CFZ I was surprised with Cowboys taking an unnecessary risk at Left Guard this year

tomsanders921

Reaction score
Over the years, the Cowboys have rotating people through. From Joe looney to Connor Williams.(who had some holding issues) to Connor McGovern. I know teams take calculated risks with guys to go to other teams and then replacing them with younger, cheaper players. Bass and Richards may turn out to be great and look good early for sure, but it is an unknown.

I was surprised as for taking an unnecessary risk at LG this year. McGovern only signed for 7 mil a year for three years with Buffalo. That is basically slot receiver money. It seems like an unnecessary risk for a guy that I really thought played technically sound and I think only gave up one sack. Seemed like a run blocking technician. I was surprised they let him go for such a low contract.

I get if the other guys play good, then everybody will say it worked out. It just seems like an unnecessary risk when a low cost solution in McGovern played very well for us and became a free agent. I appreciate future hall of famer Tyrone smith, but he had a rough game against the 49ers and gets dinged up and I like Tyler smith at LT. Time will tell on the risk.
Cowboys have to go cheap at some positions. Dak is about to get extended and the asking price just keeps going up with all these deals.

Parsons will break the bank with his new contract.

And I also think lamb is going to command record wr money when he signs. It's just the way it goes now. Even if a player is not the best, they will set the market with their new contract if they are near the top at their position.

btgboys41

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Like you are an authority. Just watch Schoonmaker.
Nope. Just a fan like you. I hope Schoonmaker is a stud all year. However, my opinion is that o line was more of a priority, and that the guard would have been a better pick. I guess you are an authority on Schoon though right?

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I do think it is a fair to be concerned.
Overall, I believe we had a great offseason.
Adding Gilmore and Cooks at 2 marquee positions and only giving up 5th rounders is enormous.
Plus both of them are on affordable contracts. Huge wins at 2 critical positions.
I love that we kept Wilson, I really though he was gone.
Plus keeping LVE and Hankins.
Solid job.
I didn't love the draft but honestly, rating a draft at this point is foolish.

2 very low cost moves I wish we had made were the following.
First,. I would have brought Jason Peters into camp. He played solid for us last year. I know he is well past his prime, but he can still play in brief stints. Having a pro on the bench who can play 4 OL positions would be nice. And I would have brought him into camp so he'd be in game shape. I would even platoon him with Tyron at times just to lower the chance Tyron goes down. If the kids beat him out in camp so be it, that would be a blessing in fact. But we could have brought him in for a small signing bonus ($150-250K) on a vet min deal. Low risk, high reward.
Second, I didn't like that we kept Gallimore, and let Watkins walk. Watkins got 1.75, just slightly above vet min. I thought he was solid. Early in his Cowboy career we were asking himt o play the 1 tech, and he was just not big enough, so he was below average, but when we brough Hankins in, Watkins played mostly 3, and he showed out IMO. Not saying he's a pro bowler, but he was solid. I Like an Osa/Watkins tandem much more than a Osa/Gallimore tandem at the 3. Gallimore has been awful. We could have released Gallimore and picked up almost 3 mil in space, so keeping Watkins over Gallimore would have saved us over a mil in space and Watkins is the better player IMO.
2 small moves that would have made us a slightly better team.
Just my opinion.
As I said, I really like our off sesaon overall, just a few small things I would have done differently.
Gallimore just reduced his deal a few days ago.

kskboys

Reaction score
Peters (reportedly) would only sign for cheap if he didn't have to go to training camp. i.e. Sign at or after the start of the season.

They thought Edoga could become the starting LG if needed. He is only 25.

Peters is unlikely to play multiple full games.

I reviewed Edogo in his 1 start at LG last season with the Falcons. I thought he looked like a better LG than McGovern.

Also, Edogo can be an ok backup RT but if he has to play LT, it could get ugly.
That's if he can stay on the field, which he hasn't been able to up to this point. Edoga.

nightrain

Since 1971
Reaction score
Bad OL play will sink the Cowboys this year. If Steele is fully recovered and Tyler Smith can get back in the lineup next week they will be fine no matter what happens today. Tyron Smith is going to be a question mark all year.

rambo2

Reaction score
Nope. Just a fan like you. I hope Schoonmaker is a stud all year. However, my opinion is that o line was more of a priority, and that the guard would have been a better pick. I guess you are an authority on Schoon though right?
Yes, he is a good blocker and receiver. He is a better blocker than the guard that Buffalo took in my opinion when you throw in his pass catching skills and they were able to pick up 2 linemen later.