CFZ I was surprised with Cowboys taking an unnecessary risk at Left Guard this year

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I was surprised as for taking an unnecessary risk at LG this year. McGovern only signed for 7 mil a year for three years with Buffalo. That is basically slot receiver money. It seems like an unnecessary risk for a guy that I really thought played technically sound and I think only gave up one sack. Seemed like a run blocking technician. I was surprised they let him go for such a low contract.
I get if the other guys play good, then everybody will say it worked out. It just seems like an unnecessary risk when a low cost solution in McGovern played very well for us and became a free agent. I appreciate future hall of famer Tyrone smith, but he had a rough game against the 49ers and gets dinged up and I like Tyler smith at LT. Time will tell on the risk.
We were set at LG with Tyler Smith, and *shouldn't* have paid McGovern 7mil to be a backup.

But I did expect them to do more for backups for interior oline. They could have drafted two with premium picks and not been overdoing it.

Also surprised that a team supposedly making a run didn't resign Peters. He'd be our best backup at 4 positions across the oline. .

Robster8989

Reaction score
Many reasons. But the Oline was dominated in the run and pass protection. Its the #1 reason keeping us from making a deep playoff run.
Yes I do agree.
Interesting topic.
One thing as it relates to McGovern, is that even though he signed a 3/22 mil deal, that doesn't mean he counts 7.33 per year on the cap.
It's all in how the deal is structured and the guaranteed money. I think McG got 2 years and 9.9 mil guarenteed.
The could move him next year with just 2 mil in dead money (and a 5.9 cap savings) for 2024 if cut Post June 1.
His cap # this year is 4 mil.
So it's all in how a deal is structured, not the total money.

Now, I will admit, Cowboy FAs often get overpaid in FA, so I understand that concern on the part of the front office.
So we decided to let McG walk, and brought in Edoga. I'm not sure what the facination is with him TBH. He was hurt most of last year (and has an injury history) and really was never that good to begin with. And we also had little in young talent at the position.
So we seem to be facing an issue that should have been foreseen.

I also liked Torrance in the draft, but he was not a zone blocking IOL, and that the sceme the Boys employ. I think that is why we passed, but I LOVED the idea of Tyler Smith and Torrence on the left side of the line for the next decade, just steam rolling defenders in the run game.
Overall I liked our off season, but OL is my main complaint.
We had an OK guy in McG, who we let walk, and the only plan we had was signing Edoga?
You know Tyron is not giving you 17 games, that must be taken as a given, so our plan is Edoga, a guy with a bad injury history who was never much to begin with? We may get lucky with Bass (I hope we do), it just seems for a team with playoff asperations, and a QB who NEEDS everything to go just right, and some cap space available, we might have come up with a better plan B then Edoga, be it in the draft or in FA.

Back in the 90's, we kind of had 6 starting caliber O linemen.. Another world I know, but we had John Gesek on the bench, and when Stepnoski went down for the year, Gesek slid in and we didn't miss a beat, and won another Super Bowl that year.
I know the cap is restrictive, and that OL depth is a league wide issue, but it also seems like we could do a lot better.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Yes I do agree.
Interesting topic.
One thing as it relates to McGovern, is that even though he signed a 3/22 mil deal, that doesn't mean he counts 7.33 per year on the cap.
It's all in how the deal is structured and the guaranteed money. I think McG got 2 years and 9.9 mil guarenteed.
The could move him next year with just 2 mil in dead money (and a 5.9 cap savings) for 2024 if cut Post June 1.
His cap # this year is 4 mil.
So it's all in how a deal is structured, not the toatl money.

Now, I will admit, Cowboy FAs often get overpaid in FA, so I understand that on the part of the front office.
So we decided to let McG walk, and brought in Edoga. I'm not sure what the facination is with him TBH. He was hurt most of last year (and has an injury history) and really was never that good to begin with. And we also had little in young talent at the position.
So we seem to be facing an issue that should have been foreseen.

I also liked Torrance in the draft, but he was not a zone blocking IOL, and that the sceme the Boys employ.
Overall I liked our off season, but OL is my main complaint.
We had an OK guy in McG, who we let walk, and the only plan we had was signing Edoga?
You know Tyron is not giving you 17 games, that must be taken as a given, so our plan is Edoga, a guy with a bad injury history who was never much to begin with? We may get lucky with Bass (I hope we do), it just seems for a team with playoff asperations, and a QB who NEEDS everything to go just right, and some cap space available, we might have come up with a better plan B then Edoga, be it in the draft or in FA.

