I will never like Jason Garrett

khiladi

Reaction score
Of course, when these changes first happened regarding Jason being demoted, Jerry always tried to spin it that "Jason believes that". WHy always single Jason out as 'believing that'?

http://sportsday.***BANNED-URL***/d...-spending-peyton-manning-type-time-on-the-job

Jones went on to say that the additional time will also lead to Romo being more involved with what the team does with play calling on offense.

"If Tony, for instance, would be here Monday through Saturday … from seven in the morning to six o'clock at night all over this place then that's better than the way it's been," Jones said. "We'll have more success, and Jason believes that. It's certainly at quarterback but he believes it at the other positions.

"Tony is going to have more time, more presence, not only in the offseason but when the season starts, beginning Monday, assuming we played Sundays. He's going to have more time on the job. A part of what we agreed with was extra time on the job, beyond the norm. That doesn't mean that he didn't have a lot of time on the job, but extra time on the job, Peyton Manning-type time on the job."

Here, Jerry specifically says Romo would basically be involved in the offense from Monday, meaning coaching and game-planning NOT JUST THE OFF-SEASON either.. People can talk about Romo 'audibling' out of runs during Garrett's track record or Dez didn't know how to supposedly run routes, but any of the options provided by Romo during that era in which Jason refused to relinquish any control was specifically the options Garrett provided him in the context of the offense. And we all know that by 2012 and his tenure in general, Dallas normally just kept abandoning the game plan. Garrett led-offense use to be among the leaders of the league in woefulness not just in the red-zone, but in first half offense in not accomplishing anything. So the 2012 year, they basically were just going more up-tempo and putting all the pressure on Romo to bail him out. So Romo had to bail them out, without even being involved in game-planning. And further, if one breaks it down, Dallas basically was throwing 70% or so in shotgun and passing formations, meaning the offense was just so predictable as anybody with a grain of sense could see.

That's how bad it got...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Probably more like last year. It was already reported that Linehan didn't really want Cassell here, but wanted to play Moore. It's clear that Moore new his offense and Cassell, would be a new QB inserted into an offense that had no idea what they wanted to do. Garrett, during his 'glory years' always blamed the defense for the failures and last year, his approach was again, to rely on the defense to generate TOs, while they played conservative ball. They couldn't even score in the red-zone.

And Jerry himself said that an injury to Romo should never have prevented them from winning some more games.

Jerry has been one of the biggest critics of Garrett. And he has done it publicly. Yet some of these cats laughably point to the fact that he is still head coach as justification? So Jerry continues to employ a guy he knows continues to screw up. I hopes that he will be right some day. Talk about sad?

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
You didn't address me directly, but made a condescending tone about valid criticisms of Garrett.
The thread is titled "I will NEVER like Jason Garrett" with the word "never" in all caps. Never is permanent. I made a valid criticism of ridiculous thing to say because there is no room for improvement. So essentially Garrett can do the exact opposite of all the things the OP claims to not like and he will still hat him. Did that make sense? No it doesn't. Good talk.

khiladi

Reaction score
The thread is titled "I will NEVER like Jason Garrett" with the word "never" in all caps. Never is permanent. I made a valid criticism of ridiculous thing to say because there is no room for improvement. So essentially Garrett can do the exact opposite of all the things the OP claims to not like and he will still hat him. Did that make sense? No it doesn't. Good talk.

My apologies, I thought you were responding to me indirectly.

Now that being said, you said the Garrett-bashers wouldn't admit themselves WRONG, based on an assertion of a possibility in the FUTURE, that hasn't even happened. And you said this in the context that Garrett's performance this year supposedly proved those who criticize Garrett as wrong.

The FACTS are, Garrett was demoted because he sucked at a job he never wanted to relinquish and straight from Jones mouth, his role would be ambiguous.

Who exactly isn't admitting they were wrong? The Garrett-homers made all sorts of excuses for Garrett when he was totally in charge of this offense, including Romo supposedly bailing out of him wanting to run the ball or Dez not knowing his routes. Jerry's words are there for anybody to see. Garrett simply was incompetent at play-calling and he never wanted to relinquish control.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
My apologies, I thought you were responding to me indirectly.

Now that being said, you said the Garrett-bashers wouldn't admit themselves WRONG, based on an assertion of a possibility in the FUTURE, that hasn't even happened. And you said this in the context that Garrett's performance this year supposedly proved those who criticize Garrett as wrong.

The FACTS are, Garrett was demoted because he sucked at a job he never wanted to relinquish and straight from Jones mouth, his role would be ambiguous.

