CFZ I was surprised with Cowboys taking an unnecessary risk at Left Guard this year

rambo2

Reaction score
Is Asim starting? According to that depth chart he is.
I think that Tyron Smith is starting. I think either Chuma or Tyler Smith at guard. If Tyler doesn't play, I think they could possibly play more than 1 player at guard.

Jarntt

Reaction score
Over the years, the Cowboys have rotating people through. From Joe looney to Connor Williams.(who had some holding issues) to Connor McGovern. I know teams take calculated risks with guys to go to other teams and then replacing them with younger, cheaper players. Bass and Richards may turn out to be great and look good early for sure, but it is an unknown.

I was surprised as for taking an unnecessary risk at LG this year. McGovern only signed for 7 mil a year for three years with Buffalo. That is basically slot receiver money. It seems like an unnecessary risk for a guy that I really thought played technically sound and I think only gave up one sack. Seemed like a run blocking technician. I was surprised they let him go for such a low contract.

I get if the other guys play good, then everybody will say it worked out. It just seems like an unnecessary risk when a low cost solution in McGovern played very well for us and became a free agent. I appreciate future hall of famer Tyrone smith, but he had a rough game against the 49ers and gets dinged up and I like Tyler smith at LT. Time will tell on the risk.
While I wanted this team to do more than they did all offseason (day 3 draft pick, UDFAs, a practice squad OL and a vet minimum contract) to solve the OL depth issue, I would not at all be in favor of this. McGovern just isn't that good. To me you pay less for a comparable guy or a little more for a better guy. The second issue is he would be a backup here when everyone is healthy even if that is just for less than half the year. Why would you give a contract like he got for a backup? All McGovern does is guarantee mediocrity. Again, I was and still am very in favor of doing something more than we did and actually taking a step to make sure we solve the problem (because we know Tyron won't play 17 games) and not just hope we did. But not for McGovern for 3 years and over $7M per

Pass2Run

Reaction score
Shouldn’t the Cowboys get credit for finding good oline options in later rounds? Even Steele was a udfa and turned into a quality starter.
I think they should. They've killed the UDFA market, recently.

Robster8989

Reaction score
I do think it is a fair to be concerned.
Overall, I believe we had a great offseason.
Adding Gilmore and Cooks at 2 marquee positions and only giving up 5th rounders is enormous.
Plus both of them are on affordable contracts. Huge wins at 2 critical positions.
I love that we kept Wilson, I really though he was gone.
Plus keeping LVE and Hankins.
Solid job.
I didn't love the draft but honestly, rating a draft at this point is foolish.

2 very low cost moves I wish we had made were the following.
First,. I would have brought Jason Peters into camp. He played solid for us last year. I know he is well past his prime, but he can still play in brief stints. Having a pro on the bench who can play 4 OL positions would be nice. And I would have brought him into camp so he'd be in game shape. I would even platoon him with Tyron at times just to lower the chance Tyron goes down. If the kids beat him out in camp so be it, that would be a blessing in fact. But we could have brought him in for a small signing bonus ($150-250K) on a vet min deal. Low risk, high reward.
Second, I didn't like that we kept Gallimore, and let Watkins walk. Watkins got 1.75, just slightly above vet min. I thought he was solid. Early in his Cowboy career we were asking himt o play the 1 tech, and he was just not big enough, so he was below average, but when we brough Hankins in, Watkins played mostly 3, and he showed out IMO. Not saying he's a pro bowler, but he was solid. I Like an Osa/Watkins tandem much more than a Osa/Gallimore tandem at the 3. Gallimore has been awful. We could have released Gallimore and picked up almost 3 mil in space, so keeping Watkins over Gallimore would have saved us over a mil in space and Watkins is the better player IMO.
2 small moves that would have made us a slightly better team.
Just my opinion.
As I said, I really like our off sesaon overall, just a few small things I would have done differently.

rambo2

Reaction score
I do think it is a fair to be concerned.
Overall, I believe we had a great offseason.
Adding Gilmore and Cooks at 2 marquee positions and only giving up 5th rounders is enormous.
Plus both of them are on affordable contracts. Huge wins at 2 critical positions.
I love that we kept Wilson, I really though he was gone.
Plus keeping LVE and Hankins.
Solid job.
I didn't love the draft but honestly, rating a draft at this point is foolish.