Back in the 90's, we kind of had 6 starting caliber O linemen.. Another world I know, but we had John Gesek on the bench, and when Stepnoski went down for the year, Gesek slid in and we didn't miss a beat, and won another Super Bowl that year.
I know the cap is restrictive, and that OL depth is a league wide issue, but it also seems like we could do a lot better.
Torrence could have been taught to zone block. This idea that he couldnt is homer excuses.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A

As I said, I wanted him.
The sad part is next year Tyron is definitely gone and we still need to sign Biadasz. So we still need a guard. I think we sign Biadasz. Torrence would have made Oline a strength THIS year and into the future.

Robster8989

Reaction score
The sad part is next year Tyron is definitely gone and we still need to sign Biadasz. So we still need a guard. I think we sign Biadasz. Torrence would have made Oline a strength THIS year and into the futur
I do agree.
I couldn't believe Torrence was still there in the 2nd, and I was shocked we passed on him (even with the blocking sceme issue).
I think starting him on the bench, getting him up to speed, then when Tyron inevitably goes down this year, move Tyler to LT and plug in Torrence at LG (hopefully for the next decade, lol).
Imagine the running game behind those 2 maulers on the left side (plus our right side is no slouch either)
When and if Tyron returned from injury you make the decision who is on the bench.
Our O line would then be a strength, and be set (other than signing Tyler B) for the forseeable future.
Plus having 2 guys on rookie deals may have made keeping Tyler B easier too.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
Tyron Smith might not play. Is Williams the DE playing?

Our backup Oline sucks. LOL

Its like you dont even know your own team.
You are right, this guy doesn't even know his own team - but he seems to think he has all the answers, lol. Santa and his reindeers, what? Not one person on this forum has posted anything positive or has shown any confidence in any of the backup O - lineman, so not sure why he thinks its no big deal that both Smith's are hurt already. Its a huge concern.
I have been wondering about Williams and a possible league suspension too, but so far nothing. Last I read, Jerry believes he won't be suspended at all- so we will see.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
You are right, this guy doesn't even know his own team - but he seems to think he has all the answers, lol. Santa and his reindeers, what? Not one person on this forum has posted anything positive or has shown any confidence in any of the backup O - lineman, so not sure why he thinks its no big deal that both Smith's are hurt already. Its a huge concern.
I have been wondering about Williams and a possible league suspension too, but so far nothing. Last I read, Jerry believes he won't be suspended at all- so we will see.
I would LOVE to see Bass and Richards come out and play well. Its just not likely.

McMicah

Reaction score
I just don’t think it was that risky. They have Chuma, and Ball showed out before he got hurt (I’ll bet he’s back next year as a backup IOL), and they likely would’ve kept Farniok if Bass hadn’t surpassed him.

I just don’t view it as that risky.

lukemartin79

Reaction score
The Cowboys won't suite up Donovan Wilson and Tyler Smith...so?

News flash, Santa Clause keeps his reindeer on his own property...so?

The Cowboys will play with who they were able to acquire, but so will the Giants.

Discussion doesn't always have to center upon doom and gloom to have validity.

The Cowboys have good depth and experience. They can handle one less safety, good one...and one less lineman, good one.

They have experienced backups unless a rook is trusted, which he shouldn't be with veterans available.
You don't know if they will play or not - are you the Cowboys trainer, lol? No, you are just a goofball who knows nothing. The Cowboys have good depth at O-line, are you nuts? You must be a Giants fan, or just a goof - which are the same thing, lol.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Over the years, the Cowboys have rotating people through. From Joe looney to Connor Williams.(who had some holding issues) to Connor McGovern. I know teams take calculated risks with guys to go to other teams and then replacing them with younger, cheaper players. Bass and Richards may turn out to be great and look good early for sure, but it is an unknown.

I was surprised as for taking an unnecessary risk at LG this year. McGovern only signed for 7 mil a year for three years with Buffalo. That is basically slot receiver money. It seems like an unnecessary risk for a guy that I really thought played technically sound and I think only gave up one sack. Seemed like a run blocking technician. I was surprised they let him go for such a low contract.

I get if the other guys play good, then everybody will say it worked out. It just seems like an unnecessary risk when a low cost solution in McGovern played very well for us and became a free agent. I appreciate future hall of famer Tyrone smith, but he had a rough game against the 49ers and gets dinged up and I like Tyler smith at LT. Time will tell on the risk.
I think they are confident in the two rookies, which isn't a bad thing at all. We'll see if they were right.

