older generation that sees what I see?
One thing Dak does better is that he doesn't throw many interceptions, but I am not sure if that comes from the fact that he strictly follows the route tree or is just more aware.
But he doesn't seem to have "it" when it comes to leadership.
But is it the older guys who see what I see?
Just curious.
Dak is chockful of leadership. I have no idea why your perception is so off in this matter.

55 YOA

kskboys

Reaction score
I seriously can't take you serious if you say that leadership is Dak's greatest strength.
But, it is. Or one of them. It's actually amazing that you don't see it. You might actually want to reassess this thought of yours, it's not correct.

For some reason, you've become "Dak blind". It's understandable, we all get that way about certain players. In this case, you've got a huge problem w/ confirmation bias. You don't like Dak as a player, so you're seeing what you want to see. Once again, we're all guilty of this at times.

Dak has a nice package of skills. What's he's needed from the start is a competent coaching staff to put it all together and improve him. So far, he's had the opposite of that until KitMO came along, and then there was improvement.

adbutcher

K9NME
Reaction score
I'm 53- almost 54 years old. I have been a fan of the Cowboys since the early 70's- when I was old enough to know about them.
I've seen the likes of Roger Staubach, Terry Bradshaw, Joe Namath, Pat Haden, Danny White, Joe Montana, Brian Sipe, Dan Pastorini, Craig Morton, John Elway, Joe Theismann, Billy Kilmer, Ron Jaworski, Doug Williams, Troy Aikman, Warren Moon, and others like Brett Favre on their best and worst days.
But I don't see in him the instincts of any of the quarterbacks I just mentioned in regards to leadership skills and making a team better.
One thing Dak does better is that he doesn't throw many interceptions, but I am not sure if that comes from the fact that he strictly follows the route tree or is just more aware.
Just curious.
:lmao:

Cowboys22

Reaction score
Just curious.

Leadership is not his issue. It actually may be his strongest trait. I think his main problem is he changed his game to decrease the risk of injury and help ensure a big payday. The result has been better stats but a reduced ability to come up with the big play on 3rd downs or at the end of games when it's needed most. He still does it some but without taking off and running for the 1st down as much, he simply isn't the same player and defenses play him different.

kskboys

Reaction score
Leadership is not his issue. It actually may be his strongest trait. I think his main problem is he changed his game to decrease the risk of injury and help ensure a big payday. The result has been better stats but a reduced ability to come up with the big play on 3rd downs or at the end of games when it's needed most. He still does it some but without taking off and running for the 1st down as much, he simply isn't the same player and defenses play him different.
Hmmm........

Hadn't thought about that. Could be.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Dak has never been fully unleashed. Only in College was that the case. He carried those teams on his back. If this new regime simply unleashes him and lets him be himself, he will be as close to an elite QB as it gets.

erod

Reaction score
I just can’t take anyone seriously who questions Dak’s leadership. His leadership may be his greatest strength.
That was true early, but it's waning. The team isn't responding to him like in the beginning because his limitations are now clear. He's the 8th best starter on the offense. He isn't elite.

He continues to fail in the most important games. Played awful down the stretch against Buffalo, Chicago, New England, and Philly

Dak is decent. Nothing more, nothing less.

And now were about to pay him like he's Joe Montana.

And that will be the end of that.

kskboys

Reaction score
Dak has never been fully unleashed. Only in College was that the case. He carried those teams on his back. If this new regime simply unleashes him and lets him be himself, he will be as close to an elite QB as it gets.
Don't agree. Unleashing leads to more TO's. What we need is the training that KitMo have started to continue as Dak finally learns to play QB at the NFL level. He is on the way.

Rayman70

Reaction score
Don't agree. Unleashing leads to more TO's. What we need is the training that KitMo have started to continue as Dak finally learns to play QB at the NFL level. He is on the way.
not so sure. You gotta take risk, the good with the bad. Playin t safe with Dak isn't using him properly. What has playin it safe done? We need to take more risk. Let the guy be what he is, a versatile hard to defend football player, not just a QB. He can run too.

Rayman70

Reaction score
I like Jon Kitna actually. Hoped we would keep him. That may have been the 1 bad move MM made. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets brought back later. Dak thru for almost 5k yards in 2019. That's not NFL LEVEL? My lord, all the guy did was run the offense and do what they asked. Part of the problem was Garrett handcuffed him too often. He would have thrown for 5500 yards in 2019 had he been allowed to be Dak. Plus a playoff berth. The down side would have been we would still have Garrett.

cowboygo

Reaction score
I like Jon Kitna actually. Hoped we would keep him. That may have been the 1 bad move MM made. Wouldn't be shocked if he gets brought back later. Dak thru for almost 5k yards in 2019. That's not NFL LEVEL? My lord, all the guy did was run the offense and do what they asked. Part of the problem was Garrett handcuffed him too often. He would have thrown for 5500 yards in 2019 had he been allowed to be Dak. Plus a playoff berth. The down side would have been we would still have Garrett.
its what happens when the gameplan is to play not to lose. Hopefully MM has a killer instinct.

Rayman70

Reaction score
its what happens when the gameplan is to play not to lose. Hopefully MM has a killer instinct.
Agree! Status quo gets ya beat almost every time in the NFL. PLAYING IT SAFE is a surefire way to get beat and lose a job. The last thing we need from the staff is to reign in Dak. He needs to be fully unleashed,period. Makes no sense to pay the guy if all we are going to do is more of the same...just let him ball. Within the confines of MM and the new scheme.

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
Just curious.
Nailed it. Very well said.