CFZ I was surprised with Cowboys taking an unnecessary risk at Left Guard this year

Irv88

Reaction score
Over the years, the Cowboys have rotating people through. From Joe looney to Connor Williams.(who had some holding issues) to Connor McGovern. I know teams take calculated risks with guys to go to other teams and then replacing them with younger, cheaper players. Bass and Richards may turn out to be great and look good early for sure, but it is an unknown.

I was surprised as for taking an unnecessary risk at LG this year. McGovern only signed for 7 mil a year for three years with Buffalo. That is basically slot receiver money. It seems like an unnecessary risk for a guy that I really thought played technically sound and I think only gave up one sack. Seemed like a run blocking technician. I was surprised they let him go for such a low contract.

I get if the other guys play good, then everybody will say it worked out. It just seems like an unnecessary risk when a low cost solution in McGovern played very well for us and became a free agent. I appreciate future hall of famer Tyrone smith, but he had a rough game against the 49ers and gets dinged up and I like Tyler smith at LT. Time will tell on the risk.

CCBoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys won't suite up Donovan Wilson and Tyler Smith...so?

News flash, Santa Clause keeps his reindeer on his own property...so?

The Cowboys will play with who they were able to acquire, but so will the Giants.

Discussion doesn't always have to center upon doom and gloom to have validity.

The Cowboys have good depth and experience. They can handle one less safety, good one...and one less lineman, good one.

They have experienced backups unless a rook is trusted, which he shouldn't be with veterans available.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Over the years, the Cowboys have rotating people through. From Joe looney to Connor Williams.(who had some holding issues) to Connor McGovern. I know teams take calculated risks with guys to go to other teams and then replacing them with younger, cheaper players. Bass and Richards may turn out to be great and look good early for sure, but it is an unknown.

I was surprised as for taking an unnecessary risk at LG this year. McGovern only signed for 7 mil a year for three years with Buffalo. That is basically slot receiver money. It seems like an unnecessary risk for a guy that I really thought played technically sound and I think only gave up one sack. Seemed like a run blocking technician. I was surprised they let him go for such a low contract.

I get if the other guys play good, then everybody will say it worked out. It just seems like an unnecessary risk when a low cost solution in McGovern played very well for us and became a free agent. I appreciate future hall of famer Tyrone smith, but he had a rough game against the 49ers and gets dinged up and I like Tyler smith at LT. Time will tell on the risk.
I think you're missing the point they want a better left guard so they're gonna keep trying to look for one and not pay a guy who you can pretty much find anywhere to play as well as McGovern or Connor Williams.. I mean Connor Williams was switched to center now he's not playing left guard maybe they should have kept faranak around but I believe they wanna give a younger player a chance and this year they're rolling with Tyrone Smith at left tackle so it would be Tyler Smith at left guard that's not a risk that's your best 5.. Now that both of them have a small minor injury we might have to use a backup but why are you thinking that they didn't have a plan they have a plan was it hard to see or you just can't wrap your head around it sometimes players get injured and you have to sub someone in and they're not gonna be as good you don't have depth that good on any team Jerry was right in that aspect when he answered that question I don't know who has 3D offensive lineman you literally have a big drop off from #1 to #2..

That's the answer to your other question on why teams would go and take a risk on a player who wasn't that good on another team and paid him $7 million but the Cowboys know first hand who they are and decided they wanted to go a different direction but that other team's just as desperate for offensive lineman as we are if not more..

You don't think tyron Smith- Tyler Smith -Tyler b- Zach Martin- Terrence Steele is a good starting line?? Seems like the plan to me and now they've drafted some and got some undrafted free agents and some regular free agents in here to mix in maybe for the future...

It does suck going into game one without your entire left side if that's how it turns out to be on the road against a hungry giants team.. But it is part of football..

VaqueroTD

Reaction score

Agreed. Either left tackle or left guard, it doesn’t matter. Tyler moves out to left tackle and we know he can do it so you bank on somebody filling in for the McGovern role which isn’t too hard. I’m pretty sure what’s happening right now is worst-case scenario and Tyler was not the one they first expected to have injury problems. LOL. Since the media is reporting that Edoga is going to play, if Tyron can’t, I am assuming that the coaches still think Richards is too raw. I hope any problems would be like Terrance Steele’s debut, and some definite rookie blues, but strong enough player - both physically and mentally - to overcome it and succeed. Although that would be much easier if we weren’t saying the same thing about our left guard situation. LOL

I can’t help the LOLs. LOL. I laugh because the entire situation makes me very uncomfortable and has the potential to really go bad. We think of playmakers like Pollard or Micah as the worst injury, but this injury to Tyler Smith is a very underrated key injury. I guess that speaks volumes to how well the young man has done in only one year. I just hope it all works out, and the injuries are nothing that will cause serious issues, because it would suck to see the entire season ruined because of one fatal roster mistake that probably could have been fixed. Worst case scenario, until the OL is healthy, bring McKeon back to 53, make that offense as conservative as hell and rely on your defense. Do the exact same thing that you did with Cooper Rush last year. Boy is it nice to have a great defense for once!

Last edited:

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
The Cowboys won't suite up Donovan Wilson and Tyler Smith...so?

News flash, Santa Clause keeps his reindeer on his own property...so?

