I Would bench T.O. and play this Giants team without him

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Something inside of me tells me that if Phillips/Garrett benched T.O. for this game the Offense will play at whole new higher level. That's because such a bold move would send a message to the rest of the offense saying "enough is enough; execute your assignments; hold your blocks; and run your routes, don't quit on them; and quit complaining like the world owes you".

Sometimes addition by subtraction is the best remedy. With T.O. out, there would be no question that the #1 WR option would be Witten when the TE is sent out for passes, or Roy Williams otherwise (who would be the #2 option following Witten). It would also bring Crayton into the passing game because right now, Romo never has time to go 4-deep into his reads. One problem this team faces week-to-week is not knowing who the primary target is. Benching T.O. would help solve that by allowing some level of structure to be added to the game plan that is currently lacking.

I'm also tired of T.O.’s cry-baby antics because, while every WR wants the ball like he does, the ones who deserve it are the ones who run their routes properly, fight for the ball, catch it when thrown to them, and fight the defender from intercepting it when its uncatchable. Sorry, but T.O. does not do those things. I think he has it in him, but when he sees that the game plan is not quite designed for him, he makes a mental decision not to do those things. So by having him present in the offense under those circumstances, he becomes more of a liability than an asset on the football filed.

So if that's the way it's going to be, and Garrett is going to continue to NOT make T.O. the focal point of the game-plan (and I’m not arguing that Garret is right here, but he seems to be stubborn about this, so we are forced to live with it), then we are better off not having T.O. on game day because his selfish side will take over.

And as indicated above, I’m not absolving Garrett here; I’m just accepting the fact that both Garrett and T.O. are selfishly stubborn and can’t seem to co-exist on the same game-plan page, and as long as that is the case, we might as well choose Garret’s stubbornness over T.O.’s because it’s Garrett who is ultimately calling these plays – right or wrong!

Just my $0.02. Rip me if you wish. :rolleyes:

Boysboy

Reaction score
Giants fans said the same thing about Plaxico Burress-but they're seeing the harsh reality without him now. Lazy, crybaby, and pouter he is, but opposing DCs didn't exactly see him that way when they game-planned.

BTW-you said this in another thread earlier...

Ummm, Garrett is running the very timing offense you speak of, which is why T.O. is struggling. Defenses know that they can jam him at the line and disrupt his timing. In the west coast offense where T.O. has thrived, this is not a facotr because precision routes are not the norm, while more freelancing is. The problem with T.O. this season is that he is playing in the timing offense like it is a west coast offense. But ultimately, you can't blame the player for lacked discipline when the offensive coordinator continuously starts him anyways.

Are you bi-polar?

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
And exactly what has happened to result in the benching of the #1 WR on the team???

If you want to start benching people for missed assignments, then Proctor isn't allowed past the front gate at Texas Stadium.

Romo isn't allowed within the city limits.

Why this and why now??

Royal Laegotti

Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy!
Reaction score
I wouldn't be against it. Seems like something maybe Jimmy Johnson would do if he were in that kind of situation......maybe!

Dallas didn't do well when T.O. got hurt last year but now we have Williams, so again I wouldn't be against it.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Boysboy;2478296 said:
Giants fans said the same thing about Plaxico Burress-but they're seeing the harsh reality without him now. Lazy, crybaby, and pouter he is, but opposing DCs didn't exactly see him that way when they game-planned.

Burress brings it on gameday. He's won 2 Super Bowls. He's the key part to the Giants' offensive success. Sorry, but comparing his weekly impact for the Giants offense to T.O.'s impact for Dallas' is simply not comparable.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
Boysboy;2478296 said:

The Giants have been without him at different times this year and haven't seemed to miss him much. I think what was/is hurting the Giants now is that everytime the media gets in the locker room with the players they ask them about Plax shooting himself......In other words his off the field distractions!

DeaconBlues

M'Kevon
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2478299 said:
Burress brings it on gameday. He's won 2 Super Bowls. He's the key part to the Giants' offensive success. Sorry, but comparing his weekly impact for the Giants offense to T.O.'s impact for Dallas' is simply not comparable.

The weekly impact shouldn't be measured as between Burress and TO, but between Crayton and TO.

Boysboy

Reaction score

Two? He only won one. He signed with the Giants in '05, the same year the Steelers won XL.