2 very low cost moves I wish we had made were the following.
First,. I would have brought Jason Peters into camp. He played solid for us last year. I know he is well past his prime, but he can still play in brief stints. Having a pro on the bench who can play 4 OL positions would be nice. And I would have brought him into camp so he'd be in game shape. I would even platoon him with Tyron at times just to lower the chance Tyron goes down. If the kids beat him out in camp so be it, that would be a blessing in fact. But we could have brought him in for a small signing bonus ($150-250K) on a vet min deal. Low risk, high reward.
Second, I didn't like that we kept Gallimore, and let Watkins walk. Watkins got 1.75, just slightly above vet min. I thought he was solid. Early in his Cowboy career we were asking himt o play the 1 tech, and he was just not big enough, so he was below average, but when we brough Hankins in, Watkins played mostly 3, and he showed out IMO. Not saying he's a pro bowler, but he was solid. I Like an Osa/Watkins tandem much more than a Osa/Gallimore tandem at the 3. Gallimore has been awful. We could have released Gallimore and picked up almost 3 mil in space, so keeping Watkins over Gallimore would have saved us over a mil in space and Watkins is the better player IMO.
2 small moves that would have made us a slightly better team.
Just my opinion.
As I said, I really like our off sesaon overall, just a few small things I would have done differently.
How would you know the condition of Peters over what the Cowboys know from having him last year?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
0l

The choice in March:
1:
Tyron at LT and Tyler at LG.
Backup LT: Tyler
Backup LG: Low cost veteran.

#1 Gave them 2 legit options at LT and a much better starting lineup than #2 if starters stayed healthy.

With #1 they just needed 1 of Tyler or Tyron to stay healthy.

- Edogo started a game at LG in 2022 and was better than McGovern.
Was Edoga better than Peters?

Straight up I'd rather have Peters, who demonstrated himself as a competent starter at *multiple* positions for us last year.

If Edoga really is better than Peters at *any* position, we should have both on the roster, especially with our lack of investment in interior oline in the draft this year.

I just don't get why Peters is not here this year. Tremendous value proposition at positions of need.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
How would you know the condition of Peters over what the Cowboys know from having him last year?
We all saw Peters deliver as a *quality* starter at multiple positions last year.

Maybe management has some information that says Peters is unfit for duty this year. Or maybe they just made a bad decision. It's not like that never happens around here, for both keeping and dumping players.

Last year we kept Schultz and Gallup over Cooper, and for more money.

Robster8989

Reaction score

Straight up I'd rather have Peters, who demonstrated himself as a competent starter at *multiple* positions for us last year.

If Edoga really is better than Peters at *any* position, we should have both on the roster, especially with our lack of investment in interior oline in the draft this year.

I just don't get why Peters is not here this year. Tremendous value proposition at positions of need.
I agree.
He played almost 250 snaps last year at various positions (he can play 4 OL positions), his PFF was over 70, which is higher than almost any bench OL in the league.
Good point on Edoga. The FO seems to think he is of the same ilk. I hope they are right, but Edoga has never really done it in the NFL, and Peters has. Plus Edoga has injury issues, so availability is a concern.

Plus, Peters is also like having a coach on the field. Both Tyler Smith and Steele mentioned how much of a help he was to them.
I'm all for competition, and if he brought him in to camp, and he got beat out, so be it.
But we likely could have brought him in on a small signing bonus, so, low risk, high reward.
Again, I like our off season immensly, just a small criticism.
Why do some posters act like they are being personally attached when a small criticism is made, backed up by facts?
It's fair to criticize a front office with our record the last 27 years, is it not?
Or will I be accused of being an Eagles fan?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Bass' numbers are just kind of weird. Broad jump and sprint times make it look like he has explosion but not speed, but his vertical is nothing.
Maybe the vertical requires more training? Not quite in the normal biomechanics for an olineman?

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Peters (reportedly) would only sign for cheap if he didn't have to go to training camp. i.e. Sign at or after the start of the season.

They thought Edoga could become the starting LG if needed. He is only 25.

Peters is unlikely to play multiple full games.

I reviewed Edogo in his 1 start at LG last season with the Falcons. I thought he looked like a better LG than McGovern.

Also, Edogo can be an ok backup RT but if he has to play LT, it could get ugly.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Plus, Peters is also like having a coach on the field. Both Tyler Smith and Steele mentioned how much of a help he was to them.
I'm all for competition, and if he brought him in to camp, and he got beat out, so be it.
But we likely could have brought him in on a small signing bonus, so, low risk, high reward.
Again, I like our off season immensly, just a small criticism.
Why do some posters act like they are being personally attached when a small criticism is made, backed up by facts?
It's fair to criticize a front office with our record the last 27 years, is it not?
Or will I be accused of being an Eagles fan?
Just so much value with Peters. I just can't see that our bottom of the roster can compete.

As for people getting wound up about criticism of management decisions, people are different. Some people want to hear nothing but rah rah rah. Some people, like me, come to a forum to analyze and discuss the Cowboys and football.

Robster8989

Reaction score
Peters (reportedly) would only sign for cheap if he didn't have to go to training camp. i.e. Sign at or after the start of the season.

I reviewed Edogo in his 1 start at LG last season with the Falcons. I thought he looked like a better LG than McGovern.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

Looking back at his stats, so despite being on the field for lots of games, only played that one full game against the Commanders, then only lasted half a game the next week against Tampa, and then was inactive against SF.

So it seems they were never really satisfied with his conditioning, and potentially his injury against Tampa is a further negative for this year.

Last edited:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I suppose they were only willing to play Peters for one full game last year. Seemed like he held up pretty well in the playoff game at RT.
He was injured half way thru the 1st playoff game (48% snaps played).