The Cowboys will play with who they were able to acquire, but so will the Giants.

Discussion doesn't always have to center upon doom and gloom to have validity.

The Cowboys have good depth and experience. They can handle one less safety, good one...and one less lineman, good one.

They have experienced backups unless a rook is trusted, which he shouldn't be with veterans available.
Tyron Smith might not play. Is Williams the DE playing?

Our backup Oline sucks. LOL

Its like you dont even know your own team.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

7M for a back up guard? Seems excessive.

I can see why people think that way because of Injuries. It does take a bit of luck. But you can't have depth every where. Every team has to take some risks and cross their fingers

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think you're missing the point they want a better left guard so they're gonna keep trying to look for one and not pay a guy who you can pretty much find anywhere to play as well as McGovern or Connor Williams.. I mean Connor Williams was switched to center now he's not playing left guard maybe they should have kept faranak around but I believe they wanna give a younger player a chance and this year they're rolling with Tyrone Smith at left tackle so it would be Tyler Smith at left guard that's not a risk that's your best 5.. Now that both of them have a small minor injury we might have to use a backup but why are you thinking that they didn't have a plan they have a plan was it hard to see or you just can't wrap your head around it sometimes players get injured and you have to sub someone in and they're not gonna be as good you don't have depth that good on any team Jerry was right in that aspect when he answered that question I don't know who has 3D offensive lineman you literally have a big drop off from #1 to #2..

That's the answer to your other question on why teams would go and take a risk on a player who wasn't that good on another team and paid him $7 million but the Cowboys know first hand who they are and decided they wanted to go a different direction but that other team's just as desperate for offensive lineman as we are if not more..

You don't think tyron Smith- Tyler Smith -Tyler b- Zach Martin- Terrence Steele is a good starting line?? Seems like the plan to me and now they've drafted some and got some undrafted free agents and some regular free agents in here to mix in maybe for the future...

It does suck going into game one without your entire left side if that's how it turns out to be on the road against a hungry giants team.. But it is part of football..
Cowboys completely fumbled the Oline issue. Tyron is getting injured, he already is and hasnt even played a game yet. They should have signed a better veteran then the scrub Edoga.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
7M for a back up guard? Seems excessive.

I can see why people think that way because of Injuries. It does take a bit of luck. But you can't have depth every where. Every team has to take some risks and cross their fingers
Oline is NOT where you cross your fingers.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Or WR or DL or LB or secondary or RB or...

I have heard the same thing for every position
Well since Oline was a big reason we lost in SF, one would think Jerry would have taken care of that.

You and I went over it all offseason and you were blowing it off then as you are now.

kskboys

Reaction score
Cowboys completely fumbled the Oline issue. Tyron is getting injured, he already is and hasnt even played a game yet. They should have signed a better veteran then the scrub Edoga.
And this was the offseason where there were a myriad of quality OL's available. Jewann Taylor, Mike McGlinchey, Ben Powers, Daniel Brunskill, Andre Dillard, Seumalo, Orlando Brown, Reilly Reiff, Evan Brown, Jon Feliciano, Matt Feller, Nate Davis, Nick Gates, just piles of them. And we ended up w/ the injury prone busty one.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Well since Oline was a big reason we lost in SF, one would think Jerry would have taken care of that.

You and I went over it all offseason and you were blowing it off then as you are now.
Multiple factors for loss in SF. We went downhill fast after Pollard went down. Zeke just couldn't do it. And non of the othe WRs stepped up and we were one dimensional with one WR. Even SF players said once Pollard went down they just dropped into coverage and didn't worry about run game.

Am I dismissing the OL need? No. We did draft Richard. Signed one in FA. There is only so much we could do. When rash of Injuries happen then your depthnis tested. If we lose Gilmore and Diggs we all will question our strategy around CB. If we lost Gallup and Cooks then we question again....

Losing two starters hurts. We just have to play through it.

P.s. I did want us to draft the guard from Florida in 2nd round. Still scratching my head on Schoonmaker

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
And this was the offseason where there were a myriad of quality OL's available. Jewann Taylor, Mike McGlinchey, Ben Powers, Daniel Brunskill, Andre Dillard, Seumalo, Orlando Brown, Reilly Reiff, Evan Brown, Jon Feliciano, Matt Feller, Nate Davis, Nick Gates, just piles of them. And we ended up w/ the injury prone busty one.
Yep they blew it. And there were lots of quality veteran backs available for cheap in FA and in the draft.

Then we had the #1 guard fall into our laps in the 2nd round and they blew that also.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Multiple factors for loss in SF. We went downhill fast after Pollard went down. Zeke just couldn't do it. And non of the othe WRs stepped up and we were one dimensional with one WR. Even SF players said once Pollard went down they just dropped into coverage and didn't worry about run game.

Am I dismissing the OL need? No. We did draft Richard. Signed one in FA. There is only so much we could do. When rash of Injuries happen then your depthnis tested. If we lose Gilmore and Diggs we all will question our strategy around CB. If we lost Gallup and Cooks then we question again....

Losing two starters hurts. We just have to play through it.

P.s. I did want us to draft the guard from Florida in 2nd round. Still scratching my head on Schoonmaker
Many reasons. But the Oline was dominated in the run and pass protection. Its the #1 reason keeping us from making a deep playoff run.