BTW-Burress did everything this AND last year in TC to keep himself out by milking/faking injuries(this year, he was crying for more $$$$). He also didn't participate in practice 95% of the time, which hurt his rhythm with Eli a bit.(Sure, they connected on some game-breaking passes, but they had more shares of mis-fires to boot b/c of the lack of timing) This year-you look at his stats, and he's been M.I.A.

But ultimately, DCs didn't see it this way and game-planned accordingly. Now-without him out of the lineup, they can simplify their game plan.

BTW-you were defending Owens earlier, why the change all of sudden?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2478303 said:
The Giants have been without him at different times this year and haven't seemed to miss him much. I think what was/is hurting the Giants now is that everytime the media gets in the locker room with the players they ask them about Plax shooting himself......In other words his off the field distractions!

Well-the distractions didn't seem to hurt them in the Skins game after it happened?

When he got injured in that Arizona game a couple of weeks ago, the Giants run game ended up disappearing with it(Yeah-Jacobs got hurt, but they have good depth at RB to pick up the slack).

Again-even Brian Dawkins admitted that it was much easier for them to gameplan with Burress out of the lineup.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
Boysboy;2478306 said:
Two? He only won one. He signed with the Giants in '05, the same year the Steelers won XL.

BTW-Burress did everything this AND last year in TC to keep himself out by milking/faking injuries(this year, he was crying for more $$$$). He also didn't participate in practice 95% of the time, which hurt his rhythm with Eli a bit.(Sure, they connected on some game-breaking passes, but they had more shares of mis-fires to boot b/c of the lack of timing) This year-you look at his stats, and he's been M.I.A.

But ultimately, DCs didn't see it this way and game-planned accordingly. Now-without him out of the lineup, they can simplify their game plan.

BTW-you were defending Owens earlier, why the change all of sudden?

Fine, burress won one SB; it's tit for tat. Whatever!

I was not defending T.O. earlier. You're misunderstanding. I simply have accepted the fact that T.O. cannot be anything but selfish when the gameplan is not designed around him. So if I know that about him, I'm wrong to expect anything other than selfishness when the gamep lan is not designed for him. By now Garrett should know this. So if Garret designes a plan not focused around T.O. he should not expect him to execute it for the sake of the team. So why line him up? Ultimately it's Garret's offense; he's the coach; T.O.'s Boss. So if Garret puts T.O. in a position where T.O. can't help himself but fail the team with his selfishness, then the blame is on Garett, not T.O. when that inevitable failure happens.

Boysboy

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2478313 said:
Fine, burress won one SB; it's tit for tat. Whatever!

I was not defending T.O. earlier. You're misunderstanding. I simply have accepted the fact that T.O. cannot be anything but selfish when the gameplan is not designed around him. So if I know that about him, I'm wrong to expect anything other than selfishness when the gamep lan is not designed for him. By now Garrett should know this. So if Garret designes a plan not focused around T.O. he should not expect him to execute it for the sake of the team. So why line him up? Ultimately it's Garret's offense; he's the coach; T.O.'s Boss. So if Garret puts T.O. in a position where T.O. can't help himself but fail the team with his selfishness, then the blame is on Garett, not T.O. when that inevitable failure happens.

This is what you said in another thread...

Ummm, Garrett is running the very timing offense you speak of, which is why T.O. is struggling. Defenses know that they can jam him at the line and disrupt his timing. In the west coast offense where T.O. has thrived, this is not a facotr because precision routes are not the norm, while more freelancing is. The problem with T.O. this season is that he is playing in the timing offense like it is a west coast offense. But ultimately, you can't blame the player for lacked discipline when the offensive coordinator continuously starts him anyways.

To me, it sounds like you said Garrett isn't playing to his strengths.

Royal Laegotti

Reaction score
Boysboy;2478308 said:
Well-the distractions didn't seem to hurt them in the Skins game after it happened?
It's the 'skins, they pretty much suck anyway.

Boysboy;2478308 said:
When he got injured in that Arizona game a couple of weeks ago, the Giants run game ended up disappearing with it(Yeah-Jacobs got hurt, but they have good depth at RB to pick up the slack).
I didn't see that whole game but the Giants won it with ease, pretty much!