Who exactly isn't admitting they were wrong? The Garrett-homers made all sorts of excuses for Garrett when he was totally in charge of this offense, including Romo supposedly bailing out of him wanting to run the ball or Dez not knowing his routes. Jerry's words are there for anybody to see. Garrett simply was incompetent at play-calling and he never wanted to relinquish control.
My only point is that it is foolish to speak in such absolutes because those that do tend to remain entrenched in their positions even when there is evidence to prove them wrong. This is the case for pro or anti Garrett, pro or anti Jerry, or even pro and anti Romo.

CrownCowboy

Reaction score
Garrett can always change the perception by actually showing that he can coach. Going 13-3 and keeping Romo on the bench was heading in that direction. Then he totally screwed the pooch in the playoffs. The guy shows time and time again that he simply isnt cut out to be a big time football coach. In game management, clock management he just doesnt get it. He panics too often and did it again in the playoffs.

I agree and the bottomline is that if he hasn't figured these things out by now considering how long he has been here and how long he has been around the game and the league, he'll never figure it out in my opinion.

At first people rationalized his performance and decisions as "on the job" training. Well that ship has sailed.

I often hear people say that he is a great motivator and his players play hard for him. In my opinion, coming up with a solid gameplan and preparing your players encompasses what it takes to motivate. If that makes any sense at all lol....

The playoff game against the Packers is a prime example. We had two weeks to get ready for that extremely important ballgame and we all saw the product on the field to start the game. Sure, we showed grit and heart and came back, but we lost that game because we were not prepared at all and were frankly outplayed and woefully outcoached.

Of course, I failed to mention the game management and situational decision making issues.

Last edited:

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I agree and the bottomline is that if he hasn't figured these things out by now considering how long he has been here and how long he has been around the game and the league, he'll never figure it out in my opinion.

This is it!! Ive been saying it for 4 years at least. The Garrett Adoration Club has been clinging to this fantasized "football pedigree" and "smartest guy in the room" delusion as justification to defend him as he builds a coming dynasty. The Joe Biden like gaffes are just dismissed with a wave of the hand as if its nothing and typical for any coach new to the job. Only Red isnt new to football. Its been his entire life and he still hasnt gotten IT.

Jerry and the Garrett Apologists love all the #FIGHT t-shirts and mannequins with a no name jersey and other borrowed and recycled coaching cliches but that doesnt bring wins. It only has value if its effective.

Last edited:

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
The playoff game against the Packers is a prime example. We had two weeks to get ready for that extremely important ballgame and we all saw the product on the field to start the game. Sure, we showed grit and heart and came back, but we lost that game because we were not prepared at all and were frankly outplayed and woefully outcoached.

Actually we had THREE weeks to prepare becuz there was no time spent preparing for the Philly game. We had THREE weeks to get everybody healthy, rested and ready. We had the best team in the NFC and we were playing at home. We were as rested and as healthy as we could be. We went up against a team that was broken down, beat up, and limping into our stadium. We'd already given them a beat down at their house. The game shouldnt even have been close. And what happens? That loss is on the coaching staff not having the team ready. And no amount of pleas, excuses and justifications will change that fact.

MileyDancer

Reaction score
Jason was never even a good OC. 2009 against Denver. On the goal line. We tried to run barber up the middle that failed 3 times in a row. If it didn't work the first 2 times, why are trying it a 3rd time? He got heat for it, so the next week against Chargers in the same situation he calls 3 throws, which also didn't work. He has no feel for the game.

People want to point at his 2 good seasons like that's going to be a trend, yet could only win ONE game without Romo in 2015. A good coach could have won a few of those games with Cassell, even though he's not that great. Billicheck won like 10 games with him, because unlike Garrett, he knows how to utilize EVERYBODY'S strengths.

I can't think of any coach off the top of my head that has single-handedly lost games.

haleyrules

Reaction score
Jason was never even a good OC. 2009 against Denver. On the goal line. We tried to run barber up the middle that failed 3 times in a row. If it didn't work the first 2 times, why are trying it a 3rd time? He got heat for it, so the next week against Chargers in the same situation he calls 3 throws, which also didn't work. He has no feel for the game.

People want to point at his 2 good seasons like that's going to be a trend, yet could only win ONE game without Romo in 2015. A good coach could have won a few of those games with Cassell, even though he's not that great. Billicheck won like 10 games with him, because unlike Garrett, he knows how to utilize EVERYBODY'S strengths.

I can't think of any coach off the top of my head that has single-handedly lost games.
Absolutely. He is only coaching in Dallas because ole Jerry boy can control and coach thru him. Your comments about him having no feel for the game hit the nail on the head.

haleyrules

Reaction score

Miley. Too me, Garretts worst call was the ill conceived pass to Bryant in the 2014 playoffs...that was a head scratcher!!