I would like to hear the arguments of Garrett supporters

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
I know that there are a few, if not many, well known posters who like (or liked) Garrett on this forum. I am very interested to hear what their thoughts are on Garrett at this point, and if they still believe in him. I do not at all mean this sarcastically or condescendingly, I am genuinely interested to hear your thoughts about our Head Coach, and if you are still behind them.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I am sure most still won't change their mind but I can't blame them for not showing up today. Why would anyone volunteer to be abused?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
I know that there are a few, if not many, well known posters who like (or liked) Garrett on this forum. I am very interested to hear what their thoughts are on Garrett at this point, and if they still believe in him. I do not at all mean this sarcastically or condescendingly, I am genuinely interested to hear your thoughts about our Head Coach, and if you are still behind them.

As a former Garrett supporter, I have no argument. :(

TimHortons

TheXFactor
Reaction score
No argument from me, but I don't want to lose just to fire Garrett, that's the only argument I have. I'd rather win the division even if it means Garrett will be back. I'm too much of a fan in order for me to root for WSH and PHI.

Fair enough. So if you had a choice between not making the playoffs + Garrett getting fired or making the playoffs + Garrett staying, you would choose the latter, correct?

cowboys1981

Reaction score
I would be for us making the playoffs regardless of what happens to Garrett. I wouldn't root for a loss for the sake of replacing a coach or higher draft positioning. I'd rather see us in the wild card game vs the Eagles flapping around.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I've been told my patience is unparalleled. My patience with Garrett is all but lost. Waiting to see how a coach can gather a team together, provide incentive (save the "money" argument), and that translate to execution on the field after those last two ballgames.

It's possible this team loses out. I hope they surprise me, but this season has been one of the most difficult to watch that I can remember. Mind you, I did sit through the Campo years of three straight 5-11 seasons, but I knew those teams were just plain bad. This team has as good a core of veterans and superstars as any. They have been wasted for far too long.

Mookie

Reaction score
Fair enough. So if you had a choice between not making the playoffs + Garrett getting fired or making the playoffs + Garrett staying, you would choose the latter, correct?
Absolutely, there's nothing better than winning, not a greater feeling in the world, at least for me.

You get to watch a group of players, who have been working together since earlier in the year to achieve a goal, riddled and decimated by injuries all year long, relievers coming in mid-season getting in shape faster than what the human body is used to, endless hours of film, gym, travel, autographs to sign, interviews to give, and finally achieving the goal of winning the division by sweeping the division games. Yes I’d take that even if it means Garrett stays because after that, who knows? Anything can happen, and it also meant Romo won two elimination games, and we have a playoff game at home against the Niners. Count me in!

neosapien23

Reaction score
I hate Jason Garrett but Jones has screwed him and he has not gotten a fair shake. Who's decision was it to hire Monte Kiffin? What kind of coach isn't allowed to hire his own staff? What kind of GM meddles and tells the HC to give up his play calling duties? Look I think Garrett sucks, but Jones sucks much more.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm on record in the other mega-fire-Garrett thread already. But, in a nutshell, I think there's no excuse for audibling out of a run on offense in position to run the clock down. I don't care if it's on Romo or Callahan, or Garrett, the buck should stop with the head coach on that, and he should be in the headset if he needs to be to make sure we're working the clock down. This is the series Demarco Murray was yelling about, to be clear. It was really, really stupid.

That said, our biggest issue is just that we became defenseless as soon as we lost the backup LBs we had in there, especially Durant at MLB. Our defense is an absolute trainwreck, and no matter where the buck stops for that, it's not very realistic to beat up on the coordinators for not being able to fix it on the fly.

The biggest issue for Garrett now, though, is the way in which we've lost the last few games. We got toyed with in one, and we got the rug yanked out form under us in this one. While I still like everything I always liked about him as a coach, I also think he's pretty close to losing the team for good right now. It's a tall order to think we'd fix the defense in an offseason without another change at coordinator and without introducing a lot of unknowns to the equation. I'm concerned he doesn't have enough runway to make the changes he needs to make. In short, I'd be worried we'd lose a game or two early, and then lose the team altogether. That's a lot of risk to justify giving the guy one more season.

So, I think he needs to win the East, and he probably needs to win a home playoff game, too, to keep his job. I can't see how we can realistically do either of those things with the current defensive personnel. So, I'd bet he's gone after this season, and it will be the right decision.

I do still like the guy a lot, though, and think that many posters don't like him for all the wrong reasons. I hope I'm wrong, and the new guy brings in a positive new direction and a real change in our late season fortunes.

Common Sense

Reaction score
I hate Jason Garrett but Jones has screwed him and he has not gotten a fair shake. Who's decision was it to hire Monte Kiffin? What kind of coach isn't allowed to hire his own staff? What kind of GM meddles and tells the HC to give up his play calling duties? Look I think Garrett sucks, but Jones sucks much more.

Using that logic, Garrett never should have been here in the first place.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I don't know if another coach can do better with Jerry as the boss.

Garrett has obvious game management problems and his offensive scheme is questionable; however, things could get worse if Jerry hires another Wade Phillips.

Do you want Jerry to make a another Roy Williams or Joey Galloway trade? Garrett appears to at least put up some resistance to Jerry's meddling which is something that Wade and Campo didn't even try to do.

Aikmaniac

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Garrett has obvious game management problems and his offensive scheme is questionable; however, things could get worse if Jerry hires another Wade Phillips.

Do you want Jerry to make a another Roy Williams or Joey Galloway trade? Garrett appears to at least put up some resistance to Jerry's meddling which is something that Wade and Campo didn't even try to do.

This.

Nothing resonated more than what Bill Cowher said in his recent interview.

jwitten82

Reaction score

Phiklips won 2 division titles and a playoff game, if our next coach can do that then ill be fine with that

Status
Not open for further replies.