Boysboy;2478308 said:
Again-even Brian Dawkins admitted that it was much easier for them to gameplan with Burress out of the lineup.
Probably true. I'm not saying Burress is worthless or unimportant to the Giants, well he's worthless to them now. What I am saying is I think they are stacked with enough depth at WR to still win the Superbowl without him even though it will be tougher plus I think they maybe the best coached team right now that factors in to. In their loss to Philly they just looked unfocused or distracted (wonder why) Philly didn't dominate them IMO, had Hixon caught the bomb from Eli they win by a point. Hixon's drop was a perfect example of what I mean by unfocused.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Royal Laegotti;2478318 said:
Probably true. I'm not saying Burress is worthless or unimportant to the Giants, well he's worthless to them now. What I am saying is I think they are stacked with enough depth at WR to still win the Superbowl without him even though it will be tougher plus I think they maybe the best coached team right now that factors in to. In their loss to Philly they just looked unfocused or distracted (wonder why) Philly didn't dominate them IMO, had Hixon caught the bomb from Eli they win by a point. Hixon's drop was a perfect example of what I mean by unfocused.

That and Philly was very desperate(plus they had 10 days to prepare-Reid never loses when he has extra time to prepare, except for that Super Bowl, of course).

Anyhow-I'm not trying to make a point that the Giants will fade(I think they'll bounce back from this), but was trying to point out that TO is important to this offense. As much as I dislike his antics, I'm not ready to throw in the towel and get rid of him.

ZB9

Reaction score
T.O. was right. Maybe getting called out will make Romo pull his head out

btw, im curious, where were Jerry Jones' comments when Romo was sitting out 3 weeks with a bad pinkie? He wants to criticize Barber publicly, for missing a game because of a bad toe?

kramskoi

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2478294 said:
Something inside of me tells me that if Phillips/Garrett benched T.O. for this game the Offense will play at whole new higher level. That's because such a bold move would send a message to the rest of the offense saying "enough is enough; execute your assignments; hold your blocks; and run your routes, don't quit on them; and quit complaining like the world owes you".

Sometimes addition by subtraction is the best remedy. With T.O. out, there would be no question that the #1 WR option would be Witten when the TE is sent out for passes, or Roy Williams otherwise (who would be the #2 option following Witten). It would also bring Crayton into the passing game because right now, Romo never has time to go 4-deep into his reads. One problem this team faces week-to-week is not knowing who the primary target is. Benching T.O. would help solve that by allowing some level of structure to be added to the game plan that is currently lacking.

I'm also tired of T.O.’s cry-baby antics because, while every WR wants the ball like he does, the ones who deserve it are the ones who run their routes properly, fight for the ball, catch it when thrown to them, and fight the defender from intercepting it when its uncatchable. Sorry, but T.O. does not do those things. I think he has it in him, but when he sees that the game plan is not quite designed for him, he makes a mental decision not to do those things. So by having him present in the offense under those circumstances, he becomes more of a liability than an asset on the football filed.

So if that's the way it's going to be, and Garrett is going to continue to NOT make T.O. the focal point of the game-plan (and I’m not arguing that Garret is right here, but he seems to be stubborn about this, so we are forced to live with it), then we are better off not having T.O. on game day because his selfish side will take over.

And as indicated above, I’m not absolving Garrett here; I’m just accepting the fact that both Garrett and T.O. are selfishly stubborn and can’t seem to co-exist on the same game-plan page, and as long as that is the case, we might as well choose Garret’s stubbornness over T.O.’s because it’s Garrett who is ultimately calling these plays – right or wrong!

??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

he's won one and you cannot say he brings it more than Owens, that is ********

Boysboy

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;2478347 said:
he's won one and you cannot say he brings it more than Owens, that is ********

I've seen Burress give up on his fair share of routes. Remember that Tennessee game 2 years ago where the Giants had a 21-0 lead with 7 minutes to go in the game, and the floodgates started when Eli threw a pick to Pacman, and it happened largely b/c Plax gave up on his route instead of fighting for the ball. And then on Eli's 2nd pick with the score tied 21-21, I believe Burress again slowed up on his route.(Oddly, I believe Pacman got his 2nd pick here)

With all the flack Eli got after this meltdown, everyone overlooked how Burress was actually the goat of this game.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;2478294 said:

http://i102.***BLOCKED***/albums/m109/dadymat/ohno.gif

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Let's take our most explosive offensive player off the field and put him on the bench. Yeah, that's the answer.

Kinda like Garrett. Hey Garrett, how about we remove the most dangerous route for TO from the play book, yeah the quick slant.