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
We all get it and it’s been rehashed over and over. The Cowboys should have taken a Guard in the Second.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Multiple factors for loss in SF. We went downhill fast after Pollard went down. Zeke just couldn't do it. And non of the othe WRs stepped up and we were one dimensional with one WR. Even SF players said once Pollard went down they just dropped into coverage and didn't worry about run game.

Am I dismissing the OL need? No. We did draft Richard. Signed one in FA. There is only so much we could do. When rash of Injuries happen then your depthnis tested. If we lose Gilmore and Diggs we all will question our strategy around CB. If we lost Gallup and Cooks then we question again....

Losing two starters hurts. We just have to play through it.

P.s. I did want us to draft the guard from Florida in 2nd round. Still scratching my head on Schoonmaker
0l
Over the years, the Cowboys have rotating people through. From Joe looney to Connor Williams.(who had some holding issues) to Connor McGovern. I know teams take calculated risks with guys to go to other teams and then replacing them with younger, cheaper players. Bass and Richards may turn out to be great and look good early for sure, but it is an unknown.

The choice in March:
1:
Tyron at LT and Tyler at LG.
Backup LT: Tyler
Backup LG: Low cost veteran.

2:
Tyler at LT and McGovern type at LG.
Backup LT: Low cost veteran.
Backup LG: Noname type player.

#1 Gave them 2 legit options at LT and a much better starting lineup than #2 if starters stayed healthy.

With #1 they just needed 1 of Tyler or Tyron to stay healthy.

With #2 Tyler would be the only legit option at LT. A starting quality LT would not sign to be a backup; therefore any veteran swing tackle would be a marginal player.

They almost used their 1st round pick on a OL they would have played at OG. That wouldn't have solved the LT issue.

Tyron was actually a bonus signing. If Steele was not coming off injury, they likely would not have retained Tyron and would have kept Tyler at LT with a middling player at LG.

FYI:
McGovern was not that good.
- Edogo started a game at LG in 2022 and was better than McGovern.

CCBoy

Reaction score
You don't know if they will play or not - are you the Cowboys trainer, lol? No, you are just a goofball who knows nothing. The Cowboys have good depth at O-line, are you nuts? You must be a Giants fan, or just a goof - which are the same thing, lol.
You have NO validity and are as well filled with yourself. You can't up and make up either excuse and validate the insult...move on...tumbleweed. Learn football and what are always an asumable point in status as well. :popcorn::popcorn:

I played the sport into college as a linebacker/defensive end. I was a Master Fitness Trainer in the Army as well as an ERT before working with the Sheriff's Department.

You are simply full of it...:facepalm::muttley: Now talk some football or just shut up on insult.

Last edited:

CCBoy

Reaction score
0l

The choice in March:
1:
Tyron at LT and Tyler at LG.
Backup LT: Tyler
Backup LG: Low cost veteran.

2:
Tyler at LT and McGovern type at LG.
Backup LT: Low cost veteran.
Backup LG: Noname type player.

#1 Gave them 2 legit options at LT and a much better starting lineup than #2 if starters stayed healthy.

With #1 they just needed 1 of Tyler or Tyron to stay healthy.

With #2 Tyler would be the only legit option at LT. A starting quality LT would not sign to be a backup; therefore any veteran swing tackle would be a marginal player.

They almost used their 1st round pick on a OL they would have played at OG. That wouldn't have solved the LT issue.

Tyron was actually a bonus signing. If Steele was not coming off injury, they likely would not have retained Tyron and would have kept Tyler at LT with a middling player at LG.

FYI:
McGovern was not that good.
- Edogo started a game at LG in 2022 and was better than McGovern.
The team steadily building roster and never sitting on status...

CCBoy

Reaction score
I think they are confident in the two rookies, which isn't a bad thing at all. We'll see if they were right.
Good players and depth are what Bill Parcells worked four years for right here in Dallas...stupid? Relearn smart then...

McMicah

Reaction score
The more I think about this, the more I agree with the OP. In truth, nobody expected Farniok or Waletzko to be amazing at this point, and Chuma wasn’t exactly a riveting acquisition.

We are INCREDIBLY lucky that both Richards and Bass have shown to be instant upgrades to Farniok and Waletzko. That’s kind of insane. But what’s more insane is that Josh Ball found his calling at Guard, and will likely earn a backup role next year.

I guess the main point is if Richards and Bass were duds and Ball stayed awful, we would be in deep deep